• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall, I kinda liked the show. I sorta dug the "The Federation isn't perfect, people are complicated and ******, and the universe is dangerous and messed up" vibe. It was definitely uneven and there were some filler episodes, but I'd be willing to watch the second season.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overall, I kinda liked the show. I sorta dug the "The Federation isn't perfect, people are complicated and ******, and the universe is dangerous and messed up" vibe. It was definitely uneven and there were some filler episodes, but I'd be willing to watch the second season.

It looked great (my son, who's never watched any Trek before said it looked "better than Star Wars") and I'd say there was about a 60% hit rate with episodes. That's pretty good. People forget how terrible the first season of TNG was...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched the finale of Lovecraft Country WTF is this crock of ****. Personally don’t bother with the series read the book much more entertaining.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was pretty underwhelmed with Picard. And not b/c I'm some anti-SJW chud or something; I actually think DISCO is a far better show.

But man oh man am I HYPED for Expanse S5!

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think DISCO is a far better show.
I think you're right, though I want to like Picard more, just because of nostalgia (and hotter wimminz).
Same.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're right, though I want to like Picard more, just because of nostalgia (and hotter wimminz).

Same here. Well almost. I never really lusted after any Star Trek women. But it was def nostalgia that drew me to Picard (and hopes that it would have Worf....oh well maybe when they bring back DS9).

Cara Gee in Expanse on the other hand....what a honey!

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, hell yes. Frankie Adams, too. I dig that Kiwi accent.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was pretty underwhelmed with Picard. And not b/c I'm some anti-SJW chud or something; I actually think DISCO is a far better show.

I don’t think either are great shows. Overall I liked Picard more, but man it fell apart as the show went on. The final was a mess. Both make me miss TNG.

Speaking of classic Sci Fi, I think it’s time for a rewatch of Babylon 5. :slayer:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regarding Picard, a lot of people miss that this version of his character feels more like what we saw in TNG movies then we did in the TV show. The movies amped up the action and adjusted the characters to fit that kind of narrative. Picard in the tv show was an ambassador at heart, negotiator, and even slightly detached. I'm not sure if this pivot is good or bad, but it's understandable that hardcore fans of the original show may not care for it.

Personally, this isn't what bothered me. It was the overall writing that drove towards a nonsensical final that turned me off. Still, i'm willing to give season 2 a shot to see where it goes.

EDIT: Also I'm on record as saying I view that the modernization of Star Trek can be a good thing. It was handled wonderfully in the first of the reboot films. It's just not much since then has nailed the landing as well.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

**** yea Expanse Season 5.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Interesting...
Drummer has off-beat good looks, she's definitely not a Barbie. I was starting to think I was alone in wanting to tenderly pork her.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only just watching it now on DVD, and it is really very good indeed. It's like the better bits of TNG and DS9 put together with an added cyberpunk feel to it. Corruption, sleeze and spies everywhere, the Federation feeling like it's falling apart... and Patrick Stewart seems to be really enjoying himself. The Nepenthe episode was excellent but it's all been good. I really hope they do a second series because it's better than anything else Star Trek for quite a while.

And then I made the mistake of reading the 'fan' reviews on IMDB, and wow, are there some numbnuts out there. The reviews seem dominated by people who seem to think that this should have been exactly like TNG - but not the real TNG, some weird imaginary TNG that wasn't 'politically correct' (oh, they hate that). Seems like fan reviews are just the place where reactionary people who think they aren't political go to do politics (or they're just narked because they didn't get to see 7 of 9's ****). Anyway, I won't bother going there again!

I didn't watch Picard, since I did watch a Red Letter Media review. The whole TNG timeline is about an evolved human race beyond racism, speciesism, and normal human wants and needs. A proces of hundreds of years, in combination with the first contact wil an alien species.

Riker had sexy intergalactic sex all the time. To go back on that takes some getting used to.

Which, as I said, I haven't tried as of yet.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seven of Nine. I would like to give One.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads