• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Writing about ****** fans being assholes is not defending the movie, unless you are an asshole/shitposter? The movies, even the originals, were average, but that has nothing to do with the cast diversity, or white genocide, or feminism, or good v. evil narrative in literally every single film.

What???????????

Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 14.15.43.png

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also what the Hell is with you guys getting all triggered whenever an article is written about the toxic part of the Star Wars community? He clearly spells out who he is talking about and who he is not. If you don't consider yourself belonging to that toxic part of the community then why do you give a **** what he says about them?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. Have you looked on YouTube lately? There are hundreds of videos trying to convince the world that TLJ is a travesty made by people who are out to **** thier childhood. "Truly bad films don't need people screaming at the fans who enjoyed it that the film is bad. End of story."

No I have not, but I assume there are still angry people doing angry videos. However you don't see that with game of thrones or w/e last Thanos movie. Like what do you expect; when you make something o far removed from what Star Wars is(or more accurately was)? Fortunately I have not bought any expanded universe books about Skywalker kids.... I mean Ryan Johnson fucked up, he could have taken the blame, but he is basically the pope of the this deflection journalism- at his and Kennedy's comments only add fuel to the fire. I'm pretty sure if they would stfu(let's not even go as far as admit *********** up) this probably would be long over by now.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is it you want them to admit? That they released a Star Wars film that has made over 1.3 billion worldwide and was loved by millions of fans?

Yes there are fans who didn't care for it. That's obvious and no one is claiming otherwise. So what? Are they expected to apologize to you guys or something? You want KK and RJ to ignore what a huge boxoffice and critical success TLJ was to get on their knees and grovel to the portion of fans who were not happy?

Have some perspective here.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also what the Hell is with you guys getting all triggered whenever an article is written about the toxic part of the Star Wars community? He clearly spells out who he is talking about and who he is not. If you don't consider yourself belonging to that toxic part of the community then why do you give a **** what he says about them?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but

"I very clearly differentiate between fans who dislike the film for legitimate creative reasons and the fans who piled on the film because they don't agree with Lucasfilm's casting of non-white actors and some of its progressive themes. These are two very different groups. Fans are more than welcome to dislike The Last Jedi for legitimate filmmaking reasons. (To an extent, that is. I mean, calm down.) What's not fine is the pervasive online harassment of actors like Kelly Marie Tran, who was driven off social media because of racist and misogynist attacks."

it seems to me not liking Disney for inserting their rather obvious and obnoxious progressive themes to the movie makes me part of online harassment camp. And by far these are not different groups of people, by far these groups overlap. Besides that we have what? Maybe a hundred/few hundred abusive assholes who harrass actors online. The category number two is handful of people, not to be talked in terms of defining "fandom".

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it you want them to admit? That they released a Star Wars film that has made over 1.3 billion worldwide and was loved by millions of fans?

Yes there are fans who didn't care for it. That's obvious and no one is claiming otherwise. So what, they are expected to apologize to you guys or something? You want KK and RJ to ignore what a huge boxoffice and critical success TLJ was to get on their knees and grovel to the portion of fans who were not happy?

Have some perspective here.

well not insulting fanbase would be a good start

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
well not insulting fanbase would be a good start

I keep seeing this talking point be passed around yet have seen very little evidence of it actually happening to any noteworthy degree.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lol. Why am I arguing with the guy who thinks Disney/Lucas needs to apologize to him for the billion dollar grossing film they made that he felt butt hurt about.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing this talking point be passed around yet have seen very little evidence of it actually happening to any noteworthy degree.

I will google that later for you

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feeling insulted, enough that you demand an apology, by the casting of minorities and women is some hardcore white-male privilege.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, but casting is not the problem with TLJ imo

That's my thought as well. It's evident as hell just from Rouge One. K-2SO's death had more emotional impact than Han's because they took the time to dramatize the characters. When Kylo killed Han I was completely unfazed because they basically just said "here is Kylo's dad and now he is killing his dad." They never showed a single flashback or had Han or Kylo say a damn thing to make it seen like they were ever a family, loved each other or even sat at the same dinner table. Dramatize a ******* rat and people will love the movie. The characters are irrelevant, their characterization is everything.

My hot take is that Rouge One is the best Star Wars movie because they established the emotional connections. A New Hope, to it's credit, did this more than the other movies.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my thought as well. It's evident as hell just from Rouge One. K-2SO's death had more emotional impact than Han's because they took the time to dramatize the characters. When Kylo killed Han I was completely unfazed because they basically just said "here is Kylo's dad and now he is killing his dad." They never showed a single flashback or had Han or Kylo say a damn thing to make it seen like they were ever a family, loved each other or even sat at the same dinner table. Dramatize a ******* rat and people will love the movie. The characters are irrelevant, their characterization is everything.

My hot take is that Rouge One is the best Star Wars movie because they established the emotional connections. A New Hope, to it's credit, did this more than the other movies.

I agree.

PS: it's Rogue One.

A Moulin Rouge / Rogue One mash-up does sound interesting though...

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree, and Rogue One was just all around great star wars movie. The space battle is on par with what we have seen in original movies and theme of a "war movie" in Star Wars universe was very nicely done. Not to mention it made ANH make a little more sense(small size of rebel fleet at Yavin, origin of why Death Star had such flaw in its design for example). It's imo best movie outside Original Trilogy, maybe tied with ROTS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads