• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that the Uncanny Vally chart on that wiki-entry includes Zombies.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

You are probably right on Fisher. Drop a few pounds, put on some makeup and she could pull it off. Some kind of royal robes would do a fair amount to cover up an excess body fat.

AND LAY OFF THE DAMN COKE!

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In light of being almost 15 years out from Jar Jar, would it be possible to completely, digitally create a younger Han, Leia, and Luke - thus having Ford, Fisher, and Hamill only do voice acting in the first place? Then the timing of the sequels in relation to ROTJ wouldn't have to matter at all.

:eh:

Closest example is The Dude in the recent Tron movie. Even with all those shadows, it still wasn't quite there.

It would work with a cartoon though. The CN Star Wars shows were pretty good fun.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished the Thrawn Trilogy, it was pretty awesome. Any more recs? I have limited experience (mostly just grabbing random things I find at libraries)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The subsequent Hand of Thrawn "duology" is pretty good too. Zahn essentially revisits Star Wars twenty years later.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think Mark Hamill got into a car crash early in his career which scared his face up, so he went into voice acting. Plus if he stayed in video acting I'm sure it would have been rough since he would forever be Luke Skywalker. I bet even today he can't even pump gas without someone yelling out "Luke, I am your father!"

Those are bad pictures of Carrie Fisher. If she lost 20 lbs, with makeup and botox and good lighting she would make a fine older matronly Leia.

There is too much pessimism in this thread. New Star Wars movies will be made, and George Lucas will not direct them. Everyone should be happy.

Hamill was in an accident in 77 - broke his cheek and nose.
I'm looking forward to these without Lucas.

Hamill in 2010:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
'Star Wars': Are the original actors too old for a sequel?

Joss Whedon probably wasn’t intending to make a provocative statement when he dropped an opinion on Disney’s plans for its Star Wars reboot. With evidence mounting that original trilogy actors Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, and Mark Hamill will appear in Episode VII, The Avengers writer-director said, “You know, I wouldn’t go back, I’d go forward. I would want to create characters that would resonate the way that they did.”

Other Star Wars fans have posted similar thoughts over the past week. A Forbes writer argued, “There’s a big risk here that the awkwardness of these older actors will hurt the film. That’s what happened with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull … Karen Allen, returning as Marion Ravenwood, seemed out of her element the whole time … I’m hoping for something fresh and exciting.” While on EW, one reader countered, “Joss is dead wrong about not bringing back Ford, Fisher, and Hamill for Star Wars VII. People want to see those characters and for Disney to pay 4 billion for SW rights and to throw something out there with all new characters…that would be beyond stupid.”

To be clear, Whedon did not say the original actors are too old to continue on the franchise. His comment simply advocated a fresh creative start. So let’s put aside what Whedon may or may not have meant and leave him out of this. Let’s tackle the “too old” question all by itself.
Fisher is 56. Hamill is 61. Ford is 70.

The notion that they are “too old” for a Star Wars film is completely absurd. One of the best characters in the franchise was the 1977 original film’s version of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He was played by 63-year-old Alec Guinness in a performance that earned him an Oscar nomination.

But there is a version of this question that arguably has merit and it goes like this: Are the actors too old … to play their original characters.

Ahh, see, that’s a question you can chew on.

It’s been 30 years since we last saw Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi. The trio were youthful, attractive and iconic figures who were branded into the memories of a generation of moviegoers. Realistically, their characters wouldn’t look or act like how we remember them, no more than your typical 50 year old looks or acts their 20-year-old selves. As an audience, we kind of know that, but we kind of don’t. Because if Ford isn’t wearing a vest and red-stripe pants, flying the Millennium Falcon, jabbing with Chewbacca, shooting first and being a smart-mouthed bad ass, he just isn’t Han Solo. But that would be like your dad walking around in 2013 wearing acid jeans, partying with his old college roommate and driving a Trans Am. If you thought it was rough sledding watching Ford try to recapture Indiana Jones in Crystal Skull, that performance was, by comparison, “only” 19 years after the release of Last Crusade. In other words: There is something to be said for preserving the memory of the original characters rather than stretching to recapture a magic moment in time.

Another point to consider, as Whedon seemed to suggest, is it’s arguably more exciting to start a new trilogy with an entirely fresh story and cast. One of the great things about the first Star Wars is how utterly alien its universe felt — every character, every ship, every planet, every weapon was new and strange and exciting. The film was the Cantina scene on a macro level. The more the new film tries to continue characters from the original trilogy, the more it risks making the same missteps as the prequels, which were obsessively focused on filling in the mythology of the original films with details best left to our imagination (we didn’t really need to know what Darth Vader was doing when he was 9). As comedian Patton Oswalt ranted about the prequels, “I don’t give a s–t where the stuff I love comes from, I just love the stuff I love.”

One hopes the original stars, if they show up in VII, will have relatively modest roles that feel natural and organic to launching a new story; characters that feel lived-in and age-appropriate, and not like an ’80s heavy metal band that reunites and tries to jump around on stage with their bellies spilling out of their spandex.

Ultimately, the reader above who supported the idea of bringing back the original cast is correct — “people want to see those characters.” Frankly, I want to see them too … just like I wanted to see a fourth Indy film. But unless director J.J. Abrams pulls off a miracle, we will probably walk away feeling a tad deflated about the on-screen reunion, like a delicate illusion has been cracked. I found a quote online that sums up this whole point.

Conveniently, it’s from Whedon, back in 2001, when asked about fans who wanted his Buffy the Vampire Slayer storyline to progress a certain way. He said, “Don’t give people what they want, give them what they need.” Star Wars: Episode VII will probably give us what we want, but the better choice might be to give us what we need.

Good article on why bringing back these senior citizens would be kind of a bad idea.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The notion that they are “too old” for a Star Wars film is completely absurd. One of the best characters in the franchise was the 1977 original film’s version of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He was played by 63-year-old Alec Guinness in a performance that earned him an Oscar nomination."

He didn't just compare these three to one of the greatest thespains of all time...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of people being "too old," if you follow the prequels' chronology, wasn't Old Ben Kenobi only like 45 or so in Star Wars?

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of people being "too old," if you follow the prequels' chronology, wasn't Old Ben Kenobi only like 45 or so in Star Wars?

22-23 Obi-Wan in Ep.1
32-33 in Ep.2
34-35 in Ep.3
+17
51-52 in Ep. 4

A bit older, but sure.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all seen Mark Hamill these days? Dude could be a stand-in for Darth Vader with the mask off.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I honestly think that they will have small parts and non of this will matter.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I honestly think that they will have small parts and non of this will matter.

Yeah, I'm sure if they are in it at all, it will be more like a cameo, something like them being the elder statesmen being consulted by the young whippersnappers who are driving the plot.

And yeah, they all look old and busted, but I'm sure with some judicious makeup, lighting, and postprocessing, they can be made to look a good bit better.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A new Star Wars every 2 to 3 years? Before those recent abominations came out I would have been excited, but now I'm just :fu:

So am I crazy for having a decent level of excitement here by now? I keep telling myself I am going to be disappointed, but somehow things keep showing me otherwise. As a fan who grew up with and lived Star Wars, I need these films to work.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads