• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
From what I have read the "they had no plan" is exaggerated. Lucas Films had storyboards and outlines of where they wanted to take it. They lifted ideas and themes from what George gave them and many years of EU lore.

It's more that they gave each director a level of freedom to take the franchise where they wanted. I continue to believe this worked with TLJ. Not so much with ROS.

Directors of MCU films have far less control over the narratives they tell. Much of it is planned from the top-down and directors who don't play ball can be replaced.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have read the "they had no plan" is exaggerated. Lucas Films had storyboards and outlines of where they wanted to take it. They lifted ideas and themes from what George gave them and many years of EU lore.

It's more that they gave each director a level of freedom to take the franchise where they wanted. I continue to believe this worked with TLJ. Not so much with ROS.
It just felt like ROS was an overreaction to the criticisms faced from ROS. Disney executives panicked and backtracked on everything done in TLJ.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It just felt like ROS was an overreaction to the criticisms faced from ROS. Disney executives panicked and backtracked on everything done in TLJ.

100%. This has been my take in this thread since I saw the film.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If true this means ROS would have had the most top-down input of any of the films in the sequel trilogy. Too many cooks in the kitchen as the saying goes.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched the latest Boba episode last night.
The practical effects on the Bantha scene where it's eating looked like Sid and Marty Krofft had their hands up it's ass working the controls.
That was some Sigmund and the Sea Monsters type special effects...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I liked Solo. I don't think it was terribly good but it had the good space-romp feel of the OT. Solo and Rogue One are really the only two that I remember the story of. Which..oh boy.

There were parts of the last three that I enjoyed. They were all pretty. There were some cool themes. There were great nuggets that went absolutely nowhere. If they were all free of the Star Wars label I bet we'd all say that they are good movies if not anything great.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched the latest Boba episode last night.
The practical effects on the Bantha scene where it's eating looked like Sid and Marty Krofft had their hands up it's ass working the controls.
That was some Sigmund and the Sea Monsters type special effects...

I was thinking THE SAME THING! Like, seriously, I know Favreau and team are very much into practical effects vice CGI, to get that real/lived in look like the OT, but that was... well it was just bad.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode more than the third. and my son continues to enjoy it. He was the first to catch the musical foreshadowing at the end

At the end, son turns to me and says, are they going to hire the Mandalorian? Why do you think that? The music dad!

Yes, It seems likely there's a BoBF/Mando crossover part II on its way.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I liked Solo. I don't think it was terribly good but it had the good space-romp feel of the OT. Solo and Rogue One are really the only two that I remember the story of. Which..oh boy.

There were parts of the last three that I enjoyed. They were all pretty. There were some cool themes. There were great nuggets that went absolutely nowhere. If they were all free of the Star Wars label I bet we'd all say that they are good movies if not anything great.

Solo was a fun movie, and I thought Rogue One was a really solid movie all the way around.

If true this means ROS would have had the most top-down input of any of the films in the sequel trilogy. Too many cooks in the kitchen as the saying goes.

Or JJ Abrams sucks. He makes great action scenes, but I can't think of anything he has done where I thought either "that's a great movie" or "that was a great story."

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eh. I think that's an exaggeration. In terms of films he has directed, I liked Star Trek (2009), Super 8, and the MI film he did. I'd give TFA a solid B.

He's actually not directed that many films or TV shows and has mostly spent his career as a producer on various projects. The list of films/TV he directed is smaller than most people seem to think.

1642718250037.png

Source: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009190/

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh. I think that's an exaggeration. In terms of films he has directed, I liked Star Trek (2009), Super 8, and the MI film he did. I'd give TFA a solid B.

He's actually not directed that many films or TV shows and has mostly spent his career as a producer on various projects. The list of films he directed is smaller than most people seem to think.

View attachment 1740728

Not exactly a list that makes me say "wow, great director!"

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not exactly a list that makes me say "wow, great director!"

Star Trek Into Darkness let me down but had its moments. You all know how I feel about ROS. Otherwise, it's a decent film resume. Keep in mind only six projects on that list I posted are films.

brokencycle

Reaction score

He's actually not directed that many films or TV shows and has mostly spent his career as a producer on various projects. The list of films/TV he directed is smaller than most people seem to think.

View attachment 1740728

Spoiler: I have barely watched any TV or movies directed or produced by him.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spoiler: I have barely watched any TV or movies directed or produced by him.

On the internet that actually makes you the perfect person to comment on the quality of his work!

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1740728

One: he has a pretty solid TV writing/production background where the Ex Producer is the creative.
Two: breathing new life into the Star Trek franchise alone will keep him in scripts for as long as he wants.
Three: a monkey could direct.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads