1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

damn 2016

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Too bad about Fisher. Flirty and flinty dame.

The action was okay, but christ I didn't care about anyone. They could have used fewer space battles and a little more here's why you should give a shit about these people. Whittaker delivers the second worst accent of the year. The first was his accent in Arrival.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

It felt like Whittaker had more scenes but they were cut. Seemed like he had much more backstory/arc that the movie showed

1 person likes this.
  4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

There is a book about Galen and Wes's character. It focuses on how Krennic gets them all to help them bills the death Star without knowing what they are doing. I could see how they cut since of the side story of his character.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

6. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

So, I saw the new one after all. Another mistake--what an awful movie.

I liked that they all died at the end. Otherwise:

Half the stuff in the trailers wasn't in the movie. Did they cut 30 minutes out? Could it have been worse than what they left in? What else can I say that hasn't already been said? It's got to be quibbles about the plot and the continuity, because the movie had nothing else to talk about. And boy were the people who wrote this lazy and stupid.

Instead of having the plans "beamed" to her ship, Leia actually had them physically handed to her? And instead of taking them straight to the rebels, she went ahead with the detour to BFE to pick up Jedi Grandpa? In the original movie, going to some out of the way place made sense, as she (presumably) didn't know her cover was blown in the first place.

Director Cape was afraid of Vader when no one else in the military respected him prior to his murdering that admiral and taking over in Empire Strikes Back?

"Someone is accessing the plans!"

"I'll take them myself. Send my troops to secure the beach. I'll want to take a swim afterward."

Instantaneous intergalactic radio transmissions? Space ships effortlessly fighting in atmospheres and easily destroying walkers that were supposed to be invulnerable? Sure would have come in handy a couple movies ago.

The opening crawl to Star Wars said the rebels had just won their first victory against the Empire. Didn't look like it to me. In Star Wars the imperials were worried about the rebels' conventional fleet. Right after it had been wiped out?

Nearly all the fighters we saw get shot down in this movie were shot down by fixed turrets, which the original movies established isn't supposed to happen.

The ramming in space cliche always makes me cringe.

Plus, Darth Vader sounded like Darth Grandpa. Surely someone had to have heard James Earl Jones (try to) talk prior to writing all those long lines for him. Did Vader even say anything half that lengthy in the original movies? If he did I can't remember it. He sounded awful. Then they re-used all kinds of (bad) outtakes from Star Wars, like the rebel pilots. It was really bad. (I am not mentioning the CGI Tarkin because so much has already been said about him. But he was bad, too.).

And Vader could have gotten the plans back if he'd just rushed in instead of standing around in the dark waiting for his big reveal. And since when does Vader go in first, anyway? Certainly he never did it in the original movies. Why did they board the rebel ship in the first place? In the original Star Wars it made sense, as they didn't know who else might have gotten the plans. In this movie they were apparently monitoring the communications continuously and would have known the plans hadn't been sent out.

I don't feel like writing about this POS anymore.

7. edinatlanta

Meaning you won't post here anymore?

Saw it a second time (my mom only goes to see movies on her bday and yesterday is her bday...)

No need to see this film more than twice. Honestly if it didn't have the Star Wars imprimatur I don't think we'd be as kind to the film.

K2SO's oneliners mostly fell flat with this audience and some of his character development didn't make sense.

lefty is correct that none of the characters were developed well or engendered any sort of sympathy. Galen's hologram monologue way too long and a bit too convenient all around.

There desperately needs to be an R-rated Star Wars film.

How they are going to have to pay homage to the original trilogy (either for marketing or plot reasons or whatever) will end up being a massive crutch.

Still enjoyed the film overall.

A few uncategorized questions:

1. Were those Red Guards walking around the trading outpost? They had what appeared to be box-like niqabs and walking staffs.
    2. How much of "Clone Wars" should I watch? I'm bingewatching the first season right now and it's good enough now that I have a greater appreciation of how everything links together.
    3. Is the 03 series good?
    4. I had something else but I forget
    5. There's so many rabbitholes about ancillary Star Wars characters/ships etc that seem fascinating but also intimidating because, like, how much time am I really willing to commit?

8. otc

otc Senior member

9. WSW

WSW Senior member

RIP - 2016 keeps getting worse.

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Fuck off 2016. I can't wait for you to be over.

11. venividivicibj

Was the next one filmed already? Leia was in it

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    She dies and the best you can come up with is a picture of the Holiday Special? Someone at Fox News be trolling.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  13. otc

otc Senior member

Filming wrapped, so she'll be present in one last movie.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  14. venividivicibj

That's good, at least they wont have to do a Paul Walker style CGI in half the scenes

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Went to see the film this afternoon and came out to the news about Carrie Fisher.

Will save thoughts on the film for another moment.

Still shocked.

16. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Wonder how her death may / may not affect the storytelling in VIII and IX.

17. edinatlanta

VIII is in post production so I'd say not at all.

I re-watched A New Hope (the de-specialized version for the first time) yesterday because of the chronology with Rogue One...wow that movie so absurdly good. It reminded me that Empire Strikes Back has worse acting but might be better written. Really nothing I can say about ANH that isn't already said. I'm giving Episode II a rewatch now so I can cylce through the films again (not watching Episode I under less than pain of death) and shit is it bad. Annakin is so rapey. The love story while important goes on too long. His search for Shmi is as one-note as anything else. The aesthetics are all wrong, everything looks dated as shit. And I only have another hour to go.

Knowing what we know now I wonder how people who first saw ANH in theaters (lefty, Man of Kent) would have felt learning about Darth/Luke how mysterious and tantalizing it must've been clearly knowing there's something big connecting them.

1 person likes this.
  18. otc

otc Senior member

Yup, all about skipping episode 1.

Read the webcomic that reimagines it as a role playing game if you really feel like you are missing the content.

19. edinatlanta

20. lefty

lefty Senior member

We were gobsmacked.

lefty