Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Don't get me wrong. I'm OK with a young Parker. It's just that I don't see why he has to start out as high-school age. They could introduce him a year or two after gaining his powers and enterning college in NYC. He'd still be green and learning but a 18/19 year old Parker fits much better into the MCU Avengers then does a 15 year old. The types of coming of age stories told in college years are just as, if not more interesting to general audiences then high-school.

You grow him into an adult on screen from that point on instead of retreading the same stories we have recently seen.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I guess they could explain it away by saying he was more focused on stopping small-scale crimes like convenience store robberies and the like..

But you know much studios love origin stories. So, we should expect "Uncle Ben getting shot" scene somewhere down the line. Like Bruce's parents, they have a hard-on for depicting their deaths even though everyone knows the story by now

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

How many times do we have to see the same stupid origin story over and over again for the same characters? Who has the record? Superman has 4. Batman has at least 3. Hulk's got 3 or 4. And it's all the same tripe. Nothing was added by the origin story in Super Spiderman (or whatever the fuck it was called) over Tobey Maguire Spiderman. We all know, he got bit by a radioactive spider. Gained powers. Done. Stop this shit. Add something new.

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

Garfield was a good Spidey, he wasn't what was wrong with those terrible movies.

5. Jr Mouse

Oh God, I hope they at least avoid the origin story. It's not needed and is almost as bad as the rumor there will be a flash-back origin shown for Batman in BvS.

Completely agree with Nil. Garfield was great in the role. The problems with those films had nothing to do with him.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I'm not saying this will happen, but by choosing a young unknown, we could at least hope for an actor, like Chloe Moretz, who is chosen for their talent, who brings no prior baggage or associations to the role, who might go on to do great things, as well as a character who will finally match his purported film age (not some 90210 version of Spider-Man). I think we've had so many Spidey movies, it's not automatically a bad thing. It's actually in the spirit of the comic universe. It will just come down to how they handle it.

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thanks, I just saw this.

I've read most of the All-New X-Men, and aside from Whedon, it's been my favorite work on the series. I'll have to re-read it as a whole, paying special attention to your team comments, which I find very interesting. Bendis was recommended to me as someone who learned, explicitly, from people like David Mamet, and so on, and so I think I was mostly paying attention to his more technical elements, the way he synthesizes his favorite writers, which I find outstanding.

I'm not sure how much person to person variation I require. I do tend to notice it when falls flat (like in The Walking Dead, though that's improving over time). With the X-Men, it seems like the attempts can sometimes just boil down to outmoded or quasi-racist embellishments, that or an over-reliance on the character's tag lines and what-not (My stars and garters!).

Will definitely check this out. (I've got something called The Complete Age of Apocalypse Epic, which sounds like it should do).

Agreed on the Abnett/Lanning Guardians/Nova, etc. and it's a shame those guys
    died
    because the current incarnation appears stricken by the Abercrombie complex and so muddled with crossovers, it's annoying. I didn't know Rocket became the next Wolverine. Maybe it will stoke interest for the next film, so...yay?

8. Jr Mouse

Bleeding Cool pointed out today's Fox Trot which I agree is fairly on point on how the mass media success of a lot of these comic properties are likely not bringing in as many new readers as hoped.

[​IMG]

I haven't read Fox Trot in years, but it used to be one of my favorites. :happy:

9. Jr Mouse

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Oh, dude. Yes! Someone gave me that a long time ago, but it was lost or stolen, and I've been trying to remember the name ever since. I never got to read it. But it's kind of like one of those old franchises that was deepened, Alan Moore-style, sometime in the 80s or 90s? Looks great. :slayer:

11. Jr Mouse

I mentioned wanting to re-read it to a good friend and he pointed out some of the Omnibuses are out of print. So they might be hard to track down. The regular trades are still available, but I believe they miss an odd side issue or two. Not a huge deal, but worth keeping in mind.

Comixology has them for $2 an issue and has yet to put any of it on sale. So if you go digital on the run, I wouldn't hold up waiting for them to run special pricing like they sometimes do on other comics.

EDIT: Let me know how you like it! :slayer:

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Simpsons did it!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Strangely watchable.

Every Star Wars movie superimposed on each other.

[​IMG]

lefty

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Creatively from a music composition standpoint - I'd like to know why Williams doesn't just use the same tempo for his opening theme regardless of movie.

And then tangentially, which movies have the theme slower / faster than the others.

15. Jr Mouse

It's going to be strange to see Episode 7 open without the FOX fanfair leading into the theme.