• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
comme de **** down

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the **** kind of shakedown is this? Just got an email from mohawk offering me $300 for the TSS coat I bought this morning for $180. Apparently, there was an 'error', the retail is very high, and the pricing was a 'mistake', but would I like to buy it at $300, which is below the super-inflated retail?

ffffuuuu.gif

I missed out on other stuff for this?

welcome to scam city

six1101

Reaction score
Can't believe I missed that SNS Herning deal. If anyone who managed to order ends up not wanting theirs, I'm looking to purchase.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What the **** kind of shakedown is this? Just got an email from mohawk offering me $300 for the TSS coat I bought this morning for $180. Apparently, there was an 'error', the retail is very high, and the pricing was a 'mistake', but would I like to buy it at $300, which is below the super-inflated retail?

:fu:

What jacket was this? I'd say that $300 is a pretty good deal for most Ts(S) jackets, from what I've seen.

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hahahahahaha SF saleshark entitlement at its finest

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They have 'put the jacket aside for me'. The one I already bought.
Goddammit.

comme de **** down

This.

It's much better to be frank about your disappointment, but suggest feasible alternatives. It's pretty clear that you are not going to get your jacket for $180. Maybe your fallback position is to get a coupon on something in season, in addition to the jacket for $300. The margins for in season goods are much higher, and you are more likely to get leeway. And never demand it, even if you feel entitled to it. Phrase it as asking for a favor. Here is an example:

"I really wanted those boots, and $180 sounded like a great deal. I guess that it was too good to be true. Unfortunately, $300, even though a very good price, is outside the pricerange for me right now. Had I known that there was an error in the pricing beforehand, I would have bought something else, such as the SNS Herning sweaters that were on sale for $120. Do you have any of those left? Would it be possible to get a coupon (maybe 25%) towards a future order? Thanks for understanding my situation. Yours, noob."

That sort of conciliatory attitude will get you a lot further. Attacking people invariably gets them on the defensive, and you'll probably not get anywhere.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely sign it with noob, that will seal the deal.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:laugh:

Thanks for the advice. I would never attack anyone over an honest mistake, but when when they come back with a solution straight out of a shady car lot ("How 'bout we just charge you this higher price? After all, it's much lower than our inflated retail!") my alarm bells go off. It's the disappointment of the bait and switch, coupled with the lost time, and the lost opportunities of comparably-priced sale items from other vendors that bums me out -- not the feeling that I am entitled to anything more than what I was offered and paid for.

Sales shark could make a good custom title, though.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Probably bc they knew of the glitch since a few dozen orders came through all at once that it was the reason why you purchased. So instead of dancing around it and saying look you ain't gettin this **** bc of a **** up on our end, they said they'd be willing to sell for 300. I wouldn't equate that with shady car lot practices or a bait and switch.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, whatever their intentions, that's pretty much textbook -- dangle a low, but illusory, price, get buyers to commit to that, then it's easier to sell them on a higher price they would have otherwise rejected -- all while insisting its a great deal, of course. The person who e-mailed me even mentioned the proverbial talk with the boss in the back room. I mean, what's next, are they having a sales contest this month? Are they also just one Half-Price Herning away from winning a mountain vacation? :p

I'm sure it was just a mistake, but I would have preferred them just to say sorry and here's your dough back. Otherwise, they're saying the price is both absolute and negotiable, and they are haggling when their buyers have already paid.

Last edited:

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah takes some nerve to gripe about it. Who was it who accidentally sold AE shoes for $35 and canceled everyone's order? Mohawk is within their rights to do that just as they would if you bought something that had sold out. It's a mistake, it happens. Don't get me wrong--I would've done the same thing you did. (And I got a $55 flannel suit jacket from JCrew the same way.) But you can hardly be surprised that an independent shop tries to saves its ass on a deal that clearly wasn't right. Accept or don't. I think LA Guy has the right approach. You can still make out pretty nicely.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude (Noob),

I don't know why you keep on saying "inflated retail". Ts(S) is an expensive brand. It's just plain old retail. It's not like Ts(S) is dramatically cheaper elsewhere. A grand for a jacket is pretty common with the brand. And generally, a bait and switch is usually characterized by the product being not as advertised. For example:

Jet: "Yo dawg you gonna hook me up some level 10 hoes"
Pimp: "You sure dowg"
Sends over a fat middle aged Puerto Rican "woman" with a mustache.
Jet: "Oh ****, but I need to bust my nut so bad guess it's all good koshesh"

That, that's a bait and switch.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
ahahahahahahahaaa

bait and switch is when you bait them with something cheaper and try to upsell them dayoos (or maybe it's both :shrug:)

i don't disagree with noob's 2nd part, straightforward is always best

Last edited:

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude (Noob),

I don't know why you keep on saying "inflated retail". Ts(S) is an expensive brand. It's just plain old retail. It's not like Ts(S) is dramatically cheaper elsewhere. A grand for a jacket is pretty common with the brand. And generally, a bait and switch is usually characterized by the product being not as advertised. For example:

Jet: "Yo dawg you gonna hook me up some level 10 hoes"
Pimp: "You sure dowg"
Sends over a fat middle aged Puerto Rican "woman" with a mustache.
Jet: "Oh ****, but I need to bust my nut so bad guess it's all good koshesh"

That, that's a bait and switch.

A classic bait and switch. Sounds like my Saturday nights. Hate it when that happens. :satisfied:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads