1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

The music in all the star wars movies is good. I went to a symphony production of a bunch of John Williams music, and he has subtly working in themes all along. I look forward to the article.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

The only real criticism I have of the movie is when they try to get too witty/cutesy with the script, like trying to be a Marvel movie. Just seemed too tryhard and out of place

3. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

upload_2018-1-7_7-1-42.png

lefty

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I'm not sure Alien had any direct influence on the scene in question anymore then 2001 did. The influence there was fairly broad in the way that most modern Sci-Fi films take from the greats.

The scene in question was a specific mix of something happening visually on screen and a sudden dramatic lack of audio. I'm sure the makers of the film would claim its influence came from any number of anime before making a direct call back to Alien as inspiration.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

5. lefty

Jr., it was a joke.

But to say that the sound design of 2001 had no influence on every subsequent serious space movie is silly. I was there at early '70s screenings. The silence was profoundly moving, that is, to other than the people who yelled "sound!" at the projectionist. (Those were the days you could yell at a projectionist. My favourite was "rack, you jive turkey!".)

lefty

6. Jr Mouse

I missed the joke.

2001 has highly influenced generations of Sci-Fi films. My post acknowledged that. I just pointed out the influence there was broad instead of more direct like in the case of anime with the scene we are talking about.

Love the color you add to the stories of seeing these films at the time.

7. lefty

It's the only good part about being old. And this:

[​IMG]
    lefty

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Distinguished Member

I may have to watch some classic anime to fill in some gaps in my viewing, then. It’s really bugging me I can’t come up with examples from the movies I’ve seen. (Firefly? Saving Private Ryan [and subsequent films] used silence to good, disorienting effect, but in a different way]).

Speaking of Firefly, I think as that earlier video showed, the jokes are there primarily to break up the darkness of the series and to keep the tone more even for all audiences (and to maintain the feel of the originals). It makes me think of Whedon, I guess, because he’s really great at it (esp in his television shows).

9. Jr Mouse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Firefly didn't so much use silence as an effect to add punch to a scene as it did a backdrop of how the show handled space. Much like 2001, they made the creative decision to have scenes in space lack sound.

They muddied the waters some with Serenity (the movie) as there were scenes in a planet's upper atmosphere that had sound when the show would have stayed consistent and kept silence. I believe it was a concession they made to keep the movie studio executives happy.

Speaking of Firefly, why the Hell is it that every other show seems to be getting a revival these days and no one can seem to bring it back? I'd kill for that show to return and find a place on Netflix or Amazon. :satisfied:

10. VaderDave

VaderDave Distinguished Member

Battlestar Galactica often used silence in the midst of a dramatic (usually catastrophic) moment in space.

11. lefty

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Harpo’s shorcut fake spin in that scene is one of the best moments in movie acting history.

13. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member

just stumbled upon this video by accident :lol:
    knew almost every song :embar:

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I found the version for wojt:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/entertainment/last-jedi-mra-fan-edit-women/

15. wojt

wojt Distinguished Member