• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lol, how did you like the rest?
Lol. I just continued today and am still watching, but you wouldn't believe it . . . T'Challa didn't die. The Gorilla Tribe found his body but he is in a coma and the are keeping him on ice, literally. I think they are going to revive him, though. It's a good thing his mom and sister and girlfriend brought the heart-shaped herb with them. They will probably use that.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good movie. Except for the clunky CGI in the mass fights. Those looked very blocky and sometimes silly and too much distracting CGI. The one-on-one fights were pretty good though (the challenges were better than the vibranium mine subway Killmonger/T'Challa fight). Definitely a solid entry.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw Ready Player One.

Thought it was pretty neat. Obviously knew how it would end up, but I did like how they manager to weave in nerd history/easter eggs

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My son came by this morning with one of his mates who is a Marvel fanboy. Had a prolonged discussion on part two of Infinity Wars and what potential story lines exist.

Then went up to my friend the Marvel merchant and he produced a copy of Fantastic Four 1 graded at an 8 which will go for at least six figures. He’s totally freaked by it all. He also showed me Incredible Hulk 1 autographed by Stan Lee which is not for sale. Plus a box full of early 60’s Marvel all starting at $2500 and then climbing m.

Blows my mind the money people are prepared to pay for them. Does not compute.

Godot

Reaction score
My son came by this morning with one of his mates who is a Marvel fanboy. Had a prolonged discussion on part two of Infinity Wars and what potential story lines exist.

Then went up to my friend the Marvel merchant and he produced a copy of Fantastic Four 1 graded at an 8 which will go for at least six figures. He’s totally freaked by it all. He also showed me Incredible Hulk 1 autographed by Stan Lee which is not for sale. Plus a box full of early 60’s Marvel all starting at $2500 and then climbing m.

Blows my mind the money people are prepared to pay for them. Does not compute.

long term I think these are very much like Cabbage Patch Dolls or Baseball cards. Probably some of these items will have long term value, but eventually the bubble will burst.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
long term I think these are very much like Cabbage Patch Dolls or Baseball cards. Probably some of these items will have long term value, but eventually the bubble will burst.
The comic book bubble already burst. It was late 90's after a huge runup in the early 90's. A lot of comic book publishers went bankrupt and Marvel was on the verge of it.

Godot

Reaction score
The comic book bubble already burst. It was late 90's after a huge runup in the early 90's. A lot of comic book publishers went bankrupt and Marvel was on the verge of it.

Your right they were brining in big bucks for awhile and then the bubble burst. They have risen again due to the obsession with science fiction (which I enjoy) and things like Comic Con. There are three retail shops in my area that specialize in comic books, games, artificial weapons and the like. Right now this crap is selling, but at some point, people will lose interest. Example, when the Hunger Games fist came out there was a huge rise in the sales of archery equipment, particularly with the traditional bows. Now the market has reverted to it's normal level. Before the movie The Tracker came out the Todd Begg handmade knife was selling for $400. Movie came out & the price became $4000. There was even a lawsuit about who owned the rights to the knife design. Now you can get an off shore clone for $20-$30 on Amazon & if you really want one, a hand forged one for $300-$500 from a good maker. These markets are very fluid.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember a comic book having a production run of 50,000 an issue was considered small and now 50,000 is practically a top selling book.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They haven't risen that much. You can get decent cash for issues that movie plots might be based on, but we are not where even close to bubble territory again.

Go look up the running price for Infinity Gauntlet #1 in above average condition on eBay. They are averaging between $20 and $35. If the first issue for the special event that biggest Marvel film ever is based off of can't easily break $50 you are not in bubble territory.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be a different market dynamic functioning in Australia. I saw a mid range grade of the first appearance of Thanos in Iron Man for $500 and oddly enough the Jim Stalin Captain Marvel/Thanos series was priced around $250 to $15 depending on the condition. The Black Panther first appearance in the FF all around $500 each and that was for midrange, mint was around the $1000+. But the big money is the early Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense, Avengers, Spiderman, FF.

When I was a child then teen reading these it was a real hunt to find them I had to trek to various suburbs to a) get to the newsagent that stocked them, b) be there at the right time of the month when they came in.

I know K has bought a fair bit of merchandise from the USA in the past year. All at knock down prices. The trend for Marvel comics if anything has grown in the past couple of years amongst all types here in Australia and he’s going online later this year after getting a few inquiries from OS.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember in the 80s all the dads who held onto their comics were looking at some real value, because their comics were actually rare; meanwhile, everyone believed the current crop — special collectible issues with multiple covers — would be equally valuable, kids (and parents) stockpiling away without considering the huge number of issues printed. I bought the original Dark Knight Returns issues a few years after they came out for like $12 apiece. They’re worth about as much today. :p

Godot

Reaction score
They haven't risen that much. You can get decent cash for issues that movie plots might be based on, but we are not where even close to bubble territory again.

Go look up the running price for Infinity Gauntlet #1 in above average condition on eBay. They are averaging between $20 and $35. If the first issue for the special event that biggest Marvel film ever is based off of can't easily break $50 you are not in bubble territory.

Granted we're not in Bubble Gun territory again, but there are two things to consider

1.) The customer base that was only into comics is now into all kinds of "collectibles" now. I was killing time before my movie to start Sunday & wandered in to one of the local shops, because they were having a team playoff of people playing some of board game & I'm into game theory, so thought I should take a glimpse. They were selling all kinds of crap. Two grown men came in & wanted to know if they had or could find a life sized talking plush Barney!
2.) They were spending $35 in hard currency for a comic book. This is like spending $500 on a Big Mac. The monetary value on anything is what people will pay but the intrinsic value of almost all comic books is IMO about a quarter or so. Come on it's a comic book.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is what I hated:
1. Thanos's Malthusian plan. This made no sense, if he had god-like powers, rather than kill half the population, he could just make the Universe bigger, or metabolism's more efficient or resources more abundant or whatever. And even if he couldn't do any of that because of plot constraint magic, killing half the people doesn't solve anything, it just buys more time. Frankly, I liked better the comic book version where he wanted to kill half the universe as a love offering to death.
2. I disliked the way none of the stones really had a unique identity that Thanos could use as he gathered them except for the time stone. There was some attempt to mess with the reality stone to do tricks like turn guns to bubbles and make illusions, but it was poorly handled. I would have liked to see Thanos use each gem in a unique was as he got it and watch his powers grow and his threat escalate;
3.Needing to use minions instead of just getting the stones himself. They were not needed. This is only half a complaint as I could see why he might want to take less risk and also move on all the remaining stones at once.
4Iron man's suit (and spidey's) way too much tech that seems sort of limitless in ability. Nanotechnology is not enough of an answer.
That said, none of that kept me from enjoying the movie.
Not to get too meta on you, but it is not unnoticed that silly plot holes and weird behavior bother me not at all in MCU movies but are distracting in SW movies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads