• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, you are all such bigots. You and your narrow minded human heterosexuality. When are the movies going to show the full spectrum of alien relationships?

You've got to look at Guardians of the Galaxy if you want some inter-species loving.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maz clearly had a thing for Chewie. Maybe they will expand on that in future films. :D

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got to look at Guardians of the Galaxy if you want some inter-species loving. 

Meanwhile, 50 years ago, Kirk is not amused that all his diplomatic work for interspecies relationships has went unnoticed.

capt-kirk_yellowCU-001_1196284873.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Uh guys...anyone else's city being taken over by the First Order?

Z3k6Tue.jpg

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those images are not showing for me. :confused:

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the writer of episode 8 or 9 decide to make Poe gay even if it was not originally part of the plan, that's not ok?

Gay people exist. I wouldn't have an issue with it at all even if I doubt it's going to happen in one of the core films.

EDIT: In Poe's case he wasn't even supposed to survive the crash until JJ changed plans while shooting because he liked the character so much.

Remember, Star Wars occurred a long time ago, and there was a great deal of social pressure back then.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the movie ever explain what the role is of the Resistance? Why does it exist? the New Republic, which is implied as the de facto galactic government and presumably has a fleet of ships (rather than just 12 x wings) should be fighting the First Order?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did the movie ever explain what the role is of the Resistance? Why does it exist? the New Republic, which is implied as the de facto galactic government and presumably has a fleet of ships (rather than just 12 x wings) should be fighting the First Order?

Their role is to resist?

My impression is that the first order was operating on the periphery for decades and the resistance is monitoring them more or less. I don't think there was much conflict between the first order and republic, which is why they were blindsided by the attack.

Either that or the republic is just a bunch of Nancys.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Think of the first order as some terrorist group/rogue nation from the cold war era. Or maybe a less religious Isis.

The republic doesn't like them, but they are staying away from the core systems and they don't want to burn the political capital of their fledgling peace loving democracy on deadly war with dark side zealots.

Instead they secretly fund a resistance group. Maybe they publicly mildly disavow their actions... But their former star general just happens to be leading the troops. From some lines in the movie your can tell that the first order knows the republic is bankrolling the resistance.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I remember correctly, this was discussed quite a few pages back and Jr Mouse or someone linked to a page that had an explanation of the situation. It went something like, "After the events in Return of the Jedi", the Empire was in disarray and various Grand Moffs (or whatever the Imperial governors were called) managed to retain power over their own areas. Much like the chaos that resulted after the US invasion of Iraq, peace and order did not reign and the New Republic did not immediately gain control over the whole galaxy. The area controlled by the First Order is a hold-out from Imperial times and the Resistance is operating within that First Order-controlled area, like a guerrilla movement. The New Republic is supporting the Resistance but is not openly backing them."

Reading the article helped me to better understand the dynamics of the movie, but it also pissed me off a bit. Frankly, I think that a movie should be able to stand on its own, and not require additional reading of extraneous material in order to understand the plot properly.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more I think about the movie - I saw it only two weeks ago - the more I downgrade it. First hour was excellent, the rest was disappointing for me.

@Journeyman thanks, yeah, super annoying that the movie isn't self explanatory. I guess you have to leave room for the toys and book tie-ins, take all the dollars

Also: another JJ Abrams movie with a casual depiction of mass murder, sure, that's following in the trail of Lucas but it would be nice not to inherit all of Lucas' failures.

Still, I'm excited to see what happens next.

Last edited:

IChen

Reaction score

The more I think about the movie - I saw it only two weeks ago - the more I downgrade it. First hour was excellent, the rest was disappointing for me.

@Journeyman thanks, yeah, super annoying that the movie isn't self explanatory. I guess you have to leave room for the toys and book tie-ins, take all the dollars

Also: another JJ Abrams movie with a casual depiction of mass murder, sure, that's following in the trail of Lucas but it would be nice not to inherit all of Lucas' failures.

Still, I'm excited to see what happens next.

Same I really loved the first hour. Exciting and fun to watch. Can't wait to see how they will continue the story

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics