• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Heavyweight Tees Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's popular heavyweight tees are now restocked, in three styles, so there is something for every style. They are available in three classic colors: white, black, and the heather grey featured here.. These high quality tees are staples that work in every seasons. Check them out here here

If you have any questions for the designer, please, he is a valued and active member and sponsor of the community, and can be found here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... and I still think it's great ...
1000001736-gif.2187293

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Initial reactions to the first few episode of The Acolyte are coming out, so far pretty positive.

I for one am looking forward it. While still holding out, that is could Mando Season 1 (👍👍), or Book of Boba Fett (👎👎)

Interest further piqued by this: "No one is good, no one is bad, anyone can live, anyone can die, it’s just a cool story anyone can jump right into."

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“I was the one who really knew what Star Wars was…who actually knew this world, because there’s a lot to it. The Force, for example, nobody understood the Force,” Lucas told French publication Brut in an interview at the Cannes Film Festival. “When they started other ones after I sold the company, a lot of the ideas that were in [the original] sort of got lost."

Oh, f*ck all the way off. No one understood it because it was some half-assed mumbo jumbo you made up back in the 70s, not some detailed world building. Then you changed the "ideas" of Star Wars every time a new whim hit, forcing everyone around you to backfill excuses and explanations. Go count your billions and shut the hell up.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“I was the one who really knew what Star Wars was…who actually knew this world, because there’s a lot to it. The Force, for example, nobody understood the Force,” Lucas told French publication Brut in an interview at the Cannes Film Festival. “When they started other ones after I sold the company, a lot of the ideas that were in [the original] sort of got lost."

Oh, f*ck all the way off. No one understood it because it was some half-assed mumbo jumbo you made up back in the 70s, not some detailed world building. Then you changed the "ideas" of Star Wars every time a new whim hit, forcing everyone around you to backfill excuses and explanations. Go count your billions and shut the hell up.

The guy who decided quantify midichlorians was good worldbuilding is going to lecture other moviemakers about not understanding the Force. Sigh.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also having a brother and sister making out like they were lovers wasn't really good world building either...
Or it was expert level misdirection!

OK not really...but they had no reason to believe they were related at that point...and she mostly just kisses him to annoy Han

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lucas was making most of it up as he went along making the films. Which is fine considering how great the OT turned out.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lucas was making most of it up as he went along making the films. Which is fine considering how great the OT turned out.

SW continuity and retcon debacles aside, I think we often malign as 'making it up as you go' as being inherently worse than having it all planned out from the get go but there are plenty of examples where writing as you go works out great (Breaking Bad) and other examples of where pre-planned plots fall apart pretty fast (Game of Thrones).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SW continuity and retcon debacles aside, I think we often malign as 'making it up as you go' as being inherently worse than having it all planned out from the get go but there are plenty of examples where writing as you go works out great (Breaking Bad) and other examples of where pre-planned plots fall apart pretty fast (Game of Thrones).

100% agreed.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOT isn't a great example of that. The show ran out of source material around seasons 5-6, depending on specific storyline. In theory, the showrunners got a broad overview of the plan from the author, but considering his initial pitch to the publisher was for a trilogy where Jon Snow married Arya Stark and became king, that's not worth a lot.

They very much were making it up as they went for the last couple of years.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOT isn't a great example of that. The show ran out of source material around seasons 5-6, depending on specific storyline. In theory, the showrunners got a broad overview of the plan from the author, but considering his initial pitch to the publisher was for a trilogy where Jon Snow married Arya Stark and became king, that's not worth a lot.

They very much were making it up as they went for the last couple of years.

Tbf I don't think GRRM has any idea what to do with the story either.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these opening paragraphs of The Digital it’s review of the Andor Blu Ray sum up my feelings than I ever could.

As the franchise’s very first target audience, Generation X tends to have a complicated relationship with Star Wars. Though an instant classic upon its debut in 1977, George Lucas’ original installment is often dismissed as a children’s film. But that description simply doesn’t bear scrutiny. Sure, its archetypal “hero’s journey” was inspired by Flash Gordon matinee serials, and two of its central characters were intended as bumbling comic relief. But the film’s young protagonist experiences the murder of both his adopted parents and his newfound mentor, even as its female lead endures torture. An entire planet’s worth of innocent living beings are wiped out in a casual but calculated act of genocide, and the film’s anti-hero shoots a man in cold blood in an obvious kill-or-be-killed situation. These are hardly the hijinks of the Apple Dumpling Gang.

After a thrilling climax—and three years of waiting virtually in the dark—Irvin Kershner’s 1980 sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, proved an even darker experience as the Empire’s retribution came swiftly. Mysteries were revealed and an unlikely romance blossomed, but the film’s heroes essentially had their asses handed to them from start to finish. A beloved character was captured, fate unknown. The young protagonist gained new wisdom, but also uncovered a terrible secret: the architect of all his misery—the man who’d just cut off his hand—was his own father. This was followed by yet another three year wait for the audience to find resolution. Now... none of this was exactly grindhouse material or otherwise hard boiled. Both films delivered adventure and wide-eyed wonder; they were just plain fun. But to call Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back childish is a misnomer. It would be more accurate to say that they were made for the child in everyone, a fact borne out by the broad demographics of the eager theatergoers who lined up in droves to see them.

But here’s the thing: implicit in the progression from that first film to the second was the promise that the Star Wars franchise would continue to grow in complexity and maturity with its audience. Yet that didn’t happen. Richard Marquand’s Return of the Jedi in 1983 was a regression on every front. In 1997, Lucas proved that he’d failed to understand his creation in the same way his audience did by blunting all three films for his cherished Special Editions.

Now though, I’ve got my own youngling and Ive enjoyed watching him get into Star Wars. He’s definitely got his own opinions and has liked some of the movies and show better than others… but overall he’s enjoyed most of this new era of Star Wars, that in and of itself it fun to watch.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think these opening paragraphs of The Digital it’s review of the Andor Blu Ray sum up my feelings than I ever could.

As the franchise’s very first target audience, Generation X tends to have a complicated relationship with Star Wars. Though an instant classic upon its debut in 1977, George Lucas’ original installment is often dismissed as a children’s film. But that description simply doesn’t bear scrutiny. Sure, its archetypal “hero’s journey” was inspired by Flash Gordon matinee serials, and two of its central characters were intended as bumbling comic relief. But the film’s young protagonist experiences the murder of both his adopted parents and his newfound mentor, even as its female lead endures torture. An entire planet’s worth of innocent living beings are wiped out in a casual but calculated act of genocide, and the film’s anti-hero shoots a man in cold blood in an obvious kill-or-be-killed situation. These are hardly the hijinks of the Apple Dumpling Gang.

After a thrilling climax—and three years of waiting virtually in the dark—Irvin Kershner’s 1980 sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, proved an even darker experience as the Empire’s retribution came swiftly. Mysteries were revealed and an unlikely romance blossomed, but the film’s heroes essentially had their asses handed to them from start to finish. A beloved character was captured, fate unknown. The young protagonist gained new wisdom, but also uncovered a terrible secret: the architect of all his misery—the man who’d just cut off his hand—was his own father. This was followed by yet another three year wait for the audience to find resolution. Now... none of this was exactly grindhouse material or otherwise hard boiled. Both films delivered adventure and wide-eyed wonder; they were just plain fun. But to call Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back childish is a misnomer. It would be more accurate to say that they were made for the child in everyone, a fact borne out by the broad demographics of the eager theatergoers who lined up in droves to see them.

But here’s the thing: implicit in the progression from that first film to the second was the promise that the Star Wars franchise would continue to grow in complexity and maturity with its audience. Yet that didn’t happen. Richard Marquand’s Return of the Jedi in 1983 was a regression on every front. In 1997, Lucas proved that he’d failed to understand his creation in the same way his audience did by blunting all three films for his cherished Special Editions.

Now though, I’ve got my own youngling and Ive enjoyed watching him get into Star Wars. He’s definitely got his own opinions and has liked some of the movies and show better than others… but overall he’s enjoyed most of this new era of Star Wars, that in and of itself it fun to watch.
Wow, that was a superb analysis. I took my son to the Special Editions when they were released just before the Prequels. He was fairly young and I had to sit sideways with my leg over the edge of his seat as it kept folding him up. Luckily he cemented on the originals and we discussed the drawbacks of the Special Editions (mostly while the Death Star attack was a bit better Han clearly shot first).

He liked the prequels but though Jar Jar and some of the other cutesy stuff was nonsensical.

He still refuses to see anything by Rian Johnson after the Last Jedi debacle.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
She’s right.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lediphin