1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Certain characters lend themselves to violence, sex, gratuitous language, etc. For years the studios fought with filmmakers to keep shoveling us PG-13 versions of these types of characters claiming it was the only way they could make a large profit. Deadpool proved them wrong, so we are going to start seeing more comic property related films break the old mold. I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't start to get overdone or is applied to the wrong character's stories. So far I see little reason to be concerned.

1 person likes this.
  2. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Agree. Characters like Superman and Captain America don't work well with sex and f-bombs so I'd expect those to stay PG-13. Batman, Punisher, Deadpool, Wolverine could get away with it much easier.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jr Mouse

Capturing the right tone with these characters is very important. It's one of the key reason's the recent FF reboot failed. The tone was ridiculously off.

People keep wondering if the X-Men will ever get to play in MCU's sandbox and I honestly don't really care that much. They are fine doing their own thing. It's the FF that's the real travesty here. The team would blend in perfectly with what Marvel is doing if they were allowed to.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Shazam becomes a 2-part film, Black Adam gets his own solo outing.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Agreed. As much as I'd like to see Wolverine on an Avengers team, there is just a major disconnect between the two franchise's world views. On the one hand, you have the whole the world is fearful of homosexuals mutants angle; on the other, it's all, Yay Captain America, mutants will save us all!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. Jr Mouse

May 6th is Free Comic Book Day and this title caught my eye.

[​IMG]

Databorg? In. :slayer:

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Looks like everyone has finally been taking advantage of their Federation gym membership, too...

2 people like this.
  9. Jr Mouse

Sleeveless, bearded, ripped Picard will **** you up.

Did TNG ever do a Mirror Universe episode? I don't believe so. Seems like that was a huge missed opportunity for the series.

EDIT: Where has @Harold falcon been? This shit is right up his ally.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Sorry, more comic book talk, but:

Thanks, JM, for sending me back to Ultimate Spider-Man. I don't know what I saw before, but it wasn't that (one of the dangers of trying to read things online, I guess...)

I'm loving it so far, though if I could change one thing, I would prefer the high school sophomores *not* to look like 45-year olds most of the time. Otherwise, pretty solid.

One funny thing I noticed is that the Meisner technique -- this theater exercise where people bounce around a single word or phrase -- is in full-force here. I know it became one of Bendis's trademarks, having copped his moves from playwrights, but it finally struck me as kind of odd because it's meant to be heard, not read (the whole point being the changing meaning based on tone, volume, pronunciation, body language, etc.). Like:

"I got a surprise for you"
    "A surprise?"
    "Yeah, a surprise"
    "What is this...surprise?"
    "I can't tell you"
    "Why not?"
    "It's a surprise".

:p

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  11. Jr Mouse

Why sorry? I know that this thread is mainly centered around film and tv, but it's open to related discussions from other media.

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I figured there was a dedicated comic thread around here, I just haven't found it....

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This weekend, I re-watched Prometheus. It is actually a great movie the second time around as I was no longer bothered much by the stupid plot holes and instead was able to enjoy the sense of wonder and mystery at the possible origins of humanity, including the religious undertones, that the movie was going for. I wish the next installment was focused a bit more on that instead of turning towards a return to the SF horror genre that was original Alien's true genre.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  16. Jr Mouse

[​IMG]

:slayer:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  17. dopey

I am going to quote myself in case anyone else has some thoughts on Prometheus and where the franchise is going with Covenant. It was probably discussed before, but if it was, I have forgotten.
    I was surprised by how much I like Prometheus on a second viewing.

18. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I was not too impressed by Prometheus, and if there has to be another Alien film, I'm glad if they're returning to the action or suspense of the second. Otherwise, it will probably be another waste of talent. (Seriously, could we get like Daniel Craig and Fassbender back into some acting roles again?).

At this point, though, I'm not sure what a good Alien movie would do that's not been done to death.

19. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I liked the concept of Prometheus but just couldn't get over how dumb the characters were. A bunch of super smart scientists act like a bunch of high school idiots on a distant planet.

20. dopey

This bothered me the first time. But not the second. Not sure why, but I think when the story was unfolding for the first time, characters acting stupidly was a distraction that took me out of the story. On the second viewing, I din't care.