1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 30, 2012.

1. otc

otc Senior member

The problem is that unless there is a compelling reason for an important-to-the-series romantic subplot...it really doesn't matter if poe is gay or not.

He can celebrate every successful mission at the bath house, but unless his love is what pulls Kylo Ren back from the dark side, there shouldn't be any screen time wasted on a secondary characters romantic life.

To Lucas's credit, is there ever any non-core-storyline romantic fluff in any of the movies? Other than Lando flirting a bit with Leia, I don't recall any other romance elements being forced into either trilogy that didn't involve padme or leia.

2. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Cue the claim you see about many movies that various male characters were engaging in coded homosexual innuendo.

"Did you see how worked up Luke got when he thought Han was going to leave--what other possible explanation could there be?"

If that's pathetic, what do you call remembering that obscure post from... four or five years ago?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Luke crushing on and later kissing his sister in the OT didn't scare anyone off from the franchise but finding out that one of the main characters is gay would. Gotcha.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

That presupposes that Lucas knew the extent of his "trilogy" from the getgo. I doubt it. Luke and Leia weren't brother and sister until ROTJ went into production.

5. Jr Mouse

If the writer of episode 8 or 9 decide to make Poe gay even if it was not originally part of the plan, that's not ok?

Gay people exist. I wouldn't have an issue with it at all even if I doubt it's going to happen in one of the core films.

EDIT: In Poe's case he wasn't even supposed to survive the crash until JJ changed plans while shooting because he liked the character so much.

6. otc

otc Senior member

The "there is another" line from yoda occurs in Empire.
    The meaning doesn't become apparent until ROTJ, but if Lucas wasn't already planning it, then there has got to be some other unknown character who is another hope...seems like planning the brother-sister relationship from at least ESB is the easiest explanation.

1 person likes this.
  7. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Why would it put you off if there's two male characters who flirt with each other. I can't see that Star Wars is going to turn into a romance, but for example Poe flirting with another character who happens to be male would hardly be any different from Lando flirting with Leia in terms of character 'rounding'. Do coincidentally gay characters put people off going to see a film?

I suspect if they do decide to make one the characters gay it will just be flirting along the lines of Lando and Leia, but we don't know how minor a character Poe will be in future films. I really don't care if there's the Han Solo/Leia relationship created between two male characters - arguably that was very much a subplot that did little more than develop character rather than move the main plot forward.

1 person likes this.
  8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

To see how this can be done well, watch CW's Legends of Tomorrow S1E08 Night of the Hawk. A little girl-on-girl was woven seamlessly and sensibly into the plot.

9. Jr Mouse

Actually my understanding is it was supposed to be a new character originally. The whole reason Lucas made her his sister is because it was the easiest thing he could think of to tie that loose end up.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

In and of itself, no, it doesn't put people off. What would put me off is obvious social pressure to deliberately ret-con a character to be gay in Star Wars, and then Disney caving, making the franchise a vehicle for SJWs, generally. Poe's sexuality is not an issue, so don't make it one just to make the franchise "hip." I want to freaking see Luke Skywalker do some Jedi stuff.

11. Jr Mouse

Yeah but it's not really a ret-con if his sexuality is not presented one way or the other in the film. Just because they didn't write him as a stereotype, doesn't mean he may or may not be gay. It's such a non-issue. I promise you if it does happen it won't be dwelled on and won't matter to the plot of the movie.

2 people like this.
  12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Agreed - I can't say when I watched the film I had a clue (or cared) about the character's sexuality - there's nothing explicit either way. I don't understand why it matters if the character ends up flirting with Finn rather than Rey - I don't see the series suddenly turning into a romance, at most it will be scenes to show the characters as people who care about other people - basic character development, rather than the plot focus.

1 person likes this.
  13. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Cuz it goes against everything we know about Poe.

He's the best damn pilot in the Resistance! He won't cough up secrets under torture! And he destroyed the Starkiller base almost singlehandedly!

Surely he likes to put his hoo-hoo dilly in a woman's cha-cha.

14. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

If anyone is going gay; it's Rey.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Your gay.

17. grundletaint

My gay what?

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Mom.

:rimshot:

19. grundletaint

I thought that was just an old college friend!

1 person likes this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

If she went to Sarah Lawrence or UC Santa Cruz, then you were probably right.