Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

It's been suppressed a long time man.... have to reach back to freshman year of high school...

I want the Sun Crusher.

2. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

You are taking it back. I've always liked centerpoint station.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. El Argentino

As long as they NEVER introduce/hint at/whatever the :facepalm: that was Luke's relationship w/ Callista, I dare say anything Abrams does is fine by me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Senior member

I definitely agree. I'd like to see them introduce Mara.

5. why

why Senior member

Possibly the only big time director worse than JJ Abrams is George Lucas himself.

6. Nil

Nil Senior member

The existence of Michael Bay disproves your point. I'll take gratuitous amounts of lens flare over jive talking robots and jingoism any day of the week.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'll up the ante.

This was a long fucking time ago. Before I ever knew the gentle touch of a woman or the biting taste of alcohol. But wasn't there supposed to be some grand scheme of Star Wars called the Journal of the Whils? 7, 8, 9 were supposed to focus on Luke fighting the ultimate evil and eventually having to sacrifice his own life to defeat it.

Full disclosure, I worked with West End Games to develop the Star Wars Roleplaying Game. I'm not proud of that time in my life, but it is what it is.

8. El Argentino

WHOA MAN -

My impression was that people claimed Lucas ripped off the Journal of the Whills (authored by someone else) conveniently for the basis of his Star Wars story, but not that it was some previously formatted master plan. That's only if I'm remembering correctly though.

EDIT: I am flatly wrong above.^ Bravo, Harvey.

:slayer:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

+1! :slayer:

10. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Am I the only one that thought the movie centered around Yoda sounded like an awesome idea?

The one thing I never understood in general was why the lightsaber colors were so boring though. Red, green, blue... and only Windu's purple (at least in true canon, that I can remember). But in the games they let you build with any colored crystal. :\

11. otc

otc Senior member

Always thought it was more of an alignment/level thing than an aesthetic choice.

Also maybe those are the colors crystals come in? It's not like you can just use any old crystal to make a lightsaber.

12. El Argentino

IIRC, (at least in EU) lightsaber-grade crystals are extremely rare and hard to obtain. As you get into the "even rarer" part of the spectrum, you get more unique colors. I guess a lot of it came down to the Jedi's preference, and to getting the needed crystal (inasmuch as padawans need to construct their lightsabers themselves).

In the movies, Lucas originally only wanted Blue/Red for good/evil, but the blue light was really difficult to add after the fact in the outside shots on Tatooine from ROTJ, so they made Luke's new one green to show up better on screen. From there, I think SamJackson continued pushing and pushing for Windu to have a purple lightsaber for whatever reason, and Lucas accommodated him.

13. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

Yes.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Nevermind guys, we were all wrong:

From the script:
    In the movie itself, you see a bit of an eyeroll after he says this. Obi-Wan was an educated jedi, having spent his earlier life traversing the galaxy, he probably knows his units. Han either doesn't actually know his units or is just trying to impress the old man. Easy to assume that the eye roll is more "oh, this cocky bastard thinks his ship is fast" but the stage directions make it pretty clear.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  15. El Argentino

A script before it was flushed out by EU.

Parsecs are not units of time. The script here would not even consider Vader as Luke's father.