1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

DAFUQ is a spider tank?

Fraggle-stick car?

2. Nil

Nil Senior member

Don't forget Kylo Ren was shot in the stomach/hip by Chewie with his bowcaster. That thing was sending Stormtroopers flying like they were bowling pins. He wasn't in top form at all, as evidenced by all the blood leaking out of him during the initial moments of his confrontation with Finn and Rey.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  3. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Darth Maul's upper body mounted to a robotic spider lower body. It was in the cartoon.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I've not watched it either but read up enough about what happened to Maul to give you the Cliff's Notes. Survived being cut in two using the dark side. Was discovered by an alien race who outfitted him with robotic legs. He was deranged and nearly mad for a while from the whole ordeal. Was later found by his brother and got his sanity back. Also was given normal humanoid looking legs. Both had adventures and plotted revenge against Obi-Wan. Killed his GF and eventually was eventually discovered by a not too happy Palpatine. The brother was killed and Palpatine took Darth Maul away to never be heard of again.

It honestly sounds like Darth Maul fanfic to me.

I also believe an ancient weapon called a "darksaber" was involved. Kind of a reverse lightsaber in form.

That's really all I know. I keeping hearing Clone Wars gets really good towards the end of the 2nd season but I can't bring myself to watch it. It reminds me too much of the prequels.

5. wojt

wojt Senior member

I watched 2 full seasons :embar: i liked some of the episodes but rebels are better imo
    that's pretty much what happened, sad part his return was given green light by Luca$, darth maul surviving is George Lucas going full retard since he made super clear Darth Maul died in TPM.

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I honestly hope they just reboot the prequels after this trilogy. Can't be worse than what Lucas gave us.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jr Mouse

I've thought about this and as much as I would want it to happen it's playing with fire. You are opening the doors to a reboot of the OT too, which would be a disaster. At this point I think it's best to move forward. Not backwards.

1 person likes this.
  8. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Maybe they could just start over. Do we really need Luke Skywalker in the storyline?

I mean, really--do we need Luke Skywalker?

:embar:

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Finn vs. Ren. It would be like me facing a world class fencer. I have some rudimentary understanding of fencing principles, and I'm reasonably confident that in overall hand-to-hand combat training and practice, I have a lot more years in it then any Olympic fencer, but I mean, c'mon, I'd be skewered nearly immediately. Physical strength doesn't matter much when it comes to magical laser weapons. Luke Skywalker, in Empire Strikes back, is only halfway finished his training, and he could kick any stormtroopers ass. Ren is much more advanced than was Luke, and there is no indication that Finn was a standout in any way. In fact, the expedition to Jakku was his first engagement.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nil

Nil Senior member

How confident would you be against a world class fencer that had been shot in the stomach?

11. LA Guy

I've never before in my life felt the desire to be a gender warrior. But the stupidity of some of the criticism of the Rey character sorta makes me want to go get a membership card..

This is a world in which magic space time is regularly used to further the plot, and where a good number of the main characters have magical powers, ffs.

3 people like this.
  12. Jr Mouse

Fok did you see my post in reply to you on Kylo vs Finn:

[/quote]

The biggest thing a lot of people seem to be missing is:

Kylo was by no means a badass like Vader was. He was still in training. A wanna be who idealizes his grandfather but wasn't yet the man he was. Maybe one day Kylo will get there, but in this film he had a ways to go.

Maybe some of you don't like this portrayal but that's what we got in this film. Personally I think it worked well and enjoyed this unique characterization in the universe [/spolier]

13. LA Guy

Dude, if he was still standing, and had a magic sword that cuts anything it touches, not very.

14. LA Guy

The biggest thing a lot of people seem to be missing is:
    Kylo was by no means a badass like Vader was. He was still in training. A wanna be who idealizes his grandfather but wasn't yet the man he was. Maybe one day Kylo will get there, but in this film he had a ways to go.

Maybe some of you don't like this portrayal but that's what we got in this film. Personally I think it worked well and enjoyed this unique characterization in the universe [/spolier][/QUOTE]
    Oh, ha. Just saw it now. I guess that it can be rationalized, unlike some other things in the movie. Isn't the ability to use the lightsaber well somehow tied to the force? In ANH, at least, Obi-wan made a big deal out of that.

1 person likes this.
  15. grundletaint

I would like to introduce Rey to my magic sword

2 people like this.
  16. Jr Mouse

Han used Luke's Lightsaber in ESB. ;)

Kidding aside this at least proves a non force user can turn one on and use it. No reason Finn couldn't at least swing it like a baton. The Force is just what helps Jedi use these weapons so well.

Thing is:

Finn didn't really use the sword all that well. If anything Kylo was toying with him until Finn got in a lucky strike. After that Kylo took over and the fight was over almost immediately.

17. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Weapons are designed to change the game. Change who has the advantage. Strength is important, but it only goes so far. If that were the case, all fencers (and all athletes, for that matter), would just be the biggest strongest people possible. Yet somehow the 2012 Olympic gold medalist in Epee was a 5'9" dude in an event where the average height is probably over 6'. (The silver medalist was 6'4". I'm 5'10", and I feel like a shrimp whenever I go to a fencing tournament with my wife.)

Healthy K.Ren, if he were smart, probably would have kicked Rey's ass just because he would have the ability to overpower her and wear her down, even if she were better technically.

Since we're talking about fencing, I just easily found an example of a gender-mixed tournament where a 5'4" 19-year-old woman came in 2nd out of almost 150 mostly male fencers.

So it's not a huge stretch to think that a woman with street fighting experience with a similar weapon could taken down a seriously injured man with a very rough fighting style. I think the filmmakers made a very deliberate attempt to set this up so it wasn't a huge WTF moment, and they certainly convinced me. So, if you think that this is unrealistic, maybe you're a sexist. Or maybe I'm just a huge feminist and an Uncle Van to my own gender. I don't know.

18. Jr Mouse

The original meaning of Mary Sue comes from fanfic when the author would insert an idolized version of themselves in a story as a type of wish fulfillment. No one honestly believes that JJ crafted Rey to be that of himself, but that's part of the problem. The use of the term has expanded so much over the years that it no longer holds any weight or meaning. People just toss it out these days at strong female characters as a way to demean them. It's become a crude and lazy attempt for neck beards to play PC police.

1 person likes this.
  19. grundletaint

But who would win the decathlon? Bruce or Caitlyn?

I would like to introduce Rey to my decathlon..

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

Donlt forget Ren was also punching himself in the gut wound for y'know, extra motivation. "C'mon, man, you're better that this! Remember your lessons!"

Oy veh.

The thing about Mary Sues is that they're better at eveything that everyone else.

If they had just let Rey have the sword scene as a way to show the force is "strong with this one" then I think people would be loving it. It was her flying the MF out of the gate better than or as good as Solo and then showing him how to tweak it and her escaping the shackles so easily that is pissing people off.

lefty