• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the sequels just had bad writing, heavily driven by new ownership. Big corporate and sci-fi are generally keen to include politically progressive themes, but I consider their inclusion incidental to the bad writing - just as Lando being a Black leader was incidental to my enjoyment of ESB.
+1. The problem with the sequels was that they were cobbled together in a boardroom and didn't have a cohesive or compelling story to tell. Disney Star Wars is about as anodyne as you can get, because Disney created it to try to appeal to as many people as possible to make money and sell toys. Everything people don't like about it pretty much stems from there.

The diversity of the cast isn't "political" (unless you just have a bias against non-white/non-male characters...), the problem with that they forgot that those characters need to be interesting. They would have been just as uninteresting if they were white.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah this was a big miss for me too, though perhaps in a slightly different way. In TLJ, the story was still "Anybody can be a Jedi - even a nobody from Jakku". Then ROS re-directs it to "just kidding she was a Palpatine all along lol". Gave me flashbacks to midichlorians

ROS has its moments but it’s the only one of the ST I don’t care far. It felt like Disney overreacted to the online vocal mob and tried to pander to everything they said they wanted. I remember thinking it felt like they had an intern take notes from SW forums regarding complaints about TLJ. For all the good it did them as the same online mob still hated it.

TLJ had a solid vision and a story to tell. I never felt it disregarded the narrative from TFA as some did. The message of "anybody can be a hero regardless of where you come from" was perfect for younger audiences. It is after all a franchise meant for children.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still maintain that the original trilogy chatater development was almost as lazy as the reboots, and the character development was just as thin. When Luke's uncle and aunt are murdered, it didn't register any emotion reaction for me but was supposed to be a major part of Luke's character.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, some of the best character development in movies IMO are Up, Lion and Inside Out. R1 and Andor were easily the best characters developed in the live action universe.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still maintain that the original trilogy chatater development was almost as lazy as the reboots, and the character development was just as thin. When Luke's uncle and aunt are murdered, it didn't register any emotion reaction for me but was supposed to be a major part of Luke's character.

It did seem strange to me that Luke seemed pretty much unfazed by the death of his adoptive parents. Luke moped for longer after Obi Wan sacrificed himself ("I can't believe he's gone"), and he was just some old weirdo that he knew for a few days?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I challenge anyone to go back and watch E4. The 2 things that really jumped out to me when i rewatched a few years ago were:

1. The action sequences really held up and didn't look like 40 year old special effects.
2. Luke is a paper thin character, and the character development of almost all of the characters is extremely rushed and not great.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love that no one ever called Luke a Gary-sue for being able to fly an X-Wing in combat with zero training. He made one comment about using a T-16 to kill womb rats and the audience is supposed to believe he's an ace pilot.

Oh wait... We were all kids at the time and didn't care. I wonder if there is a lesson to be learned here. :wink:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that no one ever called Luke a Gary-sue for being able to fly an X-Wing in combat with zero training. He made one comment about using a T-16 to kill womb rats and the audience is supposed to believe he's an ace pilot.

Oh wait... We were all kids at the time and didn't care. I wonder if there is a lesson to be learned here. :wink:
I was 11 when Ep4 came out and it was magical and without fault. It all made perfect sense.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was 11 when Ep4 came out and it was magical and without fault. It all made perfect sense.
I was 13 when ROTJ came out and I remember walking out of the theater remarking to a friend how, amazingly, they had managed to cover every. single. plot point from the entire trilogy in wrapping up the story. LOL

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely can relate. I was going into high-school when the prequels started coming out. I really enjoyed them then. Perhaps it is better to not look a gift horse in the mouth especially after the fact.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was 13 when ROTJ came out and I remember walking out of the theater remarking to a friend how, amazingly, they had managed to cover every. single. plot point from the entire trilogy in wrapping up the story. LOL
I was seriously miffed at the stupid Ewoks.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I never minded the Ewoks. I'd take a whole movie about them before ever seeing Jar-Jar on screen again.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

Despite some good moments like the space battle and meeting with the Emperor, ROTJ is definitely not my favorite part of the trilogy.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because of the force or something like that

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm more bothered by how Padme didn't get shot at all during the closing act of episode 2. A whole bunch of lightsaber wielding jedi got mowed down, but a plucky senator with a blaster gets out pretty much unscathed? tf outta here...

Unscathed?? She had the middle of her shirt ripped off by some SW Galaxy tiger thing! ;)

I challenge anyone to go back and watch E4. The 2 things that really jumped out to me when i rewatched a few years ago were:

1. The action sequences really held up and didn't look like 40 year old special effects.
2. Luke is a paper thin character, and the character development of almost all of the characters is extremely rushed and not great.

I recently took two of my kids to see a revival in a theater (it was the SE of course, more on the later)

To your point on #1, yes, wholeheartedly yes. Although, to me, the SE additions really stick out, and not in a good way. Again, SE complaint, the Jabba scene really doesn't work for the story, or the pacing, almost like a retread of the Greedo scene and a stutter step pacing wise.

Overall, story, pacing and editing still hold up. Was a treat to see on the big screen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads