Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I enjoyed it - not as good as the first two but no weaker than Return of the Jedi. A little too referential of the first two films, but a more than decent stab at linking the originals to a new cast. Not without faults but much better than I feared and probably as good as I hoped. It had the odd moment that brought out the 6yr old who saw the original on it's release... :D

2. sliq

sliq Senior member

i thought TFA was a thoroughly good movie; good pace, a bit of lip service to its prequels, just the right amount of light sabre fighting, and funny dialogue in all the right parts. my favourite line:

Finn: We'll figure it out, we'll use the Force!
    Han Solo: That's not how the Force works!

The landscape of the closing scene with Rey meeting Luke was breathtaking.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Good thing:

The girl, the shield control, and the weak spot all happened to be within walking distance of each other.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Since all the Jedi were killed off, any new Force sensitive characters we meet are either going to be related to one of the force sensitive characters we've already seen in the original trilogy, or is going to turn out to be someone that has been in hiding. Neither of these are particularly unique, but what are the other options?

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Got to reiterate that I am not an SW expert but is the "force" hereditary? A random dude can't just be born with it?

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It's like[COLOR=f4a460] intelligence[/COLOR] that way.

7. otc

otc Senior member

I mean...all of those kids in the prequels aren't coming from jedi parents since the jedi weren't supposed to have families.

But I suppose they could have been coming from force sensitive parents who just weren't found and trained (or who weren't that strong, but their offspring have grown stronger).

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I think it's both. You can inherit it and just be randomly born with it.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Aside from all the massive stupidity in the plot I was taken aback by how average and dull it all seemed. I think I drifted off during the second act.

lefty

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...wakens-disappointment-debate-nostalgia/421332

Critical review, pointing out the movie's many faults and flaws as well as explaining the use of the
    Death Star 3.0 as an Abrams reset button. Apparently when it blew up some planets, that was supposed to be the entire new government and its entire armed forces, everything that had been built since Return of the Jedi. So when someone says "without the Republic fleet" when they're talking about attacking Death Star 3.0, it's because it's supposed to have been wiped out. This conveniently brings the star wars universe back exactly where it started 40 years ago. Surprise!

This handled so incredibly poorly in the movie, after watching it I wasn't even sure who had been attacked or why. I figured it was just some random target of convenience, a 9/11 style attack on civilians. Little did I realize how convenient it was.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

what's spoiler protocol now?

Luke is a passive aggressive pussy. Oh waaaaaah I'm running away because my nephew is a dick, NOCURR if the galaxy needs me...but wait, I'll leave a map "just in case" they want me to come back.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  12. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

And what do you think Supreme Lord is gonna do when he finds out Kylo was out banging Jabba all over Brooklyn when he should have been training?

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

if the new Republic was that stupid to place their entire fleet on five or six planets so spatially close that you could see all of them blow up in the night sky, then the new Republic doesn't deserve to exist and should be destroyed.

To be honest, I didn't understand how Han and company could see all of those planets blowup in the sky. Those are like, light years away from each other, right? How long would it take for Mars to blowup and for us to see it?

14. Louys

Louys Senior member

That moment when you walk out of theater trying to convince yourself it wasn't as bad as it actually was.

15. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    What if the reason why Rey was so strong was because of all the green packets of shit she ate that turned out to be Yoda's poop?