• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL THREAD: General Cookery and Discussion

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as you call it rapeseed oil, he’s all for it.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cooked with the kids - rigatoni alla vodka and swedish meatballs.

IMG_9476.jpeg
IMG_9474.jpeg

WestLinn

Reaction score
In the last couple of years I’ve befriended a cast iron reseller who sells out of his trailer in the WMT parking lot near me. Some time ago he had the 11“ Griswald so I picked that out for a present from the wife. I then asked him to score be a smaller one and he found me the 6.5”, it’s a Chicago casting model I guess. The 11” was $110 but he let me have the 6.5” for $20. I just like them because they are chromed and look unique. Terry is a good old boy and is fun to talk to about the history of these things. He had a single pour spout version the other day which dates it to pre 1885 (I think) since makers started adding the second pour spout after that. I got to know him as I was looking through his items and he had a cast iron krumkakke maker and had no idea what it was. It was from a foundry in Minnesota due to all the Norwegian folks from around there.

Attachments

• IMG_7883.jpeg
    IMG_7883.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7884.jpeg
    IMG_7884.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7886.jpeg
    IMG_7886.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 85

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Made a delicious chicken marsala last night and plated it with cacio e pepe in a saturn bowl. It was effing delicious but basically brown food doesn't photograph well.

WestLinn

Reaction score
Made a delicious chicken marsala last night and plated it with cacio e pepe in a saturn bowl. It was effing delicious but basically brown food doesn't photograph well.
Cacio is a bit tricky, I tend to go with easier pasta dishes.

Its just the boy son and me these next few days as he works is comp science internship from home. On a recent video, Chef John showed how to use rice paper wraps so I grabbed some yesterday and made lettuce wraps but in a rice paper shell rather than lettuce and rolled them like a burrito. More experimenting is needed to optimize the stability of them but all in all they were good. I need my basil plants to regrow now before I make it again.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the last couple of years I’ve befriended a cast iron reseller who sells out of his trailer in the WMT parking lot near me. Some time ago he had the 11“ Griswald so I picked that out for a present from the wife. I then asked him to score be a smaller one and he found me the 6.5”, it’s a Chicago casting model I guess. The 11” was $110 but he let me have the 6.5” for $20. I just like them because they are chromed and look unique. Terry is a good old boy and is fun to talk to about the history of these things. He had a single pour spout version the other day which dates it to pre 1885 (I think) since makers started adding the second pour spout after that. I got to know him as I was looking through his items and he had a cast iron krumkakke maker and had no idea what it was. It was from a foundry in Minnesota due to all the Norwegian folks from around there.
Wild, I don't think I've ever seen chromed cast iron before!

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two of my favorites - I will let the fact that you served them on the same plate slide :)

WestLinn

Reaction score
You can find them on eBay. They aren't nearly as common as the traditional black versions but it's not as if they are super rare. Prices are all over the place, so I don't know if I paid too much or got a bargain. I'm happy to give Terry some profit, the guy does this as a side business, and I don't think his main job is overtly lucrative. He actually moves a lot of merchandise so his prices must be good.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cacio is a bit tricky, I tend to go with easier pasta dishes.
I had a video from the kitchen of Rosciolo in Rome where the cook showed how he did it, can't find it.
Immersion/wand blender to whip up the Pecorino cheese with the pasta water into a perfect paste. Then just mix it in with the pasta.
Works like a charm...

WestLinn

Reaction score
I had a video from the kitchen of Rosciolo in Rome where the cook showed how he did it, can't find it.
Immersion/wand blender to whip up the Pecorino cheese with the pasta water into a perfect paste. Then just mix it in with the pasta.
Works like a charm...
I think I’ve seen vids on YouTube similar to this. I think this interaction may have inspired me to try that and see how it comes out. My favorite pasta sauce is one that I had at our favorite Italian restaurant when we lived in Chicago, Roseangelis. We were poor then and couldn’t go out often since I was in school, but the few times I went I always got ravioli with a cream sauce that had gorgonzola, walnuts and grapes. I’ve made it on my own without a recipe and it’s as good as I remember. If I can make it well, I can guarantee that most folks on here can make it.

WestLinn

Reaction score
Terry was out selling again today and had two more chromed ones but also had a nickel plated one. He offered it to me for $100 And it is well worth that but I don’t need to keep accumulating things. It’s a Wagner, not Griswald, and the bottom was factory finished so smooth it was like Teflon. If I see him again and he still has it I’m buying it. My kids never have to buy any pots and pans that’s for sure, just grab from the kitchen drawers and pantry.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I think I’ve seen vids on YouTube similar to this. I think this interaction may have inspired me to try that and see how it comes out. My favorite pasta sauce is one that I had at our favorite Italian restaurant when we lived in Chicago, Roseangelis. We were poor then and couldn’t go out often since I was in school, but the few times I went I always got ravioli with a cream sauce that had gorgonzola, walnuts and grapes. I’ve made it on my own without a recipe and it’s as good as I remember. If I can make it well, I can guarantee that most folks on here can make it.

As someone who loves walnuts, I always feel disappointed by pasta with walnuts. I don't know why. Maybe I expect too much.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

tbh I prefer walnuts on the side with some blue cheese or gorgonzola and vinaigrettte , maybe some pears ... likewise in school we had a fave Italian spot in Santa Barbara for date nights . the place is still there (pascucci's) but they don't have the walnut gorgonzola salad on the menu anymore . we used to split a tre formaggio penne dish ( still on the menu ) and that salad . really great spot .

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asimplefarmer