Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

It's been less than a week... You can't assume all fans went opening weekend. Many people are holding off to see it with Family this week. I did add a spoiler warning to the title, but can we please at least give it a few weeks?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

But it at least had an internal combustion engine that powered up the bad. With this thing it might be faster to just tow it toward the planet you wanted to destroy and then cut the tow rope and veer off at the last minute.

Jr ... it's okay to let go, man.

lefty

3. Jr Mouse

JJ also proved once again he doesn't really know how space works. I love how people of various planets can just look up in the sky and see other ones explode. Happened in his first Star Trek too.

4. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Few weeks seems OD, if people haven't seen it then they really should avoid the thread altogether until they do.

That's just me though.

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

6. Jr Mouse

Well I threw out 2 weeks before as a compromise to those of you wanting to not have to use tags. Let's just go with that.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That's cool, not really trying to participate in the discussion, it's just getting annoying clicking open all the spoiler tags :lol:

8. riton

riton Senior member

My sentiment as well :(

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

10. ken

ken Banned by Request

Yes, SW was good. The problem is that TFA was not good.

Watch SW again: there's no movie without the Death Star. The Death Star is why Leia is chased and captured. It's why Luke meets Obi-Wan. It's why Obi-Wan introduces Luke to Han. It's a literary device that pushes the story everywhere it goes. It's ultimately destroyed because of the effort put forth by the heroes throughout the entire movie.

TFA rehashes the story without rehashing the magic. Death Star 3 pops up out of nowhere. It doesn't accomplish much other than putting Han and Ben in the same place at the same time (which could have been done umpteen different ways). It's ultimately destroyed because of pure luck: a defector just-so-happens to know how to destroy it.

I really think the story should have been more about the race between the Empire and the rebels in their search for Luke.

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Dude, have you ever seen a planet explode in real life? I didn't think so. So how do you know it does or doesn't look like?

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am going to unsubscribe from this thread until I see the movie (if I ever do). I don't want to be tempted by the spoilers.

14. wojt

wojt Senior member

He hasn't because you can't see it
    [​IMG]

15. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Wikipedia has a quote from Andy Serkis: "He is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design—you couldn't have gotten there with prosthetics... Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone and facial structure." So basically, an excuse for mo-cap, as you said.

Shouldn't it have been a shock that there was someone resisting armed with a lightsabre in that scene? Where did this weapon come from that can take on a lightsabre, and why did that one stormtrooper uniquely have one?

Is this even supposed to be a mystery? Rey is trying on an X-wing pilot's helmet in a scene right at the beginning.

I thought it was supposed to be "obvious" she was Luke's kid at some point. How else could she best Kylo without even a single training session? I was disappointed she essentially could have killed him right off the bat in film #1 -- save that for the last part; he should have outmatched her still here, even if only barely.

What are the "Knights of Ren" and are they in the movie or just the backstory? I remember Kylo Ren being surrounded by stormtroopers most of the time.

Well, you're not wrong.

And as someone else said earlier, I was bothered that Leia and Chewy didn't so much as glance at one another in the third-act disembarking scene when she inexplicably heads straight to Rey, who then doesn't say anything to her about what happened on the mission, as I recall it.