1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Luke looked great in the end but I'm interested in where they will take his character. His expression when he saw Rey makes me believe they won't do a straight Yoda training arc.

2. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

I thought the movie was pretty good. Obviously not the most ground-breaking of cinematic experiences, but it was a very solid action/adventure movie with interesting characters and lots of lore for me to nerd out on. I am pleased.

One or two things that stood out to me. I didn't see a lot of the old alien races in the cantina or Jakka. The PT and OT had certain races like greedo-whatevers or twi'leks that appeared throughout the movies and gave them a sense of continuity. I guess this sequel takes place in a different part of the galaxy, but I kind of expected there to be more familiar races mixed in with what was there. Not a big gripe, just kind of odd.

Also, I was slightly let down by the starships. Basically just tarted-up X-wings, Ties, and Star Destroyers. I understand if JJ wanted to focus less on the ships, but it seems odd that there was so little change from the OT ships. I mean, the PT had quite a few ship designs. The OT had X, Y, A, B-wings several frigates, several Tie variants, three classes of Star Destroyer, and other local ships (twin cloud-cars, etc). This movie had about three ships total, and they looked nearly the same as the OT. In 30 years, nobody had developed a new platform? Again, not a big deal, but I was looking forward to some new hardware.

Who's this Maz character? Is she actually 1000 years old, or was that just Han's hyperbole? Seems like someone older than Yoda would be a pretty big deal.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

1 person likes this.
  4. gort

gort Senior member

The pub owner lady's eyeballs looked like two buttholes.

5. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

It probably wasn't finished when the trailer was cut.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

^ That character was all I could think of whenever Kylo Ren's mask came off. And when the mask was on I thought he sounded like Javier Bardem plugging his nose.

Abrams' first Star Trek was a paint-by-numbers crowd-pleaser in every respect, but it was enjoyable and it had heart.

This was relentlessly subpar, unimaginative and unexciting -- more like Star Trek Into Darkness.

As was the case with Jurassic World, any potential it once had was neutered by the take-no-risks approach of brazenly cloning earlier films without any freshness of vision whatsoever ("amping up the lightsaber effects" doesn't really qualify). At least Lucas's prequels showed us things we hadn't seen before; there was none of that here.

Abrams made the worst Mission Impossible film, and this an equally disappointing instalment of Star Wars. It's still better than The Phantom Menace, but what is that worth?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. Jr Mouse

Theory time. This isn't new speculation but I thought it might generate some interesting conversation.

Everyone is of course speculating that Rey is a Skywalker and Luke's child. If this is the case then I suspect we will find out she was being trained at the school when the attack happened. Either PTSD caused her to suppress the memories of the event or Luke used the Force to make her forget before placing her in hiding. It would certainly explain why she managed to use the Force and a lightsaber so well in the film.

The biggest issue with this is why Han and Leia wouldn't recognize her. Even if she was 10 years younger when they last saw her you would think they would realize who she is. In the least Leia would sense it.

9. Jr Mouse

1 person likes this.
  10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Does it really count as speculating

if they basically said it in the trailer? It would be a really weird thing for Luke to say, "The force runs strong in my family, blah blah blah, you have it too" if he was talking to someone who wasn't related to him? Presumably they saved it for the next movie as a hook.

Also, from the movie you get the impression that Kylo recognizes her. I can't claim to have thought this one up, but maybe he's the only one who knows she's still alive because everyone else thinks he killed her.

11. Jr Mouse

Well it's speculation until it's been confirmed. I do agree with you that all signs are pointing to it being true and I picked up on the fact that Kylo seemed to know her too.

1 person likes this.
  12. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

Yeah, there has to be something deeper going on when you try to hand a guy a lightsaber and he just intensely stares at you for 3 minutes.

13. Jr Mouse

They are saying it made around 238 million on opening weekend. Beat out Jurassic World for the highest grossing weekend not adjusted for inflation.

14. wojt

wojt Senior member

ps. who else thinks Adam Driver and the girl did a great job? They were believable and Kylo totally outclassed young Anakin, but that's maybe because he didn't had any lines about coarseness of sand.

Jr Mouse your theory makes a lot of sense, let's hope they don't mess it up in next movie. However I think i'd be more content with 100% new characters than compressing the universe to few characters and their affiliates.

1 person likes this.
  15. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

True, original characters are good. However, not having any familiar faces makes the movie lose touch with the OT. Star wars is a 9-part saga about a handful of characters following the story of the rise and fall of the Empire. Ditching all the characters 2/3 of the way through would be a little jarring and break up the cohesiveness of the saga.

1 person likes this.
  16. otc

otc Senior member

I thought both were great.

Adam Driver definitely brought a bit of himself to the character, but I think it worked well.

As the weird misfit kid of Han Solo, he works well. Anakin being a whiny brat in the prequels was particularly odd given his initial pre-jedi upbringing did not fit with his later brattyness.

But Adam Driver's performance pretty well fits what I might expect from Han's kid. Han's probably not the world's best father, and being the kid of Han and Leia means growing up revered by many around you. Then add being one of the first jedi to be trained since the fall of the empire and...you get Adam Driver's portrayal. You get him punching himself in his wound, incredulous that the mighty grandson of Vader could fall victim to such a blow (and ditto for taking the girl and leaving behind the droid because of his confidence that he can pull it from her mind).

He keeps pulling off his mask because it is a costume. Vader's mask was a part of him--Kylo Ren is clearly not supposed to be sure who he is.

6 people like this.
  17. Jr Mouse

More thoughts on Kylo.

I'm wondering if Kylo's turn will be tied into the warning Yoda gave Luke about leaving and not completing his training. Sure he was a Jedi at the end of ROTJ but his training was left incomplete. Perhaps this lack of knowledge is what kept him from predicting and preventing Ben Solo's turn.

Luke would have been training all his students with incomplete training.

That's assuming that the Force ghosts didn't stick around and provide him more insight into being a Jedi after ROTJ.

18. Jr Mouse

Also been thinking more about Snoke. It's not really a spoiler to say that his design just didn't work for me. I asked before but I still can't think of one single reason he had to be mo-cap other than they really wanted to hire that guy to do mo-cap work for the film.

Does anyone have theories on who he really is? I know many are speculating it's a Wizard of Oz bit and we will eventually see the true "man behind the curtain" in a future film. That could work well and explain the need to make him CGI.

2 people like this.
  19. Jr Mouse

Saddest death in the movie.

[​IMG]

RIP you beautiful bastard. FN-B4D455, you were the hero this movie deserved.

1 person likes this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Kind of like Snape.
    [/SPOILER]