• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Rogue One was a decent film but had structure problems (particularly the Saw Gerrera base scenes). I was surprisingly impressed by Solo - not perfect but it captured much of the flavour of the original film.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
B) - Read the article carefully "I very clearly differentiate between fans who dislike the film for legitimate creative reasons and the fans who piled on the film because they don't agree with Lucasfilm's casting of non-white actors and some of its progressive themes. These are two very different groups. Fans are more than welcome to dislike The Last Jedi for legitimate filmmaking reasons. (To an extent, that is. I mean, calm down.) What's not fine is the pervasive online harassment of actors like Kelly Marie Tran, who was driven off social media because of racist and misogynist attacks."
That's the rhetorical equivalent of "I'm not racist, but...," from a hack shill who gets paid by the word.

A) - You clearly don't understand what slander means - you might want to look it up.

That's not helpful. Obviously I know what slander means, and I assume you do as well---where we apparently disagree is whether we should look past feeble disclaimers like the one you quoted to what the author actually says---and then on to the larger narrative he's advancing. If he'd said "I'm not racist, but..." and then went on to support absurd and poisonous generalizations ****************** with a handful of twitter posts, you'd have no problem looking past the disclaimer. Again, the entire point of his articles is to slander critics of the Star Wars movies by associating them with a handful of cherry picked twitter posts from nobodies. And even then it's remarkable that with almost 8 billion people in the world, that was the best they could do...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the rhetorical equivalent of "I'm not racist, but...," from a hack shill who gets paid by the word.

No it's not - he's clearly distinguishing between two groups - there's no 'but' in there. Think of your school level venn diagram. He is not criticizing those who solely have a problem with the plot or cinematography, he is criticizing those who attack the film for having a diverse cast that reflects modern society, and yes there is an intersection and by implication is is criticizing that intersection. I can't find any evidence that he is criticizing those who solely have a problem with plot, cinematography, continuity etc. or any legitimate complaint. Yes he gets paid to write articles - it's what journalists do - that does not make them shills. To be a shill he would need to be paid by Disney. If you can provide evidence of this, rather than merely making an absurd assumption I'll happily apologise, but until then I'll assume it's a baseless accusation.

That's not helpful. Obviously I know what slander means, and I assume you do as well---where we apparently ...Again, the entire point of his articles is to slander critics of the Star Wars movies by associating them with a handful of cherry picked twitter posts from nobodies. And even then it's remarkable that with almost 8 billion people in the world, that was the best they could do...

Again you clearly don't understand what to slander someone means. Look it up in a dictionary. It's not a difficult word to use correctly.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I thought Rogue One was a decent film but had structure problems (particularly the Saw Gerrera base scenes). I was surprisingly impressed by Solo - not perfect but it captured much of the flavour of the original film.

My only real objection with Rogue One was the CGI of Tarkin wasn't very good.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will google that later for you

Still waiting on this @wojt. :stirpot:

Like I said before it’s something I keep seeing parroted online, but have yet to see much of any real evidence that anyone at Lucasfilm has been going around insulting fans.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still waiting on this @wojt. :stirpot:

Like I said before it’s something I keep seeing parroted online, but have yet to see much of any real evidence that anyone at Lucasfilm has been going around insulting fans.

seems like a good project for tomorrow

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do know Rian Johnson took a pop shot at Mike Zeroh, but I would hardly call that “attacking the fan base.” Mike Zeroh’s YouTube channel might be the biggest joke in the Star Wars community. He’s well known for constantly making **** up for the clicks.

I occasionally followed his site leading up to TLJ and he got nothing right about the film. Literally zero of his “insider content & rumors” proved to be true once the film was released. It amazes me that there are suckers out there that still subscribe to his channel and watch his videos.

11C32242-5E5B-4D56-A8E1-AD7ADF67B0B5.png

If anything RJ was being restrained here. :D

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Just saw Solo. It's better than Rogue 1, which is far better than TFA or TLJ.

I actually thought it was pretty good. Loved the conclusion to the "Who shot first?" debate at the end.

Are there plans for a sequal to this? I feel like they left room for Lando to redeem himself a bit.

I'm sure this has all been discussed in this thread, but I haven't read the last couple hundred pages. Why this forum is obsessed with one-size-fits-all threads is beyond me.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually thought it was pretty good. Loved the conclusion to the "Who shot first?" debate at the end.

Are there plans for a sequal to this? I feel like they left room for Lando to redeem himself a bit.

I'm sure this has all been discussed in this thread, but I haven't read the last couple hundred pages. Why this forum is obsessed with one-size-fits-all threads is beyond me.

It has been discussed idd. The general consensus seems to be that Rogue 1 is the best of new films, while most people enjoyed Solo as family/fun flick.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's such a shame they didn't hold Solo's release until this Christmas - for the UK market at least the release was terribly timed. Still it's supposedly doing okay on DVD sales. I preferred Solo to Rogue One, in much the same way I prefer Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back, even though EST is arguably the better film.

brokencycle

Reaction score

I just saw Solo too. It was good: an entertaining film with a lot of cool allusions to the original trilogy such as the thermodetonator scene, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it better than Rogue One. Both capture the sense of action and excitement that the original trilogy had for me.

The Zabrak scene was interesting too -- obviously there to imply Darth Maul is still alive, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is another Zabrak. I'd watch another Solo movie, but I'd love to see film versions of Kevin Anderson's books like Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

I believe there is a lot of neat content from now non-canon books that could be made into entertaining movies before the expanded universe went off the rails.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zabrak scene was interesting too -- obviously there to imply Darth Maul is still alive, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn it is another Zabrak. I'd watch another Solo movie, but I'd love to see film versions of Kevin Anderson's books like Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

It's Maul. As far as I am aware, there's no argument about that. It's well established through The Clone Wars and Rebels series that he survived and led an active criminal career after being sliced in half by Obi Wan (unlikely though that is...).

brokencycle

Reaction score
It's Maul. As far as I am aware, there's no argument about that. It's well established through The Clone Wars and Rebels series that he survived and led an active criminal career after being sliced in half by Obi Wan (unlikely though that is...).

Interesting. I never really bothered with The Clone Wars or Rebels series.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads