1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Halloween is considered one of the most influential horror films of all time. You can hardly call it niche.

How about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? Was Willy Wonka not a beloved film from our childhood? Karate Kid?

Yes, Ghostbusters 2016 looked like a bland money grab from day one. So do a ton of recent remakes. Yet Ghostbusters got vilified like so other. If you think Ghostbusters would have earned the same level of scorn if they had cast Andy Samburg and Keenen Thompson in it, then I have a bridge to sell you. Most people would have heard the news, frowned and went on with their lives knowing that the fact that the remake was being made doesn't take the original out of their DVD/Blu-Ray collections.

2. horndog

horndog Senior member

I think everyone will agree with you that the hate would be on a normal level in line with the other remakes had they only stuck to a shitty cash grab, a single variable. It's the gender swap second variable that has doubled the hate.

3. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

JRM appears to be defending a bad movie for how bad it is - only because it may not be as bad as originally thought. *mindblown

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Um, Zach and Billy's races do not align with the original series. Things cannot be good. :hide::tinfoil:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  6. Jr Mouse

It's like you didn't even read my posts. Well done. :D

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Agreed -- I think in general, this is true. I just haven't experienced this among friends or the people I interact with online.

The trailer -- which to me, looked entirely unfunny, and a waste of proven talent -- does make it ripe for backlash. It's just unfortunate that people have chosen to focus what I would consider superficial elements.

Given the cast and creative team behind it, I would have preferred to have seen something more in line with what they do best -- maybe a longer, raunchier, free-form-ish, improv-y version, something more akin to Bridesmaids or Knocked Up than the original Ghostbusters. It'd be different, but at least enjoyable.

I did like the new Robocop okay, even if seemed to miss the point of the original, as they chose not to retread or half-ass the satire, but deliver a more earnest and streamlined adolescent power fantasy that felt comfortably distanced enough from the original to be entertaining.

1 person likes this.
  8. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

Willie Wonka wasn't great but it sold itself much better. Previews made it look really fucking weird and it had the "truer to the book" angle people fell for, not to mention Tim Burton,

Remaking Ghostbusters is just pointless in every capacity and it has looked fucking terrible from the get-go...the promo shots, the trailers....everything about it pointed to crap. People want to tie gender to it as a scapegoat but IMO anyone put into those would have looked just as bad.

9. Jr Mouse

Concept art for GoTG Vol. 2.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

13. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

What is that? Boobie Patrol?

14. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

We saw Ghostbusters last night. It was better than expected and actually pretty entertaining and funny.

15. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  16. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

Really looking forward to that one.

17. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Illegally watched Ghostbusters: The Quickening last night. Complete unfunny dogshit.

19. wojt

wojt Senior member

and what did you expect ?

20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

According to Jr. I only pre-hated it because it was starring women, not because it was an obvious cash grab put together by committee and burgeoned by a studio-sponsored political message to try to make up for what a giant piece of shit it is. I had to prove him wrong.

The Sony emails leaked by North Korea show they knew this was a giant steaming turd the whole time and had to threaten to sue Bill Murray to get him in the movie at all. What fucking garbage.

1 person likes this.