• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not being a dick but have you actually watched the show? Season 1 and well into the second season, the showrunners firmly established the universe as being Nolanized/comic book realistic/gritty etc. They made plenty of interviews and press junkets reassuring people that it was going to be set in a grounded environment. And imo, that set the tone for a pretty decent show despite the main character being Batman-lite (actually more akin to Daredevil really since killing isn't necessarily taboo for him). Them incorporating Flash seems like a cheap ploy to me and many people seem to agree.

And I'm all for fantastical elements (like you said, they are comic book characters after all) but the way they are approaching this comes off clunky and honestly, messes with the pre-established norms of the main show

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A. No I have not watched it yet, but am planning to get caught up soon.

B. Flash is getting his own show.

My point is not all comic to tv/film properties in the DC universe need to strive for this "realism". I would be glad if Flash didn't and embraced the more fantastical elements the medium lends itself to.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your second point is moot considering they will be set in the same universe. And I think it's pretty clear "realism" went out the window the moment they showed a guy get struck by lightning and instead of dying, gains superspeed. So, I'm positive that your wish for fantastical will come true!

And the ironic thing about DC making their properties gritty realistic is that Marvel did it first with Blade :laugh:

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks mad corny. I would've preferred ARROW stay grounded in reality because it's actually a decent show (better than SHIELD imo)

Arrow is a better show by far. Fully thought out main characters, coherent stories, solid pacing, believable stakes with real consequences for decisions; it's everything A of S isn't.

And the superpowers of the Flash might still work in the same universe, especially now that the Slade story arc has brought in characters with super strength and damn near invincibility. Super speed isn't too much of a stretch, and they've taken care to set it up reasonably well.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It definitely is a fun show and I didn't want to get into specifics for those who haven't been watching. With the introduction of Flash though, I just don't want this universe to devolve into Smallville 2.0

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When does Arrow come on? I've been meaning to record it but I'm just too lazy to actually search for it to setup the DVR.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It definitely is a fun show and I didn't want to get into specifics for those who haven't been watching. With the introduction of Flash though, I just don't want this universe to devolve into Smallville 2.0

Fair points. I read somewhere that the show creator for Arrow had it mapped out to be five seasons. I hope that's true. Shows rarely maintain quality longer than that, which was, in my opinion, one of the issues with Smallville. Stories really started to get crazy, and it seemed like they wanted to keep things going by adding in more and more characters.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks surprisingly good.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flash combining w/ Arrow like that pleases me. Doing what Smallville should've started 10 years ago.

Really hoping for Snyderverse integration at this point.

Show does look more promising than I'd originally anticipated.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Props to SMALLVILLE though for including literally every ******* thing DC had to offer save for Batman :lol:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Props to SMALLVILLE though for including literally every ******* thing DC had to offer save for Batman :lol:

Don't get me wrong - I loved that show.

Never understood why they couldn't pull off some sort of Bruce Wayne appearance - flitting around w/ Lex, at some club in Metropo-couver, etc.

Or why Green Arrow couldn't have been batman either... still bitter.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IIRC the showrunners were not allowed to reference Batman/Bruce Wayne in any way, shape, or form (he was planned to be a rival for Lana's affections). They weren't even allowed to show Clark in the full costume. Lotta restrictions but that didn't stop them from incorporating other characters like Hawkman, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads