• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All you people making bread and pizza are getting me jealous. any recommended types of flour?

Active dry vs instant yeast?

Last edited:

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
King Arthur Bread Flour. (Good luck finding it.)

I always use instant yeast now.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
King Arthur Bread Flour. (Good luck finding it.)

I always use instant yeast now.
I get 25 pound bags of Ardent Mills (Denver, CO) bread flour from Costco. That costs about the same as a 5-pound bag of King Arthur flour at Safeway.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get 25 pound bags of Ardent Mills (Denver, CO) bread flour from Costco. That costs about the same as a 5-pound bag of King Arthur flour at Safeway.
How quickly do you go through it? I've thought about buying from Costco or a restaurant supply, but flour does go stale.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How quickly do you go through it? I've thought about buying from Costco or a restaurant supply, but flour does go stale.
I make a loaf of crusty bread about every five days. The bags last about 2.5 months, and I haven’t had one go stale. I do live in a dry climate though, so that’s a consideration as well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
FYI, King Arthur has inventory again, order off their website.

My default is KA bread flour but Mrs. Piob likes to buy baking shit. I have a couple different 00, a locally grown heirloom bread making flour, semolina, etc. I have a bag of Red Star yeast I keep in the freezer and store a small working jar in the fridge.

Currently my go to pizza dough is 50% of that heirloom flour and 50% KA bread.

Change of plans for meals. Decided not to make buns so gourmet, self-ground (LOL) burgers next weekend. Today homemade potato gnocchi with a Mediterranean style presentation to include sliced pieces of half a ribeye I had cooked in the freezer.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, King Arthur has inventory again, order off their website.

My default is KA bread flour but Mrs. Piob likes to buy baking shit. I have a couple different 00, a locally grown heirloom bread making flour, semolina, etc. I have a bag of Red Star yeast I keep in the freezer and store a small working jar in the fridge.

Currently my go to pizza dough is 50% of that heirloom flour and 50% KA bread.

Change of plans for meals. Decided not to make buns so gourmet, self-ground (LOL) burgers next weekend. Today homemade potato gnocchi with a Mediterranean style presentation to include sliced pieces of half a ribeye I had cooked in the freezer.
Looks like it's all backordered 3-4 weeks. But I might have enough to get me through until then.

I want to try a high gluten flour like Sir Lancelot or All Trumps for my pizza dough, but it's over 2x the cost of KABF. Maybe I can find someone to split a 50 lbs. bag.

Tonight I am attempting southern fried chicken for the first time ever. Going to try to do it outside with my induction hob so I don't stink up the house.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like it's all backordered 3-4 weeks. But I might have enough to get me through until then.

I want to try a high gluten flour like Sir Lancelot or All Trumps for my pizza dough, but it's over 2x the KABF. Maybe I can find someone to split a 50 lbs. bag.

Tonight I am attempting southern fried chicken for the first time ever. Going to try to do it outside with my induction hob so I don't stink up the house.
I air fried some chicken last night for the first time ever and it was damn good.

For me the most important step in fried chicken or steak is tenderizing and seasoning it with salt and pepper before breading. I also cook good fried shit, but my breading sucks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This was from awhile ago. Did fries and onion rings too.

45BF7C18-1A95-4B8F-A2A7-B61472E25985.jpeg
9ED1C9C5-EFEF-4C79-8AAC-A9828020A13A.jpeg
3AEC4124-8233-4C71-8688-1345B747D1A2.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a popeyes strip recipe not too long ago. I believe someone around here called me a child. 🙄

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a popeyes strip recipe not too long ago. I believe someone around here called me a child. 🙄
I stan Popeyes. If I thought ahead I would have made their dirty rice, too.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
F28E34DE-3F41-47CE-906D-FBFB2D56EEAE.jpeg
EB37B70C-D411-45EA-8240-4C32CAEA27D4.jpeg
C61AAA5F-8BF3-4A1C-9D3D-EF6110E9F995.jpeg
5A815BD9-13D2-42A0-AE8E-C7183D806C27.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.