1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Official Sales Alert thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Jun 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. jet

jet Senior member

bc that would make too much sense

2. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Mr Porter is offering 50% off Styleforum fines. PM me if you want a proxy

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    17 people like this.
  3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Actually, we have had sellers pay fines of up to $2K, within the hour. Some sellers make a lot on the forum using our free services.

I actually offered him $100, since he seemed like a reasonable guy. After posting in violation of our policies, and then arguing with a member about his conduct, there was no way we could let him off scott free. He opted to register under two different usernames (MacbookPro and Andrewgreg1) instead, and ask members to help him circumvent his timeout. That put him on my permanent shit list.

Note to idiots: If you PM a bunch of guys on an internet forum saying that you have been timed out, so please email me at my personal email instead, what is the likelihood that at least one of them is going to report you? C'mon now.

4. LA Guy

The $500 is supposedt to be a deterrent, and it generally works. When a powerseller deliberately plays the system, and is dinged, they pay, and usually, nearly immediately. Well, actually, they generally plead poverty, and after getting no reply, they pay after a couple of hours. Some of these guys do thousands a month through the forum. $500 is enough to hurt, but not enough to knock them out. The highest fine that we levied was $2K, and the majority of that was paid within 2 hours.

For guys like Andrewgreg, we sometimes decrease the fine to $100-200, depending on my mood. In his case, I offered him $100, which I thought was pretty generous, considering that he not only violated a very clearly stated policy, but he also argued with another member when he was called out. I mean, c'mon. That's just dumb.

Also, the guy is Chinese. He should have known that I was not going to take his going behind my back very kindly.

2 people like this.
  5. LA Guy

As long as you are proxying at cost, I'm good.

6. Noirkw

Noirkw Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I am not in the US, so I can't have access to any. Haha

7. LA Guy

ahem. You serious?

8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Dear everyone PMing me about proxies (yes, seriously)

This was a joke. Thx + hugs

10 people like this.
  9. LA Guy

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

2 people like this.
  10. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

What is your email address? No one ever responds to messages/emails to the support listed on the site

11. LA Guy

styleforum.net@gmail.com. What's up?

fwiw, the support is for technical issues, and that stuff is put in a queue. Of course, tech geeks are not good at answering emails.

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

13. LA Guy

I'm gonna need a drink...

2 people like this.
  14. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

So if we were banned who do we email?

15. LA Guy

No one....?

We hardly ever ban anyone. If you get banned, (not just from B&S or from a specific thread, or whatever), it's probably for something like a using a racist slur, which gets an autoban, or you've just been such an unrelenting pain that no one can take it any more. Or you can really piss me off, like Andrewgreg did, by deciding that the rules that go for everyone else don't go for you. If you are banned, therefore, and you email me, it's pretty unlikely that you are going to get a sympathetic ear.

16. skeen7908

skeen7908 Senior member

I was temporarily banned for saying that hopefully Hirsh would die soon (at least I think that was the reason, there is never any explanation given and no way to ask anyone)

How would I email you if that situation were to occur again?

1 person likes this.
  17. einstine

einstine Senior member

18. drebin

drebin Well-Known Member

Man I do love this thread sometimes.

2 people like this.
  19. LA Guy

Yes, that was the reason. No, we don't email explanations. It's usually pretty obvious why you were timed out. A time out is usually for doing something dumb, and generally doesn't last more than 2 weeks. And nearly no one is so dumb as to not understand where and how they crossed the line. I mean, wishing that someone dies? Not cool, man. I don't care how annoying you find that person.

My mods and I have enough to do without sending out emails stating the obvious. Back in the day, we'd time people out, and edit their post to read something like "I said something dumb and now I am timed out for 2 weeks."

20. althanis

althanis Senior member

On the topic of banning people for doing stupid things, can you state the policy for idiotic posts like the above, and the one where Distorbiant offered up nonexistent codes for Mr. Porter? These types of posts just generally add to the noise and confusion in a thread which is known to derail too often.

2 people like this.