• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official: STAR WARS THREAD. These are the droids you're looking for. **WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Luke was in uncharted space which is why the coordinates wouldn't work and they needed a map to show how to get to the uncharted territory. BB8's piece showed where Luke is while R2D2 showed the path to get there.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't they establish that Han and Chewie were in the area looking for the MF? Unless i'm mistaken they knew it was on the planet but were not sure who was in position of it at that exact moment. They were not just randomly hanging out near the one planet in the whole galaxy that the MF was on.

Also I don't know how anyone could call the relationship between Rey and Finn in this film a "romance." It was anything but. Finn obviously liked her, but that does not a romance make.

Last edited:

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
A few others:

Pros:
-The "Triumph of the Will" speech.
-Rey's introduction and continued mystery of who she really is.
-Sequence where Poe shoots down a bunch of Ties as Finn watches.
-C3PO's funny, perfectly-in-character entrance.
-Kylo failing to probe Rey.
-A lightsaber can do more than chop off limbs.
-Luke looks like hell.

Cons:
-Emperor Part Deux... except BIGGER.
-The ridiculous CGI monsters Han was hauling.
-The Scottish and Asian bounty hunters.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I thought Luke was in uncharted space which is why the coordinates wouldn't work and they needed a map to show how to get to the uncharted territory. BB8's piece showed where Luke is while R2D2 showed the path to get there.

The book adaption apparently established BB8 was the one that "woke" R2D2 from hibernation by telling him he had the other part of the map. It certainly wasn't clear on film and I interpreted it as being finally being around Rey woke the droid. A hint that she may be his daughter or has a past connection with him from the Jedi Academy.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The great thing about co-ordinates, though, is that they work anywhere. If you've figured out a system of co-ordinates (latitude, longitude) then it doesn't matter if you don't know what's in that section of the map, you can still provide a set of co-ordinates to lead you to a particular spot in that section.

Clearly, Luke made the map, so he could simply have provided co-ordinates rather than a map with a dotted line running through it which, you may have noticed, Rey and Chewie entirely ignored and bypassed when they went to visit Luke - they left the Resistance base, jumped to hyperspace, and emerged at Luke's planet. It made the whole map pointless.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is something else they established in the novel. The map was actually put together from the data that R2D2 downloaded from the Death Star in the OT. It's a map data of all the known Jedi temples that Vader had used to hunt down the Jedi. The implication being that they believed that Luke went to the first Jedi temple and the only way to find it was that old map data.

Maybe Luke removed the part of the map to this temple and gave it to the old man on the planet that was killed by Kylo because he felt he was the only one he could trust with it. I think the history of him and Luke is established in the book.

Movies like this always have details left out that make it to the novel adaptions.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Movies like this always have details left out that make it to the novel adaptions.

Well, that's irritating.

I have no problem with a movie that is based upon a novel having less detail than the novel as, with most novel adaptations, you need to leave out details otherwise the movie will be ten hours long.

However, for a movie that was written as a movie script to leave out details that would assist understanding, and to then put those details into a book adaptation of the movie - that just strikes me as lazy!

Suntory

Reaction score
What if Master Luke and Rey become lovers during their training?

Suntory

Reaction score
Guys, if you read EU, the most fucked up part is that Palpatine has a grand-son, and Luke trains him.

W

T

F

But how Palpatine became a sith lord, that was a great novel.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what are some of the better/best EU books I could pick up? Ideally ones that don't require me to read other books to get a sense of what's going on.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what are some of the better/best EU books I could pick up? Ideally ones that don't require me to read other books to get a sense of what's going on.

The original Zahn trilogy.
KJAnderson Jedi Academy trilogy
Courtship of Princess Leia
Shadows of the Empire
Rogue Squadron

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The book adaption apparently established BB8 was the one that "woke" R2D2 from hibernation by telling him he had the other part of the map. It certainly wasn't clear on film and I interpreted it as being finally being around Rey woke the droid. A hint that she may be his daughter or has a past connection with him from the Jedi Academy.

I hadn't realized that R2D2 was possibly Rey's father. That's a new theory I hadn't heard before. That would explain why Rey could speak to BB8, however.

:nodding:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, that's irritating. 

I have no problem with a movie that is based upon a novel having less detail than the novel as, with most novel adaptations, you need to leave out details otherwise the movie will be ten hours long. 

However, for a movie that was written as a movie script to leave out details that would assist understanding, and to then put those details into a book adaptation of the movie - that just strikes me as lazy! 

No really. This happens all the time with book adaptions of movies. Even the books written as adaptions for the OT at the time had additional details. Sometimes this is to add texture, sometimes it's scenes that made the cutting room floor during movie editing and sometimes the author is using the freedom of the book format to expand upon the story.

This is by no means unique to TFA. There are many examples of this with different films. I'm honestly a little surprised you were not aware that this happens.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interesting concept art for TFA reveals what might have been:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...r-was-going-to-be-in-the-sequel-a6787416.html

It's an interesting concept. Even in death Anakin might still be struggling with the dark side, but I am glad it stayed out of this film. There really wasn't a place for it and Disney was rightfully keen to distance themselves from the Prequels. As said in the link above, only Ewan McGregor’s Obi-Wan Kenobi made a brief appearance in voice only to Rey.

It's been pointed out that early concept art for SW has a tendency to make it into future films. So be open to the possibility this may happen in a future installment of the franchise.

Shame they didn't leave Hayden Christensen in the new movie. It would have explained why Luke ran away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads