1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

re: Unionmade

I'll start off by saying that I've made multiple purchases from Unionmade recently, including on this sale season before they released the 20% off code because they only had one left in my size (an Arpenteur jacket) and I wanted it. Also, in the past two weeks I saw something on their instagram which was one of a kind and not even on the site and I phoned their brick and mortar location in San Francisco and paid full price.

The point I was making was that they do go past the current sale prices even when they're offering another 40% off. In the past 12 months or so they've had two of their "warehouse" sales, or whatever they call them, where they had items up to 90% off if I recall correctly. Yes, it was up to 90% off. So the point is that if they've done that twice in the past 12 months or so, where they've had pieces that were even two years old, wouldn't it make more sense to actually offer the 40% off code on top of the sale say for three days or so and get rid of their inventory at ~ 64% off (40% off 40% isn't 80% off as someone mentioned)? That's not to mention the fact that you're actually getting money for your inventory rather than just letting it sit until you have one of your archival sales where you make even less. As for me personally, there is nothing I need or really want too badly, just rather finding it odd how they do it. That said I do agree that's it smart on their part as someone mentioned to actually set their sale period and then clear the decks so to speak. I also agree that some people, though not all, do get to a point where they just wait for sales. However the best way to control that is to control your inventory.

Anyway, I like Unionmade. IMO probably the best selection out there even if only so much of it fits me. I also have only ever had great service from them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would say that that's not always the case.

But most of what I buy is non-seasonal, and from companies that have been making the same piece for at least the last half decade or so.

1 person likes this.
  3. LA Guy

I like Unionmade, in theory, but every time I step into the B&M, I am filled with a profound sense of boredom. It is the one store where I regularly run into industry folks though. Last time I was in, I ran into one of the reps for Boglioli who I'd previously run into/met at Pitti. In San Francisco alone, I much prefer MAC or Maas&Stacks.

Unionmade seems to reserve the bulk of their cool stuff for online. None of their Kapital is in store, ever. They do carry Ts(S) instore, which is nice, and SNS Herning, which is nice, but which is sorta old hat at this point (i.e. I like and wear their sweaters but I don't really care to see them take up a whole wall.)

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Yeah, that's what I understand to be the case about the brick and mortar location in San Francisco. Apparently End is quite similar in that regard, probably even more so the case. I didn't make to Unionmade when I was in town back in March. Meetings went too late and instead of ditching some of my coworkers I decided to "shop" with them.

Even if I'm skeptical of some of the fits, some great stuff online. I also like their collab pieces. I like Alden for example, but I'm not into Alden as much as some of the diehards here. However Unionmade does some great makeups. Anyway, it's Unionmade where I discovered my favorite brand (Cabourn) and thus Styleforum.

5. Austo

Austo Active Member

Last time I was in their SF location (like a year ago) they did have Kapital, but I had to ask to see it and they basically tossed up a plastic bin from the back with all their stock on a table and I had to dig through it to find pieces .

6. thedavidmurray

thedavidmurray Well-Known Member

Speaking of outlet sites that stay up all year, go to https://www.haberdashoutlet.com/ and try to add an infinity number of an item to your cart. I just ordered infinity-ish of a couple sweaters. :slayer:

[​IMG]

7. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Would this be a bad time to mention that Unionmade is now at an extra 40% off?

8. sepp

sepp Senior member

I recalled Fok mentioning Mr. Porter prices are inclusive of destination duties.

Just a quick if anyone can help; which other online sites are giving similar services?

9. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

[​IMG] You're welcome gentlemen. [​IMG]

Well that swayed me. Placed a nice order.

10. metronomy

metronomy Active Member

Unionmade start "extra40"

11. LA Guy

12. AlexanderTG

AlexanderTG Senior member

This just in: Unionmade website buffering wait times eclipse Ticketmaster world record.

But I got my Needles linen pants $405->$159.

Thanks, Unionmaster.

1 person likes this.
  13. long_knives

long_knives Senior member

14. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Well they've just done that 40%+40%. They clear their stock through the warehouse sale.

15. bamgrinus

bamgrinus Senior member

Personally I don't really think it's a bad idea for stores to do the 40% off clearance thing, since inventory costs them, and I think the number of shoppers who will wait for further drops at a specific store are in the minority. I think more online bargain hunters are just opportunists; when they see that a store is having a really big sale, they hit it up without much regard for who it is. Also, a lot of these people are buying brands that they'd never consider buying at anywhere near full price, so it's not like by avoiding really deep discounts you'd be gaining sales from them. If anything, the hope is that by allowing these people to sample brands that are normally out of their price range, you'll make a fan of them and make them more likely to splurge down the road.

2 people like this.
  16. normusmaximus

normusmaximus Well-Known Member

That's completely true for me. I picked up a nice Mackintosh jacket made up in Loro Piana storm fabric that would never end up in my closet otherwise.

17. sussi

sussi Senior member

any store with some adidas x raf simons stans smiths on sale?

18. lmaozedong

lmaozedong Senior member

why would you want those.

19. long_knives

long_knives Senior member

Yeah, those are stupid. But the other rafdidas are the bomb.

20. pdsf

pdsf Senior member

Unfortunately, I have not had much luck with their CS. I rarely, if ever, get a response. They would rectify their errors, but not after multiple emails. I know I should just call them but my work rarely permits me the opportunity to call during their opening hours.

They do have some interesting stuff.