1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

right right... emo vader as i refer to him...

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

They clearly establish Kylo Ren has a Vader fetish. Why is it scrambling people's brains that Ren would want to emulate the way Vader looked?

This is the actual purpose of the forum - for men to emulate and be seen in styles they've encountered from others on the interwebz.

Whoa. That was meta.

5 people like this.
  3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

She reminded me of Ann Miller's character from Mulholland Drive.

4. wojt

wojt Senior member

They made him a distinct unstable character who is a vader fanboy which is x10 better than making him a new lame Vader. Him removing the mask is very telling; he is not vader for him it's still a costume because he is torn and still very much in conflict between the light and the dark side of him. That's why his powers are so inconsistent during the movie he can go from stopping blast in midair to getting wounded by a novice like Finn or Rey. He pretty much lacks focus in same way as Luke did in ESB. Imo character is brilliant agreat villian with distinct character and not all black and white. I love TOT but I gotta give them some credit for characters of Rey and Kylo they are very well made.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I watched the movie last night and I so wanted it to be good. Was it worth my fifteen dollars? Absolutely, but this movie followed the same instant-gratification objectives that all action and comic book movies follow. There was no development of character - the scavanging girl was the same badass at the beginning of the movie as she was at the end. The defecting stormtrooper had these heavy-handed narrative moments where Darth Jr. had to stop and notice him for his wavering loyalty, only to move on. There was the creature that Han wanted the gang to go see whose attitude and look reminded me of Edna Mode from The Incredibles.

6. Nil

Nil Senior member

I never liked Ewoks but I accepted them as a small fault in an otherwise masterful original trilogy. It wasn't until the prequels came out and I saw them as the first sign that Lucas left to his own ideas was a moron only interested in toys and CGI. Now I hate them.

2 people like this.
  7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i think you are overthinking this...

8. Nil

Nil Senior member

As for what I thought of this movie: awesome. I was enthralled the entire time. It was a basically a remake/homage to ANH, but I think that was a smart idea by JJ Abrams. I loved the original trilogy growing up but I don't think I've seen them since the prequels came out as those left such a bad taste in my mouth. TFA entirely reboots the feeling of the franchise and let's fans know that yes, this is motherfucking Star Wars.

4 people like this.
  9. lefty

lefty Senior member

That may have been the intention. What came across however, was a poorly written and badly acted character. Ren went from a potential badass to annoying bitch. A deeply flawed and conflicted villain is fine as long as he still can present a threat to the protagonists, but here he really didn't seem all that difficult to deal with by anyone.

lefty

10. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I'm brain farting. What does TOT stand for?

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

the Original Trilogy

12. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

[​IMG]
    from opening day in 77 some good pants

2 people like this.
  13. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

A lot of dudes in that picture. TFA had a decent amount of women in the theaters when I went to see it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    The female audience for Star Wars is actually fairly large. I suspect it will grow once word of mouth gets out who the real main hero of this movie is.

15. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

16. Suntory

Suntory Senior member

If you are supreme you can wear what you want.
    Where was Warwrick Davis?

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This. There was quite a bit I enjoyed about the movie, but Ren was a low point, both in the writing and the acting.
    I would have much preferred the kid from the VW commercial be Vader 2.0.

LIKE YOUR -- oh, never mind. Used that one already today.

1 person likes this.
  18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

The original Thrawn trilogy was actually pretty good as I recall. I read them just before or around the time the Tie Fighter game came out and loved that he was featured in it.

19. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    It was the first and best of the EU.

1 person likes this.
  20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

There were actually some others written in the '80s. Han Solo at Star's End? I think. There was also a record I had featuring C3PO and R2D2, fighting evil robots or something. It's been awhile.

EDIT -

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Han_Solo_at_Stars'_End

[​IMG]

Lolz, that was the exact cover the copy I read had.