• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really don't know why I bother sometimes... my brief (re)review of The Phantom Menace is only two pages back: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ontain-spoilers.321243/page-358#post-10136768

The racism is not the product of some kind of weird imagination as @wojt would have you believe. It's not just Jar-Jar, who was such a disliked addition that Lucas abandoned his own plans for the character and reduced him to a bit part; it's his entire dim, sub-aquatic people. It's also the Trade Federation, who are pathetic, treacherous schemers, and talk like a racist stereotype of East Asian people (Chinese, Japanese, hard to tell - anyway, they all look the same, amirite?). It's also the avaricious, slave-owning Toydarian with his (wink-wink) huge proboscis, and not-at-all stereotype Jewish accent.

In short, just about any alien race of consequence in the film is a racial stereotype. It's a consequence at least partly of Lucas's decision to have them speak in English, instead of using subtitles for imaginary languages as in the original trilogy. No-one thinks Wookies or Jawas are racist stereotypes, right? Imagine if Lucas had had Chewbacca speak English with a 'hilarious' Jamaican accent or something... I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be thinking of Star Wars in the same way.

I haven't seen it 15 years, but I fondly remember a re-edit of the phantom menance that exploits this to pretty good effect.

They recut the audio on all of the alien races and use subtitles instead. Combine that with some deleted scenes and editing and they take the film to a much darker and better place.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course the later Lucas digital additions are annoying and pointless like all of his messing about, and add nothing to the film, particularly the laughable Jabba the Hutt sequence in which he appears to change size several times - but it's interesting that the one thing he didn't do was the go in and edit for continuity.

Bro--gotta go grab Harmy's Despecialized Editions. It is the most painstaking restoration of the original trilogy that you can get. All of the video and audio quality of a modern bluray release, but without any of the special edition junk.

These aren't 100% quality, but it is a lot easier to download some files from a Google drive than go find the right torrents:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's his entire dim, sub-aquatic people. It's also the Trade Federation, who are pathetic, treacherous schemers, and talk like a racist stereotype of East Asian people (Chinese, Japanese, hard to tell - anyway, they all look the same, amirite?). It's also the avaricious, slave-owning Toydarian with his (wink-wink) huge proboscis, and not-at-all stereotype Jewish accent.

Oh okay I got you. Probably wasn't paying attention enough to notice anything about those characters/races you mention because I don't remember any of that.

When I get bored during a movie, I tend to tune it out, start drinking, talking to someone next to me, etc. So I must have missed all that. Like how I 'watched' Star Trek Beyond and still have no idea what the movie was about lol

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notice how all orks are black? How ferengi are Jewish? If you look deep into these movies you will see patterns that are either not there, patterns that are coincidences(like the fact that top3 ferengi were played by Jews) or resemblenes to some Earth cultures in some ways. Latter is because both stories are centered around humanoids that are really human. For our human mind it is truly difficult to think of something different. Sometimes it is conscious thing - like say Romulans(duh).

Eventually Ferengi are not inferior to humans, neither are Neimodans, neither are Gugans with exception of Jar-jar.

So I wonder were actual racism part enters in to the equation.

Actually both movie franchises often teach us to treat those species like Ferengi fair and without prejudice.

All of this bs comes from purple haired guilt-ridden white people with too much time on their hands.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Notice how all orks are black? How ferengi are Jewish? If you look deep into these movies you will see patterns that are either not there, are coincidences(like the fact that top3 ferengi were played by jews) or resembles some earth culture in some way, because both stories are centered around humanoids that are really human. For our human mind it is truly difficult to think of something different. Sometimes it is conscious thing - like say Romulans(duh).

Eventually Ferengi are not inferior to humans, neither are Neimodans, neither are Gugans with exception of Jar-jar.

So I wonder were actual racism part enters in to the equation.

Actually both movie franchises often teach us to treat those species like Ferengi fair and without prejudice.

All of this bs comes from purple haired guilt-ridden white people with too much time on their hands.

Yeah. True. I think it's a problem when they try to base an alien race off a human civilization, or even give them traits. Understandable, but I can also see how it would seem racist, even if it's not meant to be intentionally.

One of the many reasons I love the Mass Effect videogames so much. All their alien races had no human analogues and were completely their own thing.

Except for the Krogan...they def ripped off the Klingons there, but still Klingons aren't human so I don't count that lol

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Klingon can be easily constructed as some honor based warrior run society like feudal Japan, Mongols, Vikings

Klingon notion of warrior honor is very human concept, sort of like Dorthaki in GOT

It's hard to escape those comparison because you still operate with human cultural concepts

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damn it, I'm going to refrain from posting more replies because this is supposed to be about Star Wars lol sorry

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn it, I'm going to refrain from posting more replies because this is supposed to be about Star Wars lol sorry

though thanks for reminder, I still have to watch DS9 and play MO :embar:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
he defeated some of the evil guys in the movie, but he sucked like most characters due to mediocre dialogues

in other news StarWars racism is one thing, but it's still better than what Deep Space 9 did to Jews:

View attachment 1366795

I take this is your favourite series? Hitler would be proud
Don’t forget Watto, the hook-nosed merchant with the Mediterranean accent whose greed was stronger than the Force.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
though thanks for reminder, I still have to watch DS9 and play MO :embar:

latest

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget Watto, the hook-nosed merchant with the Mediterranean accent whose greed was stronger than the Force.

Must be loved child of these greek-jewish couple from My Big Fat Greek Wedding

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because I can....live with it.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
YOU'RE TEARING ME APARRTTTTTTTTT, FINN! !!!!

9vjyy5pln6r41.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads