• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not excited to see Joker. It's been getting rave reviews. Hear me out.

It seems really cheap that they invented a back story where he's a sympathetic character who had a heart of gold but then went crazy off his meds.

I heard his family in the movie are servants of the Wayne family too. He has a vendetta against them because they nickel and dimed his family. Stupid. A little too on the nose.

Also, the producers are really playing up the homage to Taxi Driver. Feels contrived.

Will wait for this one on video.

That sounds cheap as ****. A personal grudge against the Waynes is so goddamn lazy.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Turning your nose to a film that’s been getting extremely positive reviews based on random out of context plot points that are rumored is always a smart move.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ They're true.

Hollywood Reporter. Super lame.

Stitching their original supervillain genesis story neatly into the classic Batman world, Phillips and Silver have prominent moneybags Thomas Wayne (Brett Cullen) announcing a run for mayor, with a promise to set the fractured city back on the right path. Penny Fleck worked for the Wayne family for many years, but her letters appealing for help, especially as she worries more and more about the stability of her son, have gone unanswered.

When Arthur reads one of them, he learns a different history than the one his mother has shared, leading to a pair of uneasy encounters — one with a brusquely dismissive Thomas Wayne at a gala screening of Chaplin's Modern Times, and a creepily portentous introduction through the iron gates of Wayne Manor to the mayoral candidate's young son Bruce (Dante Pereira-Olson), in which an unidentified Alfred (Douglas Hodge) intervenes. The murder of Bruce's parents sticks to the version depicted in the Christopher Nolan movies and elsewhere, but the Joker's evolution feels freshly minted, partially driven by a now far more personal resentment of the Wayne family.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sharing plot spoilers without tagging them. Even better. Hooray!

Movie has been getting fantastic buzz and early reviews. The trailers have been great too. No reason to get cynical about it from what we know and have seen. Even your shared spoilers are out of the context of having seen how they play out on the screen.

In other words wait till the film is actually out and the general public has seen it.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also they're saying Phoenix should win an Oscar for this.

So let me get this straight, the Oscar should award to two actors for the same character within a 10 year period?

RDJ deserves it a lot more. He took an C-list comic character and made it it his own.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So this is a MCU vs DCU thing for you?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. I wanted this movie to be good. Sounds lame now.

Also, it's not even DCU. It's the R-rated "DC Black Label" according to Todd Phillips. This and presumably the next Batman movie are set in a different universe. Sounds like the next Batman movie may take place in the 80s or 90s. Bruce Wayne is like 13 in this movie.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used “DCU” in the context of the fact it’s a DC film. Yes they have said it won’t be connected to the shared universe we have seen till now. I’m all for DC taking a break from the shared universe thing and focusing on making the films that let them tell the best stories for their characters.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Joker having a logical and believable reason for anything seems a bit antithetical to his character, and to entwine his identity with the Waynes like that is cringey, as the kidz say.

I’m sure the performances are good, but why would they do all that?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mean the original Tim Burton did it and people consider it a classic. Hell the new MCU Spider-Man films have castrated his deep guilt over his Uncle Ben so they could turn him into a Tony Stark fanboy. They seem to be connecting with audiences too.

I have no idea if Joker will be any good, but the rumored changes mentioned here seem far less drastic changes then either of the two I mentioned above.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, the ‘89 Batman is a camp classic at best. There was so much buzz and excitement surrounding comics then, especially Batman, as writers weren’t glossing over, but playing up all the darker wtf -type elements that were there from the beginning. I don’t think anyone expected that from the movie, though (whose marketing in the form of t-shirts, frisbees, cereal /absolutely anything — a friend of mine joked about his sister coming home with Bat-gisil — seemed to begin about a year before the movie even came out), nor did they expect a faithful adaptation. It was a spectacle unto itself. Still, I remember every kid feeling let down by the Joker, his stupid tie-in to Batman, and especially Nicholson’s portrayal (kids not tending to care about his reputation as an actor and certainly not the ‘hilarity ‘ of him playing the same old heightened/imaginary version of himself instead of trying to attempt some version of an actual character with a history). I really hope that wasn’t the (non)inspiration behind the current meddling, though I guess it doesn’t matter.

That’s an interesting point about the new Spider-Man though. I assumed Marvel believed the audience is so familiar with the character by now, they’re just outsourcing it to their memories.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turning your nose to a film that’s been getting extremely positive reviews based on random out of context plot points that are rumored is always a smart move.

I don't disagree, and will probably go see it in theaters.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not that they rewrote the story that bothers me. It's that it's been done in a lame way.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not that they rewrote the story that bothers me. It's that it's been done in a lame way.

Your boy from Emergency Awesome loved it. I think Grace from Beyond the Trailer did too, but I haven’t watched her review.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads