• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ford being interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live and asked about Ep7. I know he's doing PR, but you can't tell me he doesn't come across completely genuine here. The man likes the finished product.

My internet is out at home. On iPhone. Can someone embed? :)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey, my loathing of Lucas is intense, but it's for the way he's repeatedly sodomized the original three movies. His foresight and/or luck at creating a billion dollar collectibles industry is pretty ******* cool.

5* post.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got chu.

0.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey, my loathing of Lucas is intense, but it's for the way he's repeatedly sodomized the original three movies. His foresight and/or luck at creating a billion dollar collectibles industry is pretty ******* cool.

Another way at looking at this topic is that at the end of the day someone was going to create, sell and profit from all those toys. If Lucas hadn't signed the deal he did, it would have been FOX. The revenue generated from the massive collectible industry he created helped fund Lucasfilm and many of the projects he was involved in over the years. The film and special effects landscape wouldn't be the same today if things had gone differently.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saturday night after the Halloween kids stopped showing up my wife and son and I sat down and watched Episode IV. Last night we followed that up with The Empire Strikes Back. I was pleased with how well these original movies have held up. It was also kind of fun to point out the places I caught (I'm sure I missed a few) where scenes and effects had been added--some of them were pretty obvious and sort of jarring, while others were okay.

Anyway: good times. I am thinking we'll breeze through the prequels before wrapping around to watch Return of the Jedi. I once read that that was an interesting order to watch the SW movies, so I will see what I think. :nodding:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's called Machete Order and typically you skip Episode 1.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What will I do without my dose of Li'l Ani?

You'll be a happier man.

Now, if only we could also improve the dialogue in the prequels and get rid of Jar Jar Binks, everything would be good.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know some people choose not to skip Episode 1, but my understanding is you don't watch it in true Machete Order.

Personally I dislike all the prequels so wouldn't watch the series in the order.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True machete skips episode one.

They have a pretty solid explanation for why ...but basically episode one sucks AND it has zero relevance to the rest of the story.
- Totally different villian
- Totally different Anakin
- There is not a single awkward reference to ep1 in the other movies...everything is either thoroughly explained in 2 or 3, or is the kind of irrelevant thing that movies say all of the time without actually expecting you to see it (e.g. first day of school, character's say "hey remember when we did XYZ over the summer?").

If you took a first time watcher through the movies...and simply didn't mention episode one...they probably wouldn't notice anything was missing.

Last edited:

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a hardcore SW fan, so ep1 really didn't bother me. It's nice having a little back story to young Anakin being a skilled pilot and all.

As for The Force Awakens, the only thing I can't say I'm all too excited about is the combat that doesn't involve vehicles. Storm troopers gonna keep on missing, that's a given, but light saber duels never looked good outside of the ones involving Yoda. Always felt any form of melee combat was a weak part of Hollywood in general.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You know, that also works for episodes 2 and 3.

Eh...that only works for them because they are prequels. The original movies were made to stand alone.

It is a testament to how worthless episode one is that you don't even require the first movie of a trilogy to fully understand what is going on in the rest of it. You can't jump in and watch ep3 without knowing what went on in ep2 and not be confused. And you certainly can't just hop in and watch ROTJ without having seen the others.

The prequels weren't great, but they do exist, and they do tell a licensed, canonized piece of the story. For all we know, there will be important references to them in Ep7 (I sure hope not though).

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only downside of skipping Ep1 entirely is then we don't get to see Darth Maul. But I agree that you can skip Ep1 without doing much damage to the storyline at all.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Darth Maul was always highly overrated even if the light saber battle at the end was cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads