• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have trouble understanding why they didn't script out the trilogy ahead of time like Marvel does. They seemed to just throw this at different Directors with no long-term plan. Would love to see Kathleen Kennedy bow out after this movie.

YES!
Maybe not a full script, to let individual directors add their own flavor to each installment, but at least an outline, or paramerters like Marvel, (you must start here, end here, with left and right limits to the story)

I saw the original in 1977 and have been a fan ever since. Can't wait for them to get this part over with and move on. I'm going opening night out of tradition/curiosity. I'm sure some parts of it will be good. I suspect that it will just be Return of the Jedi-redux with a teary Force Ghost ending. Abrams is capable but very unoriginal.

Same same. iwill admitt to liking the new Dinsey movies better than the prequals, then again, that's not saying much.

For rewatch value, the only one I tend to re-visit is Rogue One.

Anyway, the big news is, Expanse S4 dropped today. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

aeb589911be1d28055801d5d83d7fd63.gif

^^

THIS!
This all day long.

People forget the original Trilogy wasnt all planned out from day one either. Lucas has some outlines, but each film was written as they went.

Yes, agreed, but at least he had an outline. This trilogy (at least so far) looks like this one cahllenge in Top Chef, where a goup of chefs has to collaborate to make a dish, but only one is in the kitchen at a time, and they cant talk to each other, so chefs two, three and beyond have to try to figure out what the chefs before them were thinking.....

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES!
Maybe not a full script, to let individual directors add their own flavor to each installment, but at least an outline, or paramerters like Marvel, (you must start here, end here, with left and right limits to the story)

Same same. iwill admitt to liking the new Dinsey movies better than the prequals, then again, that's not saying much.

For rewatch value, the only one I tend to re-visit is Rogue One.

^^

THIS!
This all day long.

Yes, agreed, but at least he had an outline. This trilogy (at least so far) looks like this one cahllenge in Top Chef, where a goup of chefs has to collaborate to make a dish, but only one is in the kitchen at a time, and they cant talk to each other, so chefs two, three and beyond have to try to figure out what the chefs before them were thinking.....
I feel the exact same way about Disney's process for the latest trilogy. Rogue One is also the only movie I've really gone back and watched again.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel the exact same way about Disney's process for the latest trilogy. Rogue One is also the only movie I've really gone back and watched again.

I still can't wrap my head around Kennedy's statements that Star Wars wouldn't work like the MCU from a story perspective.... why on earth not??

Put one person (or a small group) in charge of overall story to ensure some sort of continuity and cohesive story telling. Marvel kept it together for 20 movies that told, more or less, and cohesive/continuous story.

Break//break:
Besides Rogue One, I am thoroughly enjoying The Mandalorian

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still can't wrap my head around Kennedy's statements that Star Wars wouldn't work like the MCU from a story perspective.... why on earth not??

Put one person (or a small group) in charge of overall story to ensure some sort of continuity and cohesive story telling. Marvel kept it together for 20 movies that told, more or less, and cohesive/continuous story.

Break//break:
Besides Rogue One, I am thoroughly enjoying The Mandalorian
I think Lucasfilm does/did have a continuity department. That's how they at least tried to keep all the novels and comics somewhat in line.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solo was a decent movie. I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. And Rogue One was also legit good. The sooner they finish off "The Skywalker Saga", or whatever grandiose name they're calling it, and just start making movies set in the Start Wars universe, the better.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night's episode followed same plot as usual apparently. Stop-blow stuff up- continue on. Only switch was leaving Tonks, bald Boston comedian, and the Kurgan alive to return in final episode.

Fun to watch I guess, even if predictable.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The show is definitely treading water. Baby Yoda's kind of pointless right now. Mando just locks him up and forgets about him until he finds trouble. I assume we'll get back to the serial arc soon.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think if you guys are ever expecting the show to engage in a heavy serial arc you are kidding yourselves. We will get bits and pieces most of the season. Little things that add texture to the story. Then the last few episodes will be story arc focused to tie things up. Rinse and repeat each year. Most episodes feeling like stand alones. It’s a formula that works.

The show will never be knee deep in far reaching story arcs like GoT was.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show only has two more episodes. Wasn't expecting super-serious plotting I guess. I think a Jedi will show up at the end to take Baby Yoda. Just a guess, no real info. Maybe a cliffhanger as well since they will clearly do another season.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn’t realize there were only two left. I still expect the final couple to be more story focused.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think if you guys are ever expecting the show to engage in a heavy serial arc you are kidding yourselves. We will get bits and pieces most of the season. Little things that add texture to the story. Then the last few episodes will be story arc focused to tie things up. Rinse and repeat each year. Most episodes feeling like stand alones. It’s a formula that works.

The show will never be knee deep in far reaching story arcs like GoT was.

I'm not expecting a heavy serial arc. In fact I like the format. (Like I've said before I think Netflix should have done this with the Marvel shows.) But it's pushing my suspension of disbelief that Mando knows how important Baby Yoda is, but he's so damned careless about him. He's just in the background for cuteness at this point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads