1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

I've kind of hit Netflix MCU fatigue. Watched Luke Cage S2 and started in on Iron Fist S2, but I never finished the first episode. Just got bored. The seasons always start off too damned slow and Iron Fist just isn't interesting enough to pull me through it.

I'll watch Daredevil S3, heard good things and it has the most potential of the Netflix shows (probably tied with Jessica Jones).

2. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Pity about Iron Fist. While season one was mind-boggling bad, I though season 2 was excellent. The acting was much better as was the writing. While it was a low bar, the fight choreography was also very well done and while I thought the post-ending was a bit hokey in part (the Asia quest part), it also made some sense. Overall, it was one of the better entries in the Marvel/Netflix series.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018

3. dopey

Started watching Black Lightning season 1. Two episodes in, I thought it had promise. Four episodes in, and it is awful.

4. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Do you have a time-turner like Hermione than allows you to go back in time and fit all these shows into your nights?

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Reviews on daredevil so far look 'meh'

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Really? That's surprising to hear. It's been the strongest Marvel property on Netflix so far.

7. dopey

^I'm not sure if I agree. DD S 2 was marred by a stupid second half, which brings it down to Luke Cage (Season 1 had a stupid second half, season 2 was solid) and Jessica Jones (Season 1 was mostly great, season 2 was ok) level. So far, Punisher is the only top tier show for me since it had only one season and that was great. Iron Fist season 2 was good, but season 1 was so bad that a strong second season isn't enough. But I can't deny DD has been pretty good. I just don't think it is a clear No. 1

8. Jr Mouse

Second halves of seasons being a drag is kind of the Marvel Netflix trademark.

9. Jr Mouse

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Stylish Dinosaur

It's more like "first three or four episodes, and also the last couple episodes are a drag", which might explain why they're struggling. Too many episodes and not enough plot.

I actually liked where Luke Cage was going. A little disappointed we don't get more of that one.

11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

Wtf? Luke cage was good.... getting weird

Sounds like creative differences/internal politics rather than ratings

12. Jr Mouse

No really. The first haves are usually pretty damn good. First few episodes and all. It's nailing the second halves of the seasons they struggle with. Even if they do manage to nail a few good scenes in the final few.

I do agree they are too many episodes long. It's a point I've brought up before.

I'm watching season 3 of DD and so far it's great! On episode 6 and I'd say it's easily the best thing Netflix has done with Marvel since season 1 of DD.

13. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

Often networks make these questionable choices. It is similar to when FOX cancelled Space Above and Beyond after just one season. Sometimes they fail to market a good series properly which is a shame.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

Isn’t Fox the one that killed Firefly? I think that was the most egregious; marketed as something it wasn’t, episodes played out of order, then canceled abruptly. Netflix at least seems like a team effort, and they did commit to revamping Iron Fist for a second season, which was admirable.

15. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

Yes, they are quite experienced at killing good shows