1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

It's more plausible than a female ghostbuster

1 person likes this.
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I'd say no, but her taping into the dark side briefly was the intention of the film and script.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I get your points, @LA Guy, but can you explain why Rey is the only character with a British accent? (It would have been easy for Ridley to "play American" as many British actors do.) Was Jakku formerly a British colony?

4. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    Obi-Wan?
    Qui-Gon?
    Sidious/Palpatine?
    Ki-Adi-Mundi?
    A large number of Imperial Officers?
    First Order Officers?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The only character with a British accent in TFA. Clearly, I haven't watched a Star Wars movie since 1999. :embar:

6. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    Captain Phasma
    C-3PO
    First Order Officer played by Thomas Brodie-Sangster (Funny thing, he asked Qui-Gon for love advice in Love Actually).
    First Order General was not British but Irish, still had an accent though.
    Snoke

Chewbacca had a slight British accent when he roared, if you listened very carefully.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jr Mouse

British accents in SW has always been and will always be a thing.

8. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I'm certainly not claiming to have beaten up more girls than you have.

This is a gross misrepresentation of the actual discussion. I said I thought the little girl('s mother) who wrote that note misunderstood what a "strong" female character is supposed to be. You asked me elaborate on it. Then you interjected with the diversity schlock, which I had said was distracting -- and it is. It was a very deliberate decision to change the composition of the casts to push present-day political issues, that has nothing to do with the story. It reminds me of the "Only Sith speak in absolutes" horseshit from the prequels. It's not like I'm the only person who's brought it up, as the "diversity" of the cast has been fawned over extensively by professional reviewers.

If anything, you're the one pushing both of these issues. So grab a mirror and tell me what you see, Doc.

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I cringed when Rey was schooling Han on the mechanics of the Millenium Falcon. Pretty heavy handed to have a "you go girl!" moment overlap with tearing down a male character everyone grew up admiring.

I don't think a boy today can watch this new movie and be inspired by a male character in the same way he would by watching the original trilogy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

It's the consistency that really irks me.

For instance, when Rey's first opens her mouth she's speaking Jakkunian. But it's clear to anyone with ears that she had a heavy Tatooinian accent like she grew up in the goddamn Mos Eisley suburbs. Fail JJ.

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

It certainly didn't sound like she was from Naboo or Coruscant.

12. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I've watched the movie a few times now and I've forgiven some things that irked me after the first viewing.

But one thing I can't let go of is the ho-hum reveal that Han is Kylo's father.

"Hey you know that droid everyone's after? It's on the Falcon with YOUR DAD!"

You had a chance to make a dramatic reveal later in the movie and blew it on unnecessary exposition between Kylo and the Giant.

Could have easily alluded to some sort of relationship without saying it outright so damn early in the movie. Keep the mystery going for at least a little bit.

13. Jr Mouse

I believe she speaks to him about parts that were modified on the ship after he had ownership of it. The man who owned it in the junkyard was the alien buying scraps off of her and for whom she did work for. She had knowledge of these modifications because of that. I agree it was heavy handed, but I disagree that it represented tearing down Han Solo anymore then the moment in the OT where C-3PO explains what needs to be fixed on the ship to him. Han pretends to already know it then goes and tells Chewie to make the repairs.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I thought not trying to hide the ball about Ren's origin was a pleasant inversion of audience expectations. That being said, the Han Solo death scene was atrocious, especially on a subsequent viewing.

Ren is supposed to be genuinely conflicted (at least, they tell us he is), but, apparently out of a need to manipulate the audience to create suspense about what he's going to do, it comes off as Ren screwing with Solo. His lines seem to vacillate between cruel and inexplicable.

15. Jr Mouse

I pretty much disliked Snoke in the film, but think it's understandable why they went the reveal in that way. It seems obvious they didn't want it to be compared to the ESB "I am your father" moment. Having it come out so casually prevented this.

This may have been backed up in an interview I read a while ago, but I am not sure. If I come across it again I will share it here.

16. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Watching it a second time, I didn't think he was screwing with Han. If anything, he knew he was gonna kill him as soon as he stepped onto the bridge....he just needed a little push. Kinda like ripping off a Band-Aid or losing your anal virginity.

The light from the sun going out was a little too on-the-nose (as most of the things in this film were) but hey, it's a Star Wars movie.

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Snoke looked a bit like the genie from Alladin had been hit with the ugly stick a couple dozen times.

1 person likes this.
  18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm just reacting to you. During the course of the movie, yes, I noticed the hand around the world cast of X-Wing pilots (incidentally, a nod to the diversity of the Rebel Armada in ROTJ), but it didn't register on my emotion meter at all. That yours was one of annoyance and irritation speaks volumes about you. After all, this is a story that happened in a magical land. Your reaction would be much more justified if say, the movie has been about, say, Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, and he inexplicably has Morgan Freeman, playing a Moor, as his mentor/sidekick. But, it's not. It's Star Wars. Regardless of the politics of choosing an ethnically diverse cast, that there was an ethnically diverse cast should not make the Star Wars world more implausible, for anyone.

Not sure that I have it in me to say that again.

Re. Rey. C'mon man. Your objection to her in this thread far predated the silly note that the 8 year old girl channeling her angry mother wrote.

3 people like this.
  19. Jr Mouse

It's a sad thing that some people get their panties in a bunch about Hollywood making an effort to include a more diverse cast in films. How is this not a good thing unless you just have a hard on for seeing white males on screen?

Fok it was more than just a nod. As much as people keep saying this film was a direct plot rip off of ANH, it really did mix in elements of all the OT films. The ending battle felt much more ROTJ with the cut aways to a lightsaber battle then it did the final of ANH.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Oh, good. I'm not one of those psychoanalzying types, but I was afraid you were going to say something like, well, manifesting these insecurities by going on about how you attend "fight gyms," what you might be trying to justify or excuse by elaborating about how women aren't defenseless and could hold their own against men, your apparent need to come to womens' defense as if you felt you had something to atone for, all that--I dunno, like I said, I wouldn't know where to start.

So you just kept pressing me on something I'd said briefly before, then used the fact that I replied to you to call me obsessed or something. Fair enough.