Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah I don't get why Fox can't just stick to comic books on that one, story-wise it would have been fine if they didn't call him Silver Samurai, should have just had the dad suit up in a silver gear and let him be SS. It's like they just can't help themselves, they didn't learn from the Baraklopspool fiasco in origins?

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    X3 made a fair amount in the box office but was a critical failure and is largely remembered as being garbage in (most) fan's eyes. It took five years and a prequel story with new cast to get the franchise back into theaters.

The Wolverine movies due ok mainly due to him being the most popular character on the team. That's great and all, but in Fox's eyes the real money and long term marketing longevity is building this all into a working cinematic universe. That's why there was talk of a FF and Xmen crossover film and why they want to get the New Mutants on screen. My point continues to be that I'm not confident Fox has the vision to put this off in the long term.

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Just remembered Jackman is pretty much done with the role too. I will miss him.

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

The New Mutants, as an X-men spin-off, would seem to make more sense than the Fantastic Four, a combination that barely works in the comics. (i.e. even forgetting why the world needs multiple teams, or where they all disappear to when a threat pops up, they seem to inhabit different earths -- one where humans are afraid of superpower (The X-Men, Spider-Man), and one where they champion it (FF, everything else).

Plus, keeping the crossovers mutants-only could open the door to a lot of smaller, moodier stories, like the detective agency stuff from X-Factor.

Last edited: May 26, 2015

5. Jr Mouse

I agree that a FF and Xmen team up wouldn't be the best pairing, but Fox is working with what they got.

I'd love to see Marvel get the FF rights back and see if they can work Spider-Man into it. That could be very fun as the characters have always mixed well. Bring in She-Hulk too while you are at it.

6. Jr Mouse

He's great in the role but it's time. They have new people playing everyone else at this point. Logan will come soon enough if they want to keep things going.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

It only took five years because Singer flipped flopped, he left X3 to do Superman Returns then Valkyrie and the initial plan was Magneto and Prof X and Young XMen origins film (so that was always the plan after X3) and they all combined it into one instead and Vaughn had to do it. Vaughn was suppose to do DoFP too but then he wanted to tackle Kingsman as soon as possible so it fell on Singer again but he delivered a much better film while retconing X1-X3.

X3 might be a critical failure but it doesn't change the fact that it was the highest grossing X-Film even after 1st Class and Wolverine came out, it had no bearing on it at all just like these Transformer films that makes a billion on the box office so we will keep seeing it made over and over again.

There are crossover talks but it is continuously denied and denied by both Singer and Kinberg, I am sure there has been talks within but so far it isn't confirmed.

People who are confident in Fox doing any comic films are far and few in between but right now, DoFP was a very good film and practically all of Singer directed X-films have been good.

I wouldn't say that in Fox's eyes it it the cinematic universe is where the money is, I think they see the whole franchise as being where the money is. This F4 film, despite me seeing some thing I like, was made only so that the rights do not revert back to Marvel. There are still no sign that F4 and XMen will crossover right now. Apocalypse will supposedly change everything (again) and that might open up the world for the F4 to exist but right now they aren't even in the same decade and no hints have been dropped.

But by those news, it is obvious that they have no problem rebooting things just to keep the rights because it is making them money so far. Until something completely flops like GL or John Carter, Fox is happy with what they are doing with these films. And don't forget about Gambit with the panty dropper Tatum in it.

With that said, I do like that Kinberg is handling things similar to how Feige is with Marvel (I think DC needs one that isn't Snyder or Goyer) and so far so good I think. We'll see if F4 is a disappointment or a surprise.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Jesus Christ, the Wolverine movies were fucking terrible.

9. gort

gort Senior member

Talk about the perfect guy for the role in every way, though. I remember being 16 or 17 years old and seeing the first x-men movie and thinking "who the hell is this guy and how did they find him??"

10. Neo_Version 7

The fact that he's played the role 7-8 times throughout a SIXTEEN year period and approaches it with the same enthusiasm, intensity is nothing short of legendary.

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

He's also gotten more and more ripped for each movie as he's gotten older.

12. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I hope Fox pulls this one off correctly:

13. gort

gort Senior member

Surprised nobody's posted batman on joker's purple car yet.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Looks like Marvel is at it again:

15. Neo_Version 7

All these flavors and Marvel chooses to be salty