Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc... FILM THREAD

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by RFX45, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Eh, I'm more then willing to give a project a chance. Up until the most recent trailers I kept hope that the new Terminator film might pull it off. So it's not about writing something off. I simply don't see anything in what they have shown so far.

I disagree that F4 is by its nature "campy" in the comics. Sure it usually has a lighter tone then other comics, but so does Spider-Man. I wouldn't want a serious and dark movie about him either.

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Genysis is gonna suck. Aging Arnold + Jai Courtney + Mother of Drag-ons + CGI overload = ?????????

Either way, both franchises will just get rebooted hundreds of times until something sticks

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yeah but for the most part Spiderman hasn't been that bad. Only SM3 is terrible but even the first two F4 films are below those. ASM1 & ASM2 weren't the greatest but I never really have a big complain about it, they were good. SM1 and SM2 were both great so there is no need to change the formula.

This new F4 does look darker but the recent trailers also had more jokes and humor that wasn't shown in the first few trailers, you see Johnny be a jokester (somewhat) and see Reed be like Miles Teller in his films, which is not very serious. So you just know the film isn't as dark as most expect it to be based on the first few trailers. We see the interactions and it does look more lighthearted than just it being a dark or gritty.

You can also look at Cronicle where most people might think it is dark but it has some humor in it, MBJ cracking jokes and playing tricks, the talent show scene, etc... So Trank can pull off being dark and also have humor.

It is as simple as this, F4 1 and F4 2 were bad, really bad and corny and cheesy. To me, base on the trailers, it already looks tons better. Of course movie could be worse than Green Lantern in the end but what I am seeing, I will gladly go see in the theaters.

As for Genysis, it's a dumb, summer, robot blockbuster movie and that is the extent of my expectations. Terminator is somewhat doomed, nothing is beating T2 and they have proven they can't even come close. F4 hasn't been done right, at all.

4. Jr Mouse

I stand by my belief that the basic concept of Genysis is great. If any franchise has the possibility of making a logical narrative out of rebooting a timeline, it's Terminator. Too bad nothing really looks like it's coming together.

5. Jr Mouse

Have they even shown Matt Smith in a trailer yet? His role was big enough to grace the EW article but I don't think they have shown him in footage.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Terrible to spoil the big reveal in the trailers though, they better have a much, much bigger twist in the end for showing what they did.

7. Jr Mouse

I take it you haven't heard the big spoiler/rumor floating around then?

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nope, I try my best not to spoil upcoming films so all spoilers are really just from trailers.

9. Neo_Version 7

I remember they kinda made the same mistake last time around when they spoiled the reveal that Sam Worthington was a cyborg in "Salvation". These producers have no faith in their movie that they basically tell the entire story in 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

10. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

In what Universe was SM3 worse than ASM2?? I didnĀ“t care for goth Peter and I hate what they did with Venom but ASM2 was a huge borefest. The fights were so dumb and short, Electro is easily the worst portrayed comic book villain on screen and Jamie Foxx sucked playing him. It lasted over 2 hours and nothing really happened, except at the end.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Venom is definitely the worst translated villain in comic book movie history. I mean that is a character where they can make a whole movie franchise out of but they blew it. No one really cared for Electro while Venom is a fan favorite.

Action is better is ASM2 bar none, funny because SM2 has the best action in the whole franchise but SM3 took a step down. Worst coems to worst it's a wash when it comes to action but ASM2 is a bit better just because you have the sarcastic Spidey. No emo Peter, no whiny snaggle tooth. Gwen and Peter chemistry is amazing in ASM2, the death scene alone is enough for me to put ASM2 over SM3. Dehaans limited screen time was better than Venom and Sandman combined, snow boarder Goblin isn't that much better than those two. No pervy butler.

I like Tobey as a better overall Spidey/Peter Parker even with the ridiculous facial expressions and all but that character took a huge plunge in SM3 that I actually prefer Garfields ASM2 Spidey/Peter over Tobeys SM3 Spidey/Peter.

They also spoiled T2 by revealing Arnold to be a good guy but I guess that isn't that big of a twist but I think that would have been a good surprise to keep from the audience and just have their mind blown right from the start.

12. Neo_Version 7

T1 and T2....the untouchables!!

JURASSIC WORLD is looking more and more like it's going to disappoint which sucks because Chris Pratt is awesome and who doesn't like dinos?? Oh well...at least we have the first JP

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Yah AoU, Ex Machina and Mad Max got the blockbusters off to a good start but I am afraid it is all downhill from here on out. Was expecting big things with Tomorrowland but it's surprisingly 49% at RT right now. I do not base what I like solely on those reviews but it's still alarming that it is that bad to so many people.

AntMan and MI:Rogue Nations probably the only two summer films I don't see disappointing me at this point. After that it is a long wait til Spectre and SW.

14. Neo_Version 7

I think "Antman" "MI" will do well critically and box office as they have good track records in recent years. Will wait to hear reviews of F4 though. I will watch "Jurassic World" out of obligation to my 5 year old self but not expecting a good movie. Might just re-watch MAD MAX again. :foo:

15. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Enjoyed Ex Machina more than I thought I would, though not that surprising since Garland has written some of my favorite films.

Last edited: May 24, 2015