1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. 1up

1up Senior member

That's nice of them - what did you purchase?

2. MrPorterBot

MrPorterBot Senior member

Suede just seemed "not buttery" to try to explain it, dry/stiff and lacking weight.

Speaking of SLP, their Western Suede Bomber has the most amazing suede i've ever felt, not thats its worth the original price tag

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Split suede usually has a shorter nap.

One of my MMM 5-zips is made from a split suede. I'm also getting a pair of split suede Saint Crispin's shoes. IMO, the quality of suede is usually overthought. If you like the item and how it looks, that seems more important than some dimension you can't really discern.

3 people like this.
  4. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  5. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

not always. some full-grain suedes often have a short (luxurious!) nap as well.
    Split suede is definitely more stretchy however (since the stiffer grain side has been split off ).

6. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

Reverse suede is also wearing more warm since the grain side is still there. I guess it's like comparing calf to lamb leather.

7. aqwayne93

aqwayne93 Senior member

I feel like the issue is when the pricing of said item that we like takes up "X" amount of income, then the thought turns towards value and worth. We like to know the item we are shelling out big bucks for not only looks good, but is of high quality and craftsmanship. This is where fast fashion succeeds, garments are bought purely for the aescetic and the pricing is low enough for impulse buys.

8. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Yea, but so long as the item makes you feel good and it looks awesome, I'm not sure what else really matters. Split is supposedly less durable than reverse suede, but seriously -- who's ever had a pair of suede shoes spit on the upper? Or a suede jacket split at a part that wasn't the seam?

If you're buying from a crappy fast fashion company, you probably already know your item is low quality (aside from just material). A Margiela split suede jacket isn't going to give out on you, neither are Saint Crispin's split suede shoes. If you don't like how the suede feels, that seems valid; but trying to discern if something is split or reverse, then back-tracking that to something you read on the internet, seems kind of stupid.

Anyway, back to sales.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

Wasn't aware that mother of pearl buttons were considered exotic and any products with them could not be shipped to Canada.

10. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

11. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

just FYI

things get returned quite often so dont give up on a piece that went OOS... keep it in your bookmark/cart/wishlist or whatever and check daily

in other news, i got hit with duties fees by fedex for buying stuff from endclothing even though order was under 800... sigh. contacted End and they surprisingly seem to be uncooperative so ill have to see how this plays out

12. Hype1234

Hype1234 Senior member

Haha from what site? That's almost as bad as some US shops that restrict Canada Goose from coming back to Canada because of the "exotic" fur content.

13. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior member

Deja-vu.

14. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Senior member

Moral of the story, boycott any store that uses Fedex. Ill never buy from anyone/any store that uses fedex even if I was dying and only they could deliver the antidote. fuck them and ups too.

3 people like this.
  15. accordion

accordion Senior member

You need to call Fedex, I've had duties (under $100) written off before and with pretty much no explanation required. This was before the new law.

16. Regg

Regg Senior member

I haven't found anything that great in a while, but barneyswarehouse is having a decent sale

17. DaVinci

DaVinci Senior member

barneys warehouse is having an extra % off sale up to 60%.

A really good deal is opening ceremony 40% off sale with code MERCURY40. They have black and grey achilles mids for $156. All sizes available in black at the moment.

18. Jvog

Jvog Senior member

happened on mr. p, and it was unfortunate because it happened with two shirts.

19. magicspot

magicspot Well-Known Member

shouldnt farfetch start sending out 10% and 15% coupons off sale by now? i havent seen any.