• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, RDJ is only contracted til A3, no IM4 in sight anytime soon and likely not have RDJ in it. I think he just got too expensive for them though I do not see the problem since IM3 made $1.2b. Problem probably lies with the other actors demanding more money too if RDJ continues to get paid these crazy amounts and Avengers budget will be insane.

So their plan is to replace Stark with Dr. Strange as the central character in the movie-verse.

They have stated that they plan to make IM films like Bond where no reboots are needed when a new actor replaces RDJ.

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

Shame as I think RDJ nails the part, though.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's not like DC/WB didn't try to make WW, they had several pilots that failed. I think it is more difficult to write/make a good female led super hero film, definitely not as easy as most think. It is only most recently that Hunger Games and Divergent have become popular and really Hunger Games was the only one that is a smashing success. Not saying WW doesn't have great comic book arcs (though I must admit I can't think of one I care for off the top of my head) but I don't think people are onto WW as they are with Hunger Games or Twilight these days that it'll be a smashing success.

Male or female, what makes or breaks these characters is the script and writers. It's no different then the comics themselves. You can make any character interesting with a good story written about them. I also don't buy that having a female lead is in itself somehow a major determent to getting this film made. The failure has been on WB's part for not putting the right team on the project.

I'm also fine with not having a WW film right now, DC/WB isn't cranking out films like Marvel is, they are barely getting the ball rolling on making more films and they still only have one every year/other year? I'd really prefer to see it after the JL film. Plus WB just can't afford to have a flop right now, they are kind of in a delicate state that a successful moneymaking film is more crucial to keep the rest moving forward. Marvel could afford to break even in some films right now but even they are only saying a "Black Widow" film is a possibility but there really isn't any room for her. For Phase 3, they have 4 films to make before A3, Antman is the first one and Cap3 and Thor3 have been announced (Cap 3 has a date already) so that leaves one film which I think they will utilize for someone that needs more introduction like BP or the likely scenario, Dr. Strange (who they admitted will replace IM/RDJ in being the center of the MarvelU). BW will likely happen on Phase 4 so you can't just be mad at DC for no WW when Marvel has more space and room but aren't cranking out a BW or Ms Marvel film yet.

It really boils down to Marvel/Disney being willing to take risks, while the WB does not. I know it was a silly meme, but that image I posted a while back had a lot of truth to it. Marvel is willing to put out a film that cost millions that features a talking raccoon and humanoid tree creature in space, while DC can't muster the faith to produce films based on a core property of a strong female warrior who's image is known globally. The WB needs to step things up or they will continue to get left behind.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I isn't fair but we still live in a sexist world. Look at these female comedies, some ignorant fools were saying women can't be funny when Pitch Perfect came out. Then look at the Bridemaids comments, most were talking "see, women can be funny and make money". Women power in films are big right now and if you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. You need to read up more on the current state of films when it comes to female leads. The success of Twilight and HG are mainly from it's book support, make those films as an original without the readers support and it'll likely be a joke, especially Twilight.

Not saying there aren't exceptions, Jlaw, Bullock and Jolie are good examples but outside of those 3, I am not sure many can carry a solo blockbuster film today, especially for an action film. You can't have Gadot (who is already being criticized and lambasted for being casted) doing a solo WW film (that cost $150m-$200m?) and then expect it to make $500m. I just don't see it and I'd like to see an example of such to be a plausible success while keeping in mind that these films budgets tends to be bigger than other typical films. It's just difficult to do and that is why Fox, Sony and even the mighty Marvel Studios hasn't done it yet. Is it possible? Yes! Is it difficult? Very! Do I want to see it? Hell Yes!

Again, you are also looking at DC/WB like they are producing films like Marvel. DC has been very selective in their films and with GL failing, WW was simply too risky. DC/WB have had a lot of fails. A Batman/Superman film failed in 2002, JL film was about to shoot in 2005 and the writers strike hit and practically messed it all up. WW pilots failed. Hell even Superman Returns budget were so big due to the 90s failures like Cage being Superman and all, those budgets were added up to Singers film. If DC/WB has a hard time pulling those off, then WW is a bigger risk.

As for the "right" team, definitely easier said than done. Look at Fox, people always say F4 and XMen are so easy to make but obviously it isn't. Wolverine seems so simple to make but obviously it isn't. People say Batman is so easy to make but look at the Schumachers disasters. Even Marvel has Incredible Hulk, IM2 and IM3s that just isn't to par with the rest of their films, 2 are actually downright terrible.

As for a cgi racoon, again Marvel could do no wrong right now but they still had to put him with an ensemble team. Plus Marvel has Feige who sees over everything, he has one vision from one man. DC/WB doesn't have that, even the failed JL film has nothing to do with the Batman Begins world with a completely different Batman. That was how they operated and it's worked for them to some extent in the 80s and 90s, this was before Marvel changed the landscape. Plus Rocket Racoon is in an ensemble film, comeback to me when they make a solo Racoon film or when Marvel with all their dates and budget and established hero in BW (that plenty likes) finally has a solo film, until then don't just blame or single out DC/WB when they are and always have been on thin ice outside of Batman films.

Did I also mention that the old CEO had a lets take it one film at a time approach? Dude left and all of a sudden there are all these DC tv shows, announcement of 9 DC films including big and smaller ones, etc... from the new CEO. So signs are good so just sit back and relax. You were mad because they are looking for the write script? Again they obviously have a hard time finding a good script and writing team and putting out the best product so you are rushing them to make one now? What if it turns out to be like GL again, then you'll just curse and **** all over DC/WB for rushing out a female led movie before Marvel.

It's like this thing I read on another forum where DC hatred is just so deliberate. When they scheduled MoS2 to go against Cap3, people were saying "DC should move away, they don't want none of Marvel", "DC will ***** out and move cuz they're scared", "DC are the bitches and they'll move", etc.... Then reports come out that Disney was thinking of moving the date and all of a sudden the same people were "Marvel is the bigger man for moving", "DC can have that crappy date, Cap3 didn't want it anyways", "Marvel don't need to play the dick measuring contest, they better off moving", etc... DC just can't win. :lol:

Now before you extend further to that, I do think it is stupid to compete with each other on the same date, no one wins in that scenario but the insanity of some people or some other level sometimes.

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think IM or Cap can be classified as C-grade heroes...

Not anymore but they are certainly not on the same level as Supes, Bats, Hulk, Spidey, Wolverine, etc... Hell Aquaman, GL, Deadpool, Gambit, etc... are all bigger names and more popular than IM, Cap and Thor before their respective films came out.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not anymore but they are certainly not on the same level as Supes, Bats, Hulk, Spidey, Wolverine, etc... Hell Aquaman, GL, Deadpool, Gambit, etc... are all bigger names and more popular than IM, Cap and Thor before their respective films came out.

I would've put Cap and IM above Hulk in marveldom even before the movies. Spiderman, Wolverine, Captain America seem the marvel backbone to my admittedly dated take on the comics.

Fantastic Four and most of the avengers would be B-listers, along w/ the majority of the Xmen.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RFX, I believe you are forgetting one of the most obvious reasons DC is hesitant on pulling the trigger on WW:

ENe0K9e.jpg

:lol:

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you underestimate Xmens popularity, many grew up in that 90s cartoon and Jim Lees XMen was very well loved, they continue to be one of the favorite comic groups out there, they were even bigger than Avengers there before the film came out.

Cap was popular in the 70s and to some extent 80s-90s but he kind of suffers the same conflict as Superman except he kills. People know him but not many are excited to see his adventures outside of teaming up with others, he is like big blue boy scout of Marvel. Supermans popularity in comparison is him being Superman, first comic book hero and all and it just comes with being Superman. Kind of hard to explain. lol Superman is just that one hero known around the world ever since his inception.

IM is different situation but he was definitely not up there above the Hulk, there is a reason a Hulk film was made/attempted first. Everyone likes him. Read the comicbook forums and everyone wants more Hulk films and Avengers sending him to space and making Planet Hulk and then lead to World War Hulk, etc.... Many wants to see these arcs with him back then and today while IMs recent best story is the extremis and his arch nemesis in Mandarin and they failed to do both in IM3.

And these are from internet nerds, imagine the general public knowledge to be much less for all these heroes.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fixed :teach:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also back to female lead films, i also dint think many men still know how to write for women. In the comics it works but I remember watching this comic book documentary and they were saying that was the main problem with WW, most men still were sexist when they wrote for her and i think it took a while, maybe a decade(?) before they started writing her a strong role model for women. I think it might been a woman writer who started it all too, gon have to rewatch it.

I know they have decades of material to take from but again there is a reason they just do not directly adapt these films straight off of the books and most still struggle to write for a woman. Look at Twilight and HG, both written by a woman.

If they are going to approach a BW or WW solo films, they really need to find the best women writer they can find.

Again just my $0.02

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, it's not as if the companies didn't "try" (I use the term loosely). DC/WB came out with "Catwoman" in 2004 and Marvel/Fox came out with "Elektra" the following year. Studio heads are probably thinking "Eh, one female lead comic book movie is enough for the next 20 years. Now, let's go make a Jonah Hex film." :brick:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats a good point. And up until now i didnt even think there was a worse female led film outside of Catwoman so thanks for reminding me of the atrocity that is Elektra. Even worse was they thought it was a good idea after Daredevil. Now ill have nightmares tonight.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone could have pulled it off back then; it would have been Whedon, he's great at female lead stories. All you have to do is look at Buffy, Dollhouse, Firefly/Serenity, etc. They could even take cues from the animated movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads