• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ngv6efF.png

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess I can't get the early comic memories out of my mind. Yikes.

Also the fact that Aquaman's always looked like Captain America's dipshit brother, but now he's....Conan by the Sea??!?

His ability to "talk to fish" gets made fun of a lot, but if you actually think about it you realize how powerful that really is. Picture scenes like these recreated on the big screen and you get the idea.

3560998-justice+league+%234+-+page+11.jpg

3561321-aquaman+%2323+-+page+14.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a good write up about all he can do. https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/29b5wf/respect_aquaman/

I do agree with you regarding his overall look in the movie. I wish they had gone with a more classic Aquaman design, instead of basing it on his 90's hook hand and beard look. At the end of the day I guess they went with what they felt would have more mass appeal.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a good write up about all he can do. https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/29b5wf/respect_aquaman/

I do agree with you regarding his overall look in the movie. I wish they had gone with a more classic Aquaman design, instead of basing it on his 90's hook hand and beard look. At the end of the day I guess they went with what they felt would have more mass appeal.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aqua...f-atlantis-new-comic-accurate-costume-a151237

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Hardy!

I love Tom Hardy in just about anything he does, but if they're not going to tie Venom into Spider-man, then what's the point? So many people want to see a film focused on the bitter feud these two have, and it seems like they keep trying to rush things and messing it up. Venom can work as a character on his own, but you need to set him up and give him history first. That history is very much tied to Parker.

Also, it seems worrying to me that it is set to start filming in fall, and set to release in October of 2018. One year isn't a ton of time for post, unless they aren't expecting an fx heavy film. I feel this is going to look rushed, in the end product.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
His ability to "talk to fish" gets made fun of a lot, but if you actually think about it you realize how powerful that really is. Picture scenes like these recreated on the big screen and you get the idea.

My immediate question is: Why would the fish care what he has to say? That's my basic thinking on all animal-linked superheroes, though: I imagine it going down something like this:

"Help me, fish warriors! We must stop Hydra from taking the base!"

Fish: "Dude, **** off..."

I don't mean to **** on Aquaman, though. I haven't checked out the comic since I was a kid. :p

Regarding Venom, I'm also curious to see how it'll work with no Spider-Man; that seems to be the key, no?

I've only read the Ultimate arcs -- so I'm fuzzy on actual canon -- but I really enjoyed how they put his humanity front and center in that one, instead of him just being a cool-looking monster thingie. I hope the film's got a similar feel.

I'm against Tom Hardy, though, as it feels like Brock should be younger, and also (when I inevitably see this with the wife) less hot.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Naaaa. He's a good age to play classic Eddie Brock. It wouldn't really work paired with the new MCU tied Spider-Boy, but Brock was never portrayed as very young in the comics. So I'm cool with this.

295px-EddieBrock.jpg

When I talk about how I sometimes feel the Ultimate line, movies and recent cartoons have poisened the public's view of Spider-Man this is a good example. It seems like the general public think of him as classically portrayed as a high school kid. Couldn't be further from the truth as the vast majority of the comics history has him as an adult. Seems like this misconception could actually hurt projects like this as they may have expectations of younger versions of characters like Brock too. IDK.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, a younger version would help with continuity, but one of the things I love about comics is that they really seem Biblical or mythical the way their heroes are portrayed: each writer and artist giving a slightly different slant to the character, as if they were being handed down through oral tradition or something. That would seem to give a lot of leeway for the films, but then, everyone seems to want an origin, and then if that does well, a sequel...so it seems with the ones who started out young, we're always going to be mired in the early stages.

I'm not up to date with public perception, I guess, but it seems most people I know regard Parker as either a teen or young adult sidelining as a Bugle photographer. Sadly, the adult portion of his career didn't seem to change dramatically for decades, the writers always keeping him as a down on his luck twenty-something, despite being a brilliant mind married to an burgeoning actress. I was -- as I've said a zillion times recently, I know -- just really pissed they went so far as to have him break character and make a deal with the devil to try and maintain that (the bumbling, down on his luck part).

I thought the Ultimate series was undoubtedly the best portrayal I've read (though I did find his married life more interesting -- shame that wasn't handled by a better writer) -- so it's hard for me to mind the movies too much.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there really that much direction left needed on JL? No photography left, can't imagine much more post-production is needed...

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there are some additional scenes (which Snyder asked Whedon to write) they wanted to add and reshoots, probably still plenty of post editing too

Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy

The filmmaker's daughter died by suicide in March, prompting him to take a break from work and Joss Whedon to finish the Warner Bros. superhero pic: "I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me."
Superheroes have always been about doing the right thing in the hardest of circumstances. Now Zack Snyder, one of the biggest filmmakers in the genre and the director of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and the upcoming Justice League, finds himself in just such a situation.

Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in postproduction, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Snyder’s daughter, Autumn Snyder, died by suicide in March at age 20. Her death has been kept private, with only a small inner circle aware of what happened, even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate effects of the tragedy. Zack Snyder says he initially was eager to return to the film, which stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was way through it,” says an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot, with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all-consuming. And in the last two months, I’ve come to the realization … I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”

The studio is fully behind the move. “What they are going through is unimaginable, and my heart — our hearts — go out to them," says Warner Bros. Pictures president Toby Emmerich.

One of the first things the studio floated was the possibility of pushing back the release date of the movie, but the Snyders decided against that suggestion. Warners also extended Snyder's first-look deal to give him time to work on other planned projects when he returns to work.

Snyder, after screening a rough cut of Justice League for fellow filmmakers and friends, wanted to add additional scenes, so he brought Whedon on board to write them. But as he prepared to shoot the scenes in England, Snyder realized it was not the time to leave home. “The directing is minimal and it has to adhere to the style and tone and the template that Zack set,” says Emmerich. “We’re not introducing any new characters. It’s the same characters in some new scenes. He’s handing a baton to Joss, but the course has really been set by Zack. I still believe that despite this tragedy, we’ll still end up with a great movie.”

This isn’t the first time that Warner Bros. has had to deal with the unthinkable affecting a high-profile DC movie. In 2008, Heath Ledger passed away after shooting had wrapped for The Dark Knight but prior to the movie being finished and released. The tragedy put the studio and filmmaker Christopher Nolan in a very delicate position of balancing mourning with the demands of releasing a tentpole.

The internet and comic book movie fans being what they are, Snyder already is anticipating what what some DC loyalists may think.

“Here’s the thing, I never planned to make this public,” he says. “I thought it would just be in the family, a private matter, our private sorrow that we would deal with. When it became obvious that I need to take break, I knew there would be narratives created on the internet. They’ll do what they do. The truth is … I’m past caring about that kind of thing now.”

The death of Autumn, Zack's daughter from his first marriage (in addition to Autumn, he and Deborah have been raising seven kids and step-kids), has brought a new perspective and a new focus for him. “I want the movie to be amazing and I’m a fan, but that all pales pretty quickly in comparison," he says. “I know the fans are going to be worried about the movie, but there are seven other kids that need me. In the end, it’s just a movie. It’s a great movie. But it’s just a movie."

Autumn, who was attending Sarah Lawrence College, loved “to write, to write, to write,” says Deborah. Their daughter had written a sci-fi fantasy novel in the first person. It featured a character who was an outsider and who had trouble fitting in.

Deborah is holding onto the thought that she was the first person her daughter gave the book to read, even now as the story takes on a new meaning under the circumstances. “You’re hearing her voice,” Deborah says, fighting back tears.

The Snyders would like to someday see that manuscript published, with the proceeds going to a charity. “In the end, she didn’t make it, but her character does, and I think there would be something cathartic for people,” says Zack.

The thought of his daughter’s writing prompts Zack to recall another memory. Autumn had a quote that she included in everything she wrote. (“Every. Single. Thing,” chuckles Zack.) It’s from author Chris Palahniuk: “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.”

“Maybe this helps,” Zack says.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In other news, Roger Moore has passed away at the age of 89.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads