• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Will it stand out as one of the better episodes of the series? Not even close, but it was an enjoyable start to the season. The show has a certain calming pace to it and I actually think that is one of its strengths.

My feelings as well, it was not great not terrible but it had the feel of the 1st season so far I am cautiously optimistic about season2 and I haven't been optimistic about StarWars for a long time, a long time.

Feel free to take away my Star Was fan card because I didn't realize

Funboi cards taken away @Jr Mouse @SixOhNine

it was obvious from the start- the hole in the helmet was a give away and the look of the armor too, another clue- abandoned sarlacc pit and well planet of residence!

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok meme time

1605047701642.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second one was better I felt, but my son disagreed. I just feel these episodes are killing time rather than advancing the plot. They are like the sag in the middle of a series rather than the exciting episodes that establish a story arc. I do hope this series isn't going to be all sag in preparation for a final third series in which things actually happen...

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the story arc is the main priority. It seems like the whole premise of the show is "Small Timer in a Big Universe." I will actually be disappointed if it turns out that somewhere along the line we get hooked into the Skywalker Saga. I kind of like that although it's taking place in the Star Wars universe, almost nothing going on has any effect on the larger stage.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second one was better I felt, but my son disagreed. I just feel these episodes are killing time rather than advancing the plot. They are like the sag in the middle of a series rather than the exciting episodes that establish a story arc. I do hope this series isn't going to be all sag in preparation for a final third series in which things actually happen...
I'm enjoying it as kind of just a weekly adventure serial.
In episode 2, I dug the X-Wings showing up, and the whole Jay-Z
"In my rearview mirror is the motherfucking law
I got two choices y'all, pull over the car or
Bounce on the devil, put the pedal to the floor"
Space chase...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know the kinds of series The Mandalorian is based on do exactly the same, but that's the problem. I need more than just a series of references set in the Star Wars universe. And a story arc actually makes a difference. The first series did have a coherent overall narrative, but also had individual adventures within it some of which were diversions but which contributed to character development, some which contributed to the plot. This second series has yet to establish a coherent overall narrative and at the moment appears to be just individual adventures, and the individual adventures so far have both been a bit weak and overly derivative and really haven't done anything for character development (in fact in the first one, Mando was a bit too superhero like). It's still okay and I don't hate it. I'm just hoping a story will emerge.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible that somehow they're going to try to make this gel into some kind of overarching storyline, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems to me that they are deliberately trying to avoid doing that. But I'd be happy to turn out to be wrong.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible that somehow they're going to try to make this gel into some kind of overarching storyline, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems to me that they are deliberately trying to avoid doing that. But I'd be happy to turn out to be wrong.
Well, they have the “searching for other Mandos to figure out how to get the kid home” fig leaf of a storyline. It’s easy enough to fit any number of one-off episodes they want under that umbrella. Random person shares rumor of Mandalorians on Planet X. Travel to Planet X, with minor spot of trouble en route. Have some big adventure on Planet X because something stands in the way of searching for the Mando Reunion. Survive adventure, find rumor was wrong and/or new lead point to Planet Y.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. There's also the "what's up with Moff Gideon and the Blacksaber" thing they haven't explored that much. Either one could turn into a storyline, I suppose.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. There's also the "what's up with Moff Gideon and the Blacksaber" thing they haven't explored that much. Either one could turn into a storyline, I suppose.

They have teased that, and frankly it's the only thing my son wants to know about!

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sort of dig the idea of seeing relics from the Jedi/Sith floating around the galaxy. Think about how many lightsabers must have been scooped up during Order 66. Surely they didn't all get destroyed. I like the idea of some of them winding up with people who have no idea what their heritage is.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t the “episode of the week” one of the main complaints mid season one? Then at the end, they pulled it all together with him going back and recruiting Kuill and Cara Dune?

Personally, I’m enjoying the ride....

The Marshall and a Krayt dragon? Cool
Ice planet with spawn of Shelob and Aliens? Ok!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riding off into the sunset with Boba Fett's armour while Fett, once the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy, watched from the distance with a none-too-pleased look on his face? Cool

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the episode of the week format. It's nice change of pace that the show isn't super invested in a continuing storyline.

Don't get me wrong. I love a long story arc, but not everything has to follow that format. Mando feels like a nice compromise where it is there, but they don't lean heavily into it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads