• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The book wasn't good. I will still give the movie a shot, and hope it's good.

Whaaaat...

When did you read it? I’m reading it now for the first time (though the 1984 movie tie-in edition has been a favorite possession since I was a kid) and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. And this is from a grade A lit snob.

It’s making me wonder what other genre stuff I may have overlooked.

One thought on casting, though: Seems the Fremen are going to be a rainbow coalition of white, black, Latin, Arab, etc. Wouldn’t an indigenous desert people all look the same?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if you're RACIST!!!!!!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whaaaat...

When did you read it? I’m reading it now for the first time (though the 1984 movie tie-in edition has been a favorite possession since I was a kid) and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. And this is from a grade A lit snob.

It’s making me wonder what other genre stuff I may have overlooked.

One thought on casting, though: Seems the Fremen are going to be a rainbow coalition of white, black, Latin, Arab, etc. Wouldn’t an indigenous desert people all look the same?

I read it 5-7 years ago. I personally thought the writing was bad, especially the dialogue, and the story was boring and predictable. IIRC the entire end game, love interest and all, was painfully obvious in the first 1/4 of the book. I might just be a curmudgeon.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone watching snowpiercer?
I'm watching it. The first episode kind of sucked but the second one was more interesting. I'll stick with it for the first season to see how I like it before deciding to ditch or not.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I read it 5-7 years ago. I personally thought the writing was bad, especially the dialogue, and the story was boring and predictable. IIRC the entire end game, love interest and all, was painfully obvious in the first 1/4 of the book. I might just be a curmudgeon.

That’s cool. The movie’s engraved in my mind, so I’m mostly noting the differences. Someone said the book (written in 1965) can seem hackneyed because so many others copied it. I wish I had a better knowledge of science fiction to tell.

Having not finished yet, one thing I like from the beginning is the greater ambiguity of the whole messiah thing. Like it’s a world aware of messiah narratives, making Paul and the Bene Geserit just seem like a bunch of eugenics douchebags.

Also funny: the spice is LSD and the Fremen are pretty much 1980s Afghani warriors.

Last edited:

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read all The Expanse books and I really like the show.
Anyone read The Passage trilogy? Ridley Scott bought up the film rights for what was a big sum at the time.
And then there was talk of a movie, then a series. It ended up on Fox with the casting and story blenderized.
Cancelled after one season.
Thanks, Ridley...

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s cool. The movie’s engraved in my mind, so I’m mostly noting the differences. Someone said the book (written in 1965) can seem hackneyed because so many others copied it. I wish I had a better knowledge of science fiction to tell.

Having not finished yet, one thing I like from the beginning is the greater ambiguity of the whole messiah thing. Like it’s a world aware of messiah narratives, making Paul and the Bene Geserit just seem like a bunch of eugenics douchbags.

Also funny: the spice is LSD and the Fremen are pretty much 1989s Afghani warriors.

I had that same thought that maybe it's a victim of its success. If the writing and dialogue weren't so bad i would have given it more thought.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've read all The Expanse books and I really like the show.
Anyone read The Passage trilogy? Ridley Scott bought up the film rights for what was a big sum at the time.
And then there was talk of a movie, then a series. It ended up on Fox with the casting and story blenderized.
Cancelled after one season.
Thanks, Ridley...

Do the Expanse books really stand out? I think Synthese was a big fan.

i was going to say don’t get too excited over Ridley Scott as he’s been working in television lately (The Good Wife), and the Passage adaptation tanked hard.

i skipped the book because (at least as the articles I read portrayed him) the author was consciously trying to dumb down his usual approach and design something popular.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no problem tossing a book on the shelf it's not working.
There's not too many ways you can spin a vampire type monster that's super fresh, but I thought he did a great job.
The series pulled me in, it's pretty epic in scale and I was hoping it would go to HBO.
There's a HUGE time jump that kind of throws you for a loop
I thought Fox also bungled marketing The Exorcist tv show, which I though was excellent. 1st season being better than the 2nd.
And sorry, misread your post. Thought you asked about The Passage books.
I'm a fan of the whole Expanse book series. Enjoyed everyone.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legends of Tomorrow is some weird ****, but I can't stop watching.
It's like the show runners said, "*******, let's do some crazy ****" back in the third season and everyone had so much fun, they just kept cranking up the silliness. There's at least one moment in every show where I laugh out loud and ask myself, "how high were they when they wrote that?"

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
6146E019-886B-484B-99A1-CA7AAEF047C1.jpeg

Breaking news: The novel Corona virus rages, and this guy’s a huge Doctor Strange fan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads