• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try adding that size to your basket after purchasing because it can come up saying sorry this item is out of stock, before the actual size availability has updated.

Yes I put it into my basket and I could of ordered it. And it's still showing the size available several hours after I ordered the last one! Just checked.

It doesn't really matter, but Mr. P should not be doing this - it's manipulative and I expect it's also something that would be deemed inappropriate by trading standards.

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Did you try adding that size to your basket after purchasing because it can come up saying sorry this item is out of stock, before the actual size availability has updated.
This has happened to me as well.

Order regularly on Mr P sales and have only had my order cancelled (after receiving order confirmation, as opposed to the above) once ever. Every store gets quantities in stock wrong once in a while in sale season, so they're actually doing well in that regard considering their (presumably) high volume of sales (good price, free returns etc).

It doesn't really matter, but Mr. P should not be doing this - it's manipulative and I expect it's also something that would be deemed inappropriate by trading standards.

Can't comment on your experience but that hasn't happened to me, and for sure I wouldn't call them "manipulative" - more likely you got a once off situation.

c21ban

Reaction score
Does it really matter what the inventory is when you find what you are looking for at a price that is acceptable to you? Maybe their inventory system has not caught up to their actual sales. My bigger issue is when you commit to purchase and then a day later you are notified they do NOT have your purchase in stock! This has happened to me twice in the last week and it is a much bigger issue.

I would much rather have the problem that you are referencing and knowing I can get the product than to take the time to commit and then be told it is no longer available!

Just my 0.02 FWIW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1up

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me as well.

Order regularly on Mr P sales and have only had my order cancelled (after receiving order confirmation, as opposed to the above) once ever. Every store gets quantities in stock wrong once in a while in sale season, so they're actually doing well in that regard considering their (presumably) high volume of sales (good price, free returns etc).

Can't comment on your experience but that hasn't happened to me, and for sure I wouldn't call them "manipulative" - more likely you got a once off situation.

Had that problem 3 or 4 times with mr porter. They always gave me 10 dollars in store credit which is nothing compared to the amount I would have saved.

Mr P encourages people to buy and decide later. I was looking at mr. P this year & am underwhelmed - I sent back more than 3/4 of everything I bought. Oh well.

Enexde96

Reaction score
Does it really matter what the inventory is when you find what you are looking for at a price that is acceptable to you? Maybe their inventory system has not caught up to their actual sales. My bigger issue is when you commit to purchase and then a day later you are notified they do NOT have your purchase in stock! This has happened to me twice in the last week and it is a much bigger issue.

I would much rather have the problem that you are referencing and knowing I can get the product than to take the time to commit and then be told it is no longer available!

Just my 0.02

There is much worse stuff done by stores though. I've had smaller boutiques cancel my orders 7+ days after purchasing due to inventory error, forget to ship for many days, and charge my card multiple times on mistake. Correcting an inventory error the next day is pretty fast actually. Mr. Porter is a pretty big company and in my experience their customer service is amazing; literally the best from any online retailer I've dealt with aside from ssense maybe. These mistakes are super minor and you're blowing them way out of proportion. I highly doubt they're devoting time and resources to manipulate you into buying with the whole "Last item available" and you shouldn't let yourself get pressured into buying it anyways. You should buy it if you think the price is good and you want it

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No big deal mate, buy your **** and enjoy it. There are many reasons why this could happen. Mr. Porter has one of the best return shipping policies (read: FREE RETURNS) so it's completely feasible that people have actually returned that item and the inventory management system has updated. Firstly, the statement "only one left" should have zero bearing on you buying the item (you're responsible for controlling your impulses). And secondly, if seeing the item back in stock changes your mind, then you are free to return it.

Is Mr Porter (UK) intentionally misleading customers? On several occasions now I have ordered what has been advertised as: "Only one left" - only to check the inventory directly after placing my order to see the same size still available and still advertised as "Only one left". Either this is a glitch with their inventory control and if you place an order for that item it will be cancelled due to lack of stock, or they are misleading customers? This has happened on at least 3 occasions during the Sale so I do see something going on here which maybe underhand sales practice.

BTW: Last day of the Mr Porter UK Sale and there do appear to be some increased discounts (up to 70%) on a few things.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea it is misleading but I've seen worse. I was looking for old fashioned glasses on Amazon and they said the set was normally $80 but was half off. I did a Google search on the product and sku and everywhere else was selling it for $40 and even listed that as the MSRP. **** Amazon, (they killed all the bookstores) I went to my local Bed, Bath, and Beyond and bought it there.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know BB&B is a chain but it's nowhere near as large as Amazon and there are no mom and pop shops that sell this type of thing that I know of in my area.

My point was more to support local brick and mortar stores instead of buying everything online blindly. (unless the price is significantly lower online) Well that and I think what Amazon was doing is false advertising and gives them an unfair playing field.

There's something to be said about seeing a product in person and touching it versus buying online sight unseen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads