• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“That’s why the Philosophers warm us to not be satisfied with mere learning, but to add practice and then training. For as time passes we forget what we have learned and end up doing the opposite and hold opinions the opposite of what we should.”

Epictetus, Discourses.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“What’s the point of having countless books and libraries whose titles could hardly be read through in a lifetime? The learner is not taught, but burdened by the sheer volume, and it’s better to plant the seeds of a few authors than to be scattered about by many.”

Seneca, On Tranquility of Mind.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"But what is philosophy? Doesn't it simply mean preparing ourselves for what is to come? Don't you understand that really amounts to saying I would do prepare to endure, then let anything happen that will? Otherwise, it would be like the boxer exiting the ring because he took some punches."

Epictetus, Discourses

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“You get what you deserve. Instead of being a good person today you choose to become one tomorrow.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“I don’t complain about the lack of time. What little I have will go far enough today. Today - this day - will achieve what no tomorrow will fail to speak about. I will lay siege to the gods and shake up the world.”

Seneca, Medea.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Show me the good life doesn’t consist in its length, but in its use, and it is possible - no, entirely too common - for a person who has had a long life to have lived too little.”

Seneca, Moral Letters.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“You say good fortune used to meet you at every corner. But the fortunate person is the one who gives himself good fortune. And good fortunes are a well-turned soul, good impulses, and good actions.”

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Joy for human beings lies in proper human work. And proper human work consists in: acts of kindness to other human beings, disdain for the stirrings of the senses, identifying trustworthy impressions, and contemplating the natural order and all that happens in keeping with it.”

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“I’m constantly amazed by how we love ourselves above all others, yet we put more stock in the opinions of others than in our own estimations of self. How much credence we give to the opinions our peers have of us and how little to our very own.”

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“I’m constantly amazed by how we love ourselves above all others, yet we put more stock in the opinions of others than in our own estimations of self. How much credence we give to the opinions our peers have of us and how little to our very own.”

I feel that should be one of the biggest takeaways from reading stoics.

Anyway is this the only thread where you are serious on sf Harv? Or this is too and act ;) ?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“The first thing to do - don’t get worked up. For everything happens according to the nature of all things, and in a short time you’ll be nobody and nowhere, even as the great empowers Hadrian and Augustus are now.”

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"The next thing to do - consider carefully the task at hand for what it is, while remembering your purpose is to be a proper human being. Get straight to doing what nature requires of you, and speak as you see most just and fitting, with kindness, modesty and sincerity."

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Work nourishes Noble minds.”

Seneca, Moral Letters.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“I can’t call a person a hard worker just because I hear he can read and write, even if working at it all night. Until I know what a person is working for I can’t seem him industrious. I can if the end he works for is his own ruling principle having it be and remain in constant harmony with nature.”

Epictetus, Discourses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads