• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jsimonovis413

Reaction score
What does flipping clothes mean?
confused.gif
- n00b here.

Wade

Reaction score
Buying with no intention of wearing but instead sell for higher

jsimonovis413

Reaction score
Buying with no intention of wearing but instead sell for higher

Is that bad? I did that just yesterday. My local Saks had 2 pairs of Celine skates/slip ons on clearance that I plan to milk on ebay!

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you buy something that you like but unsure on fit/aesthethic and then flip It isnt that bad. Otherwise you aré that asshole stealing deals from everyone.....

Last edited:

jsimonovis413

Reaction score
If you buy something that you like but unsure on fit/aesthethic and then flip It isnt that bad since you are 'experimenting'. Otherwise you aré that asshole.....

And what about that makes me an asshole? Because I'm trying to make a profit? That's kind of silly to me.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't act like you don't know the difference between flipping something that otherwise would not find its audience, and racing to snipe an amazing deal from everyone before it sells out.

If Myhabit puts Rick Owens geobaskets on sale for $300 and within one minute you buy every pair and list them on ebay at 150% markup then it should be obvious to anyone that you are an asshole. There are obviously grey areas, but the above situation with the Barbours is not one of them.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst is when the resellers act all high and mighty like they are providing a valuable service to people

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The worst is when the resellers act all high and mighty like they are providing a valuable service to people

Actually, there are some cases where that's true. I mean, what about a store like What Comes Around Goes Around that scours thrift shops for amazing items and sells them to people who appreciate them but don't have time to travel the country looking for them? Is WCAGA doing a disservice to the shoppers of those thrift stores by stealing the hidden gems and flipping them?

But obviously there is no service being done in most cases and it's just parasitic behavior.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like this sale season is really long, but also generally pretty ****.
Maybe that's just because FW is better.

jsimonovis413

Reaction score
Don't act like you don't know the difference between flipping something that otherwise would not find its audience, and racing to snipe an amazing deal from everyone before it sells out.

If Myhabit puts Rick Owens geobaskets on sale for $300 and within one minute you buy every pair and list them on ebay at 150% markup then it should be obvious to anyone that you are an asshole. There are obviously grey areas, but the above situation with the Barbours is not one of them.
Im not sure if this is aimed at me or notttttt. I JUST learned the meaning of the term flipping and I was very upfront about engaging in "flipping" behavior lol

I normally wouldn't go out of my way to purchase several items of the same kind so I can re-sell them all, but if I see something that is deeply discounted and I can make a profit on it, I will most certainly take the chance to do so.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is aimed at me or notttttt. I JUST learned the meaning of the term flipping and I was very upfront about engaging in "flipping" behavior lol

I normally wouldn't go out of my way to purchase several items of the same kind so I can re-sell them all, but if I see something that is deeply discounted and I can make a profit on it, I will most certainly take the chance to do so.

Like, if you buying them and reselling gives you some profit + allows someone who wants them to get them for the original price or better, that's definitely a win-win situation in my opinion (the ones who want to buy most likely wouldn't have found the deal you found anyway so)

so
If you sell above retail: asshole
If you sell for retail: You're totally fine
If you sell below retail: You're better than fine

just my opinion
smile.gif

LeeroyDaBoy

Reaction score
I buy stuff and then sell it for less than what I paid for it. Does that make me Willy Wonka status when it comes to flipping?

newp

Reaction score

There actually WAS exactly the same situation once. Not with Barbours but with geos.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads