• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s why Superman has always bored me. He’s the ultimate Deus Ex Machina, and they jump through a million hoops to explain why he doesn’t just vaporize Batman’s Rogues Gallery once and for all.
Writters don't need to jump through hoops to explain why a farmboy from Kansas doesn't commit mass murder. 🤷‍♂️

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Writters don't need to jump through hoops to explain why a farmboy from Kansas doesn't commit mass murder. 🤷‍♂️
That’s a hoop the original writers jumped through: “How do we make this godlike alien less than utterly terrifying?”

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very minor spoiler for WandaVision finale:

I'm pretty happy with how they managed to make the Scarlet Witch costume work out IRL without being ridiculous. Wasn't sure that would work.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very minor spoiler for WandaVision finale:

I'm pretty happy with how they managed to make the Scarlet Witch costume work out IRL without being ridiculous. Wasn't sure that would work.
absolutely loved the updated take on her comic costume

also, the mid credits and after credits

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's a fun tidbit the only time i ever ran across Scarlet Witch or Vision in the comics was in the marvel spoof book, 'What The ?'

the bit in the comic actually injected the characters into a TV sitcom and was, presumably, where disney got the idea to use classic tv to develop the plot of the show. what show did they use in the comic? Married... with Children! ha.

WandaVision-Married-with-Superpowers.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally caught up with The Expanse yesterday. Good stuff.
We've been doing the same. I delayed for quite a while because I read the first book and it was weak and badly written.

However the TV version has been excellent and almost everything it does improves on the books. I've found the first 3 series really good, but the fourth one weaker, I think mainly because of a combination of a loss of direction and focus, and some of the characters becoming stereotypes of themselves - especially Chrisjen Avasarala, who was probably my favourite character up until this point (along with Amos), but in series 4 just became an older woman who said 'fuck' every other word. That's not really much of a character trait. The only character I've really dislike throughout has been Holden, simply because he's a one-dimensional doe-eyed white saviour, who reminds me more than anything else of Frodo in The Lord of the Rings films - he similarly seems to have only one facial expression with varying degrees of intensity. He's just boring. Bobbie is much better as a basically good but complex, messed up protagonist.

Anyway, we're on Series 5 now, and interested to see how things are going to go with Marco Inaros, who seems to be returning some real fire and threat to the ranks of the Belters, who'd become a bit too boring recently.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've been doing the same. I delayed for quite a while because I read the first book and it was weak and badly written.

However the TV version has been excellent and almost everything it does improves on the books. I've found the first 3 series really good, but the fourth one weaker, I think mainly because of a combination of a loss of direction and focus, and some of the characters becoming stereotypes of themselves - especially Chrisjen Avasarala, who was probably my favourite character up until this point (along with Amos), but in series 4 just became an older woman who said 'fuck' every other word. That's not really much of a character trait. The only character I've really dislike throughout has been Holden, simply because he's a one-dimensional doe-eyed white saviour, who reminds me more than anything else of Frodo in The Lord of the Rings films - he similarly seems to have only one facial expression with varying degrees of intensity. He's just boring. Bobbie is much better as a basically good but complex, messed up protagonist.

Anyway, we're on Series 5 now, and interested to see how things are going to go with Marco Inaros, who seems to be returning some real fire and threat to the ranks of the Belters, who'd become a bit too boring recently.
Holden gets a pass from me for his obsessive love of coffee...

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobbie is much better as a basically good but complex, messed up protagonist.
This describes basically all my favorite characters- Drummer, Bobbie, and Ashford. A mess, but trying to do the right thing, even if they're not sure what that is. They all changed through the episodes and did some unexpected things along the way. Holden's boring, like you say- mostly because he's exactly the same person at the end of season 5 as he was at the beginning of season one.

Season 5 has some interesting developments and is, in my opinion, much stronger than season 4.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holden really grew on me as the show went on. After Season 5, Naomi became my hands-down favorite, for obvious reasons.

edit: And say what ya will about James Holden, but he's still 10x the military strategist as his counterpart, Jon Snow. Jimmy would know better than to send a cavalry after a horde of zombies, in pitch dark, and probably wouldn't put the siege engines in front of the ramparts either.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And say what ya will about James Holden, but he's still 10x the military strategist as his counterpart, Jon Snow. Jimmy would know better than to send a cavalry after a horde of zombies, in pitch dark, and probably wouldn't put the siege engines in front of the ramparts either.
That's an unfair comparison. Jon Snow was a fucking moron.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holden really grew on me as the show went on. After Season 5, Naomi became my hands-down favorite, for obvious reasons.

edit: And say what ya will about James Holden, but he's still 10x the military strategist as his counterpart, Jon Snow. Jimmy would know better than to send a cavalry after a horde of zombies, in pitch dark, and probably wouldn't put the siege engines in front of the ramparts either.
Plus, he's had zero gravity sex...
I've done some things, but that is one up on me.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Binged out on WandaVision. Fascinating story excellent visuals loved the TV sitcom appropriation,mixed some very divergent marvel storyline’s then added a bit more to produce a fascinating visual & narrative experience.

Now really curious about the next Dr Strange film.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 38 14.9%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Carmina

Votes: 40 15.7%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other

Votes: 79 31.0%