1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Because it wouldn't sell. :p

2. origenesprit

origenesprit Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of anger about that, but they were writing all new characters for SW, whereas for Marvel the most popular established characters are all men, aren't they?

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  3. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

From my youthful memories (I was 6 when Star Wars came out) no kids really wanted to be Luke, even to 6yr olds he wasn't that cool.

4. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

I always wanted to be Han

1 person likes this.
  5. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The thing about Vader's redemption...is that he dies anyways.

Don't really have to deal with all of the consequences of his terrible acts. He has an internal redemption, and then dies. The rest of the universe probably still finds him terrifying and has no idea what happened in the final moments. Heck, even Luke probably still thinks he was an ass.

It is a little different from, say, Jaime Lannister who is somewhat on a path towards redemption, but clearly isn't forgiven (and never will be) by many that he encounters.

1 person likes this.
  6. VaderDave

VaderDave Well-Known Member

All good points. :slayer:

I will be curious to see whether Luke says anything about how he feels about Vader and his legacy in the upcoming movies. From what I read of the new book that's coming out, the big revelation that Vader was Leia's father (between ROTJ and TFA) effectively torpedoed her political career (at least for a while).

7. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

I am the only Disney female lead that ever mattered. Look forward to my live action film, starring Emma Stone as Mulan, whenever that comes out.

For real though, I think Black Widow will eventually get her own movie.

1 person likes this.
  8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I wanted to be Boba Fet

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Dude got bitch slapped by a blind guy and fell into a giant vajaja.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

FTFY

1 person likes this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

could be a lot worse

1 person likes this.
  12. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

such a cool character, such a lame death
    they really dropped the ball on that one

13. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

careful what you wish for

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/5901621/marvels-thor-is-now-a-woman

well in Thor movie Heimdall was black, not that i give a shit about some second rate franchise or the comic as I havent read it, but im pretty sure there were no africans among nordic deities. I don't like these 'forced' racial/gender qoutas, it's lame and distracting. Same when I watch Narcos I prefer his(pablo's) henchmen to be spics not ethanically and gender diverse. So disney 1. is lame in not making new characters and reusing existing ideas 2. pushes an agenda chanigng already establised characters. NOt that it is a super big deal or matter of life and death, but it's somewhat annoying.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  14. Jr Mouse

The female Thor in the comics is Jane Foster who is played by Natalie Portman in the films. I could be wrong, but I doubt they have plans to launch a new franchise with Portman as Thor. My gut is that the actress would not want to go in that direction and her contract with the studio was signed before female Thor ever made an appearance in the comics. Having said that, I could easily see them work in an extended scene into one of the Avengers movies where she temporally uses the hammer to become Thor and save the day in a fight. Would be great fan service.

1 person likes this.
  15. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a black Heimdal or female Thor again?

1 person likes this.
  16. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

the same thing as with whiteslashasian Blade, or Finn being played by white dood in episode8

17. Jr Mouse

You do realize that the Female Thor is a different character then the male one, right? No gender swapping happened there. They had a long standing female character of the Marvel universe, Jane Foster, take up the mantle of Thor. The original Thor is still around and doing other stuff these days.

People like you need to take a step back and look at the big picture instead of getting your panties in a bunch over a perceived onslaught of SJW/Feminism invading fictional stories. These are comic book universes that have been around for decades. Occasionally a hero gets swapped out for a new version of them. There have been many many Green Lanterns, Spider-Men, Bat Men, Captain Americas, Super Men, etc...

The question I want to ask is why do we only see this type of outrage when the creative teams choose different genders or races then the original versions? Where was the concern when Bucky became Cap? No one got worked up about that like can be seen on the internet about Falcon doing the same. The only difference there is race.

BTW, this frog has also been Thor.

[​IMG]

#Froglivesmatter

1 person likes this.
  18. Jr Mouse

Heimdal is such a minor character in a book that's never been Marvel's highest selling title that I can't imagine anyone would care.

19. wojt

wojt Well-Known Member

So it's percieved now, you yourself don't really see any evidence for it happening? Like I said before it's not terribly important matter, i said it was lame. So if anyone gets his panties in the bunch etc and is searching for some frogthor then it's you.

20. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

On a somewhat different note, though raised by the recent discussion on shifts in the comic print universe --
    Are there any good articles or analysis on the relative importance of the current comic book runs on the comic universe? What I am thinking is that the spate of CBMs has been building on a huge fan base and literature, developed years ago when kids and young adults read comic books and then got excited about seeing those stories brought to the screen. How true the movies were (or weren't) to the books mattered. But now it seems like the movies are more important if only because that is where the fan base is. Fewer people read the books and, even for those that do, the books are not the source of the stories, but rather only one of the sources. So to put in the context of the above discussion, "who cares what they do to Thor in the comics, now. It is the movies that matter and they should reflect 70s/80s/90s canon and then run from there." Those are just my thoughts and have little data or analysis to underpin them, so I am wondering if anyone is aware of someone who has done a better job looking at and thinking about the issue.