1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

Matches:

Not one thing is marked @ 70% off from where I'm looking.

[​IMG]

2. irbe

irbe Senior member

^I got the same

3. Khronos

Khronos Well-Known Member

While they aren't the cheapest out the the service is definitely worth it + I use their boxes as knitwear storage.

4. Regg

Regg Senior member

5. ike_hiking_boots

This is very interesting. Do Matches have a warehouse based in the USA for US deliveries or does it all ship from the UK?

Having different promotional prices for different countries - or maybe it works out the same because of the exchange rate they use?

6. Regg

Regg Senior member

ships from UK for free. not sure how they can do that.

7. ambyance

ambyance Senior member

just fyi, just got hit by customs from endclothing
    purchase was <200 and country of manufacture is japan

8. ike_hiking_boots

is there a min. spend to get free shipping?

9. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

They aren't? They were the cheapest for a few things I've ordered, and their discounts generally seem pretty good. Obviously it takes some time for things to drop, but the % off is the same as the other popular discounters. And +1 on the boxes, those are great.

And it's free 3 day shipping, too. I get stuff from them in half the time it takes Barney's Warehouse to deliver.

10. ike_hiking_boots

Matches:

So I changed my desitination country to USA but kept the price in pounds and the boots went from 60% off to 70% off.

This is great for some but will infuriate a lot of customers in the UK if they get wind.

They must be crunching data to come up with such marketing.

I am not to fussed, they stock very few brands that are of interest to me.

11. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

No, there's a code on the site banner that gives free shipping and returns for anything to the US.

12. ike_hiking_boots

Have to give Matches 10 out of 10 for roling out all the stops.

I just wished they stocked a few more brands I like.

13. Regg

Regg Senior member

I get stuff next day in NJ...I feel guilty when I only order one item

14. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

From Belgium.

Tbh, the shipping fee in my case (for 2 shirts) was $66.55, so I think that potential loss in itself will keep stopping me from ordering things of which I can't be certain that I will like them/they will fit. I'm ok with sinking 10 euros into shipping costs to try things out but 66 USD... too much.

I think the most I ever spent on non-recoverable shipping fees to try sth out was sth like 20-30 euros (on a US order).

15. ike_hiking_boots

I see it as part of the items price. Of course if you're not 100% sure about what you're ordering it's risky.

UNIONMADE charge $60 for shipping - I still ordered a couple of items from their warehouse sale. One of the items didn't work out, but I was able to sell on eBay without a loss. The other item was an item that retailed at £400 and ended up costing me just over £100 (including the shipping). You will be hard pushed to find anyone in the US who will ship something tracked to Europe for less than $40.

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

We ship all international orders for $39.95. They cost us a lot more to ship (as others here have noticed when trying not to ship internationally) but we keep it simple with one flat rate

17. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

Did you get hit by the UK customs from Unionmode?

18. ike_hiking_boots

Yes I got hit. I was charged something like £15 which was paid to the Postman in cash.

I believe UnionMade mark the items for customs at the trade value not the retail value. Whatever they did I could not see as it was not shown on the package, but the duties I had to pay were a lot less than I expected.

Both Barneys and MP add the duties at point of sale. It takes the guess work out - and I think you avoid the handling charge that way.

Ordering from the States is only really financially viable when the discounts are heavy.

The only time I will order something from the US at full retail is when it's not available here, or is sold out here. ROY jeans for example - which are only available from SelfEdge. They offer free shipping.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. needhelp123

needhelp123 Senior member

Its stupid to watch somethigg all season and when it hits 30-50 you are not happy and want it to drop to 70 and cry about it here when its gone.

The foolproof way:

If its popular item thats selling well during off sale season e.g some sizes are low stock or something, when it hits 30 jump on it right away and be happy you saved 30% which is $30 for every $100

If not just keep checkibg everyday and if your size says low stock last one etc then jump on it straight away if not then wait till 50 and you better be quick when its 50 because it will sell quick some people shop based on price not design.

70% is for when you are shopping for the price, i dont think ive ever gotten skmething that high discount that ive watched for a season, you night be lucky if you find something you liked on Barneys warehouse or sormthing.

Its very simple you either truly want it or you dont give two shits about it

20. ike_hiking_boots

Depends what it is.

I generally feel a 30% discount is lame.

But then some brands rarely go beyond this at Sale, as they can put stock into their Outlet Stores.

I wanted a pair of Edward Green shoes from the MP Sale. They've gone to 30% but still cost over £500. They've now sold out of my size. I'm not going to cry over them because £500 is way over the limit I want to pay for a pair of shoes. Yes I would really like them, but they'd had to be at least 50% off before I would consider purchasing. 50% off usually does it for me, 70% is just good fortune.