• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitive Star Wars tier list. Fight me. :fence:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Rouge One
The Force Awakens
Solo
Rise of Skywalker
Phantom Menace.
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones.

Man. Ranking those bottom three is tough. Rise of Skywalker was irredeemable for so many reasons, but the acting was better than the prequels.

I'd probably put ROS at the bottom just because the story is SO BAD, but they're all garbage.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Rouge One
The Force Awakens
Solo
Rise of Skywalker
Phantom Menace.
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones.

Man. Ranking those bottom three is tough. Rise of Skywalker was irredeemable for so many reasons, but the acting was better than the prequels.

I'd probably put ROS at the bottom just because the story is SO BAD, but they're all garbage.

No fighting necessary, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if its wrong ;-)
JK (mostly)

The top tier is mostly good, I'd likely rank R1 over ROTJ and Last Jedi, but that's just me....

Yeah, that bottom tier is tough (prequels and ROS all fighting for the bottom.)

On a slightly different topic, had an interesting conversation with a friend last night. We are both Star Wars and Star Trek fans. He mentioned how new SW content while not all great, is much better than most of the new Trek we've gotten for the last few years, Strange New Worlds being the notable exception (being pretty good)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The intra-factional drama was shallow, as well. Nothing about them worked for me here.

What's funny, is I actually had some thoughts about this in the final episode with some of the scenes with the grand inquisitor. Like you *could* tell some interesting intra-empire drama there. It doesn't just have to be the third sister trying to kill vader.

I got the feeling that her knowledge that Vader is Anakin was pretty rare and resulted directly from her backstory. If you assume the other inquisitors don't know it (and if they did know--you'd think they would understand the importance of specifically finding obi-wan), you can ascribe different motivations to their actions.

Like when Vader is pursuing obi-wan at all costs and the grand inquisitor is like "but that ship contains much of the network we've been trying to destroy for YEARS". If he doesn't quite understand the nature of the Emperor-Vader relationship, you can easily imagine ways in which he could be angling for Vader's job/trying to concentrate power in his faction, etc.

If you weren't telling an Obi-Wan story, but rather a third sister vengeance story, I think you'd instead see her trying to manipulate the other inquisitors into an anti-vader position (leading them to believe it was just about factional power, not a personal vendetta).

Light Saber would cauterize the wound though so you’d only be dealing with internal damage, not a risk of bleeding out
And to be fair...he's not human. His vital organs could be in different spots.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I thought ROS was a mess that pandered to all the whiny fanbois who complained about TLJ. I’d still watch it over any of the prequels. It at least had its moments.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
Solo
Rise of Skywalker
Phantom Menace.
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones.

good list 1-3

bad list after that,

prequels >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sequels

Also you enjoy The Last Jedi more than Rogue One ?! Even if you are a Brick fan that's suspect.

Bonus question: How did you arrive at TPM being better than ROTS(outside of Palpatines tripple axel and General Grievous). Unless you're watching Phantom Edit exclusively that's hard to understand.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate all the prequels, but TPM wasn't trying to be anything else than a film for kids. The other two tried to be all-ages fair and completely failed to be compelling in any regard.

The ST is far superior to any of them.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate all the prequels, but TPM wasn't trying to be anything else than a film for kids. The other two tried to be all-ages fair and completely failed to be compelling in any regard.

The ST is far superior to any of them.

Well then you are lost!

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't keep track of all the acronyms...

It's like I stumbled into a $cientology thread, you damn SPs.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Much to learn you still have

ps. Is it top3 star wars duel? I think it is.Plus the most emotional scene since ROTS or even ROTJ. I think only ESB and ROTJ fights are as good as this. Change my mind!

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Much to learn you still have

ps. Is it top3 star wars duel? I think it is.Plus the most emotional scene since ROTS or even ROTJ. I think only ESB and ROTJ fights are as good as this. Change my mind!

No argument from me on that one.

Some of the ones in the cartoons are also very good but that's kind of cheating.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

THIS is a SW thread, not ST. (Those fans spell things out....)

Heres a Primer
ANH A New Hope (formerly, just Star Wars SW)
ESB or TESB The Empire Strikes Back
ROTJ Return of the Jedi
TPM The Phantom Menace
AOTC Attach of the Clones
ROTS Revenge of the Sith
TFA The Force Awakens
TLJ The Last Jedi
ROS Rise of Skywalker

Don't get ROTJ and ROTS confused... or ROTS and ROS.... see? simple.

Then theres:
ST, Sequel trilogy, the new ones with Ray, Poe and Finn)
OT Original Trilogy
PT Prequel Trilogy

Aaaaaand
OOT Original Original Trilogy, the unaltered version of the first three (by release date) before the SEs (Special Editions) came out

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a historical swordfighting guy who critiques movie sword fights. He did all the Star Wars movies.

Not surprisingly, he liked the OOT the most. Less flashy, mostly based on real styles, they actually look like they're trying to hit each other.

The critique of the prequels is not surprising, too many goddam spins and twirls. It looks impressive at first glance but it gets really ridiculous en masse. There are definitely some good phrases though.

Sequels, more or less the same as my critique. Everything is too heavy. You don't need to swing for the fences. Also reverse grip is terrible, stop using it Hollywood. Especially with a light saber, you'd get your damn arms lopped off.

On rewatch I'm still not sure whether I like the saber battles from the prequels or sequels better. The sequels obviously tried to be the anti-prequels (no spins/twirls/silly jumps), but they overdid it by making the weapons look clumsy instead of the "elegant weapon, from a more civilized age" that a lot of us fell in love with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads