• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
modern fencing = normal sport
historical fencing = dorky without saber maybe

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw a blurb on FB that filming wrapped on XI

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impressive if true, but that seems... unlikely.

;-)

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely typo'd roman numerals, guys. So sue me.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried to start a fencing club at grad school. Couldn’t get people to show up. Had a badass name, though. “Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.”

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

How do people look at (modern) fencing in Europe? Does it have the nerdy/effete connotations that it does in the US, or is it just a normal sport?

They've taught lightsaber classes at my wife's old fencing club for years. They also have regular Magic: The Gathering nights. Her current coach has very impressive board game and graphic novel collections. It is absolutely the sport for nerds and UMC misfits, at least in the US. Helps if you're tall, too.

Side note: I saw a segment on the news tonight about something called "battle swords" where they dress up in police riot gear, hockey masks, and hockey gloves, and beat the **** out of each other with wooden swords. The goal is to break some "crystals" attached to the riot armor. Seems kind of like laser tag x fencing. Definitely not as elegant or civilized.

I tried to start a fencing club at grad school. Couldn’t get people to show up. Had a badass dorky name, though. “Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet.”

FTFY.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side note: I saw a segment on the news tonight about something called "battle swords" where they dress up in police riot gear, hockey masks, and hockey gloves, and beat the **** out of each other with wooden swords. The goal is to break some "crystals" attached to the riot armor. Seems kind of like laser tag x fencing. Definitely not as elegant or civilized.

Talking about 'not civilized' I gotta link this, this is can't be really considered fencing though, but sort of fun to watch

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rumor is Rian Johnson and Lucasfilm are going to officially start production on his Trilogy soon. Can’t wait for these and to start hearing details about what his trilogy will be about.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So how long before we see lightsaber fighting as an Olympic sport? Bound to be more entertaining then curling or powerwalking.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads