1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Argument 1 - it's against precedent to have girl or minority as superhero/lead character

(now that argument 1 has been proven wrong)

Argument 2 - its lame/no one would believe it

2. wojt

wojt Senior member

you are very good at refuting arguements nobody makes

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Unfortunately there has been little evidence that these movies are driving increased sales for the comics. There has been a lot of debate on this and why it is over the years. I'd say it really boils down to kids not being the target market for comics like they used to be. The stories have grown up over the years with the audiences. Walk into any comic store or convention and you will see far more adults then children. Sales have either been in a decline or flat-line for some time with an occasional bump when the media catches on to a big event.

Do the movies matter more? From a revenue and merchandising standpoint, certainly. The comics will always be important as they are the genesis for the characters and much of the creativity happens with them, but over time one could see the movies having an influence on them more and more.

4. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Spot on analysis. It is not dissimilar to video games. Video games are marketing and made primarily for adults (though they are growing and kids buy lots of them). It used to be we get a lot of movie based video games, but now we're seeing big budget movies based on video games (WoW, Assassin's Creed, etc).

5. wojt

wojt Senior member

games went mainstream good observation, i think a good indication of that is how easy they are now, If someone remembers playing BG1, Gothic, Aliens vs Predator or micromanagment headaches of C&C1 he knows what im talking about ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  6. Jr Mouse

I great example of movies influencing comics was when the first X-Men came out. Suddenly the team in the comics were wearing leather and the designs were largely influenced by the film. You also saw Wolverines' claws start to come out between his knuckles instead of the more traditional way of on top of them. That may seem like a minor thing, but it really irritated many fans.

7. venividivicibj

Argument 1 Ex -

Just on the current page.

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

They even make fun of the spandex uniforms in one of the movies.

9. venividivicibj

Yeah, I think it was wolverine.

10. Jr Mouse

And Joss Whedon's run of Astonishing X-Men had some great bits in it about returning back to it. :D

[​IMG]

Best run on X-Men ever IMO. :slayer:

11. wojt

wojt Senior member

Argument 1 Ex - 

I never made that arguement

take an example, making Hermione black in next Harry Potter serves no practical movie goal if contrast it with mcgregor taking great care to become convincing obi-wan. That is lame. Lame would be replacing Blade with white dude as well. Imeant character that exists aalready.

12. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

But how do your examples fit here? I admit I'm far less informed about this stuff than most of you, but my general understanding was what JRM said above -- the female Thor is a different character, etc. So it's a little different (actually, a lot different) than using a different actor/actress to play a particular role than in the preceding film.

It seems a better analogy to the broader discussion would be if they cast a black kid as some minor Hogwarts student whose ancestry is not specified in the books nor particularly relevant to the character's role in the narrative, and people got all bent out of shape because casting a "random" black actress in the role evidenced and "agenda".

The Kenobi example also seems completely inapt. There, for reasons internal to the narrative, you're portraying the exact same character when he's 50-60 years younger than in the previous film. Completely different situation.

I happened to find MacGregor's performance pretty lame and never really "bought" him as the same person as Gielgud. Intellectually I understood that they were playing the same character at different ages, but the experiences of watching them never really connected. But that's not really germane to the point under discussion . . .

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Bad art. They look old bloated alcoholics.

1 person likes this.
  14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Cyclops looks lame as fuck.

15. wojt

wojt Senior member

it was Alec Guiness lol
    Imo he did fine, dialogues in prequels were bad even Natalie Portaman looked bad. Anyway something about his relationship with anakin seemed off, not sure if actors were not on the same page or it was the writting.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Of course you're right about Guinness, thanks for correcting. Those old white dudes all rook same to me.

1 person likes this.
  17. Graemsay

Graemsay Senior member

Hermione is being played by a black actress in the stage play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

There aren't any plans to film it, although I suspect Warner Bros will get around to it at some point. When they do, I suspect that they'd be after Emma Watson again.

18. wojt

wojt Senior member

cool interview with Mark Hamill, unfortunately didn't shed much light on ep8

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

20. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Senior member

He's just excited people care that he's still alive.